Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom P3 AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom P3 AT
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1994 price 300.00
Description: 222-225 Mhz HT, with AI Computer. Manuf 1994, up to 5 watts output.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Icom P3 AT.

SWL377 Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2009 16:31 Send this review to a friend
I like it, good display  Time owned: months
I got really lucky. I bought a well used IC P3AT at the ham swap meet last weekend for $5. The seller said it was inop and a parts rig only. I managed to fix it. The battery is shot but I run it on 12 VDC. I'll end up paying 8x the HT price for getting new cells put in the battery pack BP 112.

My P3 gets very good audio reports when I talk on it. It has tons of features and the ergonomics are quite good. I was able to get it set up on the Condor 220 MHz CA repeater system with no manual. I have now found a user manual PDF online for free.

I'd LOVE to be able to buy a BP 110 AA cell battery holder for it, but they are no longer made and NOBODY wants to sell theirs.

At five bucks I can't complain about anything, but even if I paid $100 I'd be satisfied. It is reasonably compact, easy to use and has good transmit audio. The receiver seems sensitive, but that's subjective based on where I can hear repeaters and talking with other 220 users to compare their experiences. The display is big and easy to read.

I wish it was a dual bander with 2 meters. Other than that, no complaints.

AF6IM

N7MYW Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2002 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for a good price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Icom came out with this in the early 90's and it is a nice HT.I wish Icom hadn't discontinued it so soon.In 1-1/2 years it was gone and so were its accessories.Finding them now is a challenge.Even so,i enjoy mine.The battery fits inside the radio instead of under,similar to the Kenwood Th-79.A large screen makes for good viewing and the usual bells and whistles are present.If you can find one for 100.00 or less,it is worth every penny,especially since it is small.
Extra batteries can be found,but it takes some searching.220 gear is harder to find than the usual 2m and 440 ht's.The closest competitor to this is the Icom 3SAT,or Yaesu FT-33R.