Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-7000
Yaesu FL-7000 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1895
Description: 500-700 watts out. 10-80 meter solid state.
More info: http://www.n4ats.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-7000.

WB2CRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Easy to use Amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a used FL-7000 several months back. I had it sent directly to Bill N4ATS for check out, mods and alignment. It's a wonderful solid state amp. They say the first 500 watts makes the difference and I would have to agree. I consistently bust pileups usually on the first or second attempt now. I am now working DX that was elusive before having the amp. I use it heavily on 20M SSB but I have tried it on almost all supported bands except 160M. I also run it on CW occasionally. I use it with the Yaesu FT-990(with band change cable)and Palstar AT2KD tuner. This is a very good combination for me! No amplifier tune up makes changing bands a breeze. It is very quiet with the first fan and not too noisy when the second fan kicks in (very rare occurrence). I often run the amp in RTTY mode (it's a four button model) which reduces the Vcc and reduces the output power to about 50%. That is often enough to get the job done. I am very happy with the amplifier and also highly recommend Bill N4ATS for mods and alignment!

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great with FT 950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a Yaesu FL-7100 from a long time owner who upgraded to an Alpha amplifier. The unit was upgraded with all the major mods from Bill Grassa, and once hooked up it does not disappoint. It puts out a solid 500 Watts across the bands and with the custom data cable both keys and auto band changes with my FT 950. What a combination. It is so easy that the only thing I need to do is to make sure that my antenna tuners are in the correct setting (which I need to do on lower 80m and on 15m). Totally sweet!

K9ALT Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK...here it is...I got a FT-990 a few years back with the intention of getting a matching amplifier, the FL-7000 was it. I hadn't really done anything in this regard since only a few months ago. Looking...looking...no luck...looking ...then BAM! There it is...Bill Grassa(N4ATS) has two for sale! I shot him an e-mail that afternoon and got a response that evening telling me had one left, with all the mods and on the bench being prepped out for sale. Bill was great, easy to deal with and very helpful with some questions I had about the 7000. I got the amp about a week after I sent payment, carefully unpacked it and hooked it up... then...nothing. Double checked everything...triple checked everything...still nothing. I couldn't figure out what was wrong...I called Bill...he stayed on the phone with me for about an hour till we had the amp going. Now I have an easy 600 watts out(as all you fellow 7000 owners know she'll do more) but we don't push it. I keep it between 500-600 watts and as Bill advises use an external tuner, as the internal tuner on the amp is v-e-r-y slow. The amp matches the 990 perfectly, it's super easy to operate and looks great. So two thumbs up one for Bill Grassa, N4ATS and the other for the FL-7000.

VE7OVY Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellant solid peformance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I decided to buy a small solid state amp, i first considered an ALS600 and a Tokyo HighPower HL-1.1K but was put off by the price. So I went looking around.

Purchased a used 4-button FL-7000 that was in good shape for $1200 from a Canadian ham, spent another $100+shipping having Bill N4ATS work his magic to make it better than-new, and am very pleased with its performance for the price. (check out Bill's ratings on the Eham repairs review page and you'll see why everyone raves about his service!).

The amp runs whisper quiet. Quieter than my FL9000 actually! The Fan-1 or 2 led comes on when i talk but cant really notice any difference in sound -have to stick my ear to the top vent to confirm its really on - they are, the fans are so quiet, hearing is believing!

I use it with an Ameritron AR704 amp keying interface "just to be safe" on my Flex5000 and my FT9000C. I consistently get 600w out on 80m with about 40w peak drive.

As per Bill's recommendations I run this amp on 115V, and use an outboard tuner just to be safe (Palstar At1KP). I run it on 115V circuit as Bill suggests and its been fine on a 15A circuit with intermittent SSB use at 600w. I like the fact that its no tune-up (solid state), nice big meters and fairly compact considering its power supply, autotuner & amp in one box.

Its the first amp Ive ever bought and with Bill's excellent refurbishment and servicing, I'm expecting many years out of this older but excellent amp. I'm very pleased with it, with one caveat - without Bill N4ATS, I likely would have spent a lot more on a new Tokyo High Power 1.1KL... I'm very happy with it!

N4WSH Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2010 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Short & Sweet  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'll keep my review short and sweet. I bought my 3 button FL-7000 for next too nothing as the guy who owned it bought a bigger amp. It came with everything as if new, including the dreaded SWR tripping. As others have done, I shipped it to Bill Grassa, and BAM, a sweet amp that gives about 650 watts out with NO issues at all.

N4RAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 18:22 Send this review to a friend
So Great I had to have Two !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second review of The Yaesu FL-7000. Why? Because I like this amp so much, I had to have 2 of them !!! Yes...that's right two of them. This one also, has had the Modifications done by "The Master"... Bill (N4ATS), and it works flawlessly and effortlessly just like the other one that Bill Grassa modified, for me about 3 years ago. This thing is a tank and is a "Thing of Beauty", inside and out. If you are lucky enough to find one at a Hamfest, buy it and send it to N4ATS in Florida for the modification. Bill is friendly, a great guy and his Customer Service is excellent. I put 100 Watts into my most recent purchase and it puts out 1100 Watts on my RF Applications P-3000 Watt Meter. Just wanted to see what it would do!! I run it at 600 Watts out and have had no problems with this Wonderful Amplifier.

W7ALE Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 00:31 Send this review to a friend
FL-7000/N4ATS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have you ever stopped to wonder why the Fl-7000's hold their value. A good part of the blame can be directed at Bill Grassa. Without him many of the amps would now be in the junk pile and the value of the remaining amps significantly reduced.
When I bought this amp 19 years ago it represented a major purchase. The oversensitivity and the slow tuner was making me crazy. I soon went to an external manual tuner and found a list of mods (later learned they were supplied by Bill) that greatly improved the swr & drive kick out problems and allowed me to regain some semblance of sanity.
Thru the years I excited the FL-7000 with three Yaesu rigs. The auto band switching and the alc worked great with all the rigs.
In recent years the fans kept getting noisier and nosier, then quit and the amp shut down. I sent the amp to Bill and he did his magic, performed all the mods,serviced the fans, and turned it around in two days. I live about as far from Bill as possible and still be in the lower 48 and I had the amp back in just over a week. Today it's a better amp than when it was new and so quiet I can't hear it. I could not be more pleased.

ZS1EL Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Thank you Bill Grassa!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a FL-7000 for 4 years after buying it from a friend. It operated flawlesly for 2 years and then the famous PROTECT problem showed its ugly face. I followed Bill Grassa's instructions to desensitise the protector circuit and the problem was solved. Then, a few days ago I had no output on 40m while all other bands were OK. I sent an email to Bill Grassa explaining the problem and within 24hours had a reply pointing me to C14 through C19 which could be suspect in the LPF unit. Sure enough C15 was dead short and after replacement the FL-7000 is back in business and ready for CQWW CW next weekend! Thanks again Bill for helping us keep these fine amplifiers running.

N2GOK Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Even better with N4ATS mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Fl-7000 for about 10 years now. It has given me many years of pleasure, quick band change and enough power for a casual dxer.

I decide to extend the life of this wonderful piece of equiptment and send it to Bill Grassa for his mod work.

THIS REALLY MADE THE DIFFERENCE.

First the anti trip seldom comes on and now I have a constant 600-700 watts on all bands.

Now I am not a contester, but I do enjoy my share of dx. N4ATS improvements to an already great linear have entended it's life in my opinion.

The FL-7000 is a great addition to any moderate amateur radion station, and then N4ATS dedicated modifications puts this small but powerful amp up with some of the more expenses newer models.

VK4RD Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2007 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned it for more than a decade. My FL-7000 is the three button model. I have had no problems with it in that time. It performs great.
I read up on Bill Grassa, N4ATS web page and found it very very informative in all aspects of FL-7000 operation. I run it through a 5 element tribander, and when using the WARC and lower bands use it through an SGC239 auto tuner, no problems. The protect system also works well. Coupled with my FT990 I feel I have a good radio station that has served me well in the past and will serve me well in to the future. It more than handles the VK power limit of 400 watts. A highly recommended amp in any radio shack around the world.

73's