Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Reviews: 113 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2,395.95
Description: Yeasu's latest

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field.

W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't go thru all the reviews again, but will say this radio is a top performer, very easy to use, great ergonomics, dual receivers, able to dig out weak ones on 160. What an awesome radio!
VK2IK Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 08:13 Send this review to a friend
A Great Rig - one of the best !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT 1000MP MkV Field is an excellent radio.

I selected this rig based on obtaining the best receiver I could find prior to heading to VK0 over winter between 2005 and 2007. I bought the rig new in mid July 2005, so its one of the last models as it ceased production soon after.

I also chose it based on the 12V internal PSU over the external 200W version, for ease of reliability, repairs or workarounds when away from spares and other resources.

It matched well to external station accessories, with easy interfacing including linear amplifiers and other equipment. I built a DVS1 equivalent out of a storage IC as well (theres no ham outlets in VK0 and the ship only brought mail twice a year :)), it worked well.

Whilst the Antarctic provides some excellent and unique RF conditions including a very very low noise floor, which the FT1K field really brings to life, The conditions on station were challenging due to the number of RF noise sources and experiments including high power MF radar and HF radiosondes and multi operator HF QRO station operations 24/7 during the summer.

I also had to ensure that the equipment would not cause any interference to adjacent operations. The FT1K field came through with flying colours and outperformed every other bit of gear on station, including the commercial grade HF receivers (R&S EK070's).

It also put out a very clean signal, which was required as the HF receiver antenna systems had multiple antennas, HF multi couplers and amplifier as well. I could TX on an adjacent antenna QRO and not cause any discernible rise to the receivers noise floor, In comparison with an FT897D, it lit up the whole HF spectrum 1.8-30Mhz on the same site, with further isolation and barefoot. most other HF amateur sets tested did the same, not the 1K!

The rig can cut through the noise and pull weak signals out, and I was able to use the rig on the various antenna arrays across different TX and RX antenna farms, including a 5 bay sloping triangle (terminated) array, allowing 'sector' isolation of the globe, Rhombics, Collins Conical Monopole. I had other rigs to do comparison tests in real conditions and this rig outperformed everything else. On station, in some cases, the other equipment compared would be S9+10 of noise, put on the FT1K, switch in the various receiver controls, all at your finger tips, and watch it disappear and start pulling signals in. I recall a QSO on 40m, where I worked a QRP station running 2W (+33dBm) into a low dipole (NVIS stuff), I could copy it clearly with no S reading registering on a crowded band, however I required 400W on the return path to work any VK stations on that band at that time.

The Antenna switching options are a great feature, as is the dual meters (thank to the earlier FT102 design); stepped attenuator and IPO. The notch filter is out of this world with the right QRM.

I also was able to test it out in some very interesting high latitude propagation conditions, which again , really tested the rigs performance and made the most out of the antenna farms, in some cases band openings in the winter where extremely short if at all, sometimes lasting less than 20 minutes as you switched the antenna arrays to follow the position of the sun beyond the horizon. You would listen to the band come up and then close away, with the noise floor being extremely low, there were often extremely very weak signals to be heard during the dark winter months. (the nearest "local" ham not on station was R1ANC, at Vostok)

Whilst the rig is somewhat dated,it is typically the display and logic control that differs from contemporary radios to make it that way, the menu system and logic control would be based on the FT1000MP with mid 1990's design, but it works fine.

yes, roofing filters and external preselectors, that are seen in the later rigs are not there, nor Direct Sampling of RF.

However I used this rig and had significant pile ups to work and it was not an issue, The rig has solid RF design principles right through the receiver chain, when the optional filters are used, the switchable "tuned" front end and the pres elector, followed by the tracking eDSP passband, it allows excellent manipulation of the receiver(s) and transmitter from the control surfaces with out the need to access the various menus.

The eDSP is quite effective, I do find that if you use all the DSP, receiver controls and filtering, it diminishes the signal of interest somewhat,but when you realise what you listening too in the noise, you soon discover that it has further enhanced the receiver.

Sometimes you may find the sharpness of the receiver a little much, for ragchews and the likes of local work on 80m, I occasionally find the FT817 or FT897D with the RF gain wound back more easier to listen to, very much like the FT7 used to sound. In comparison, the FT1K with the eDSP is very precise and cuts through the QRM and pile ups, but is more the Formala 1 car vs the family station wagon. say "Highly strung" vs "lumpy" :)

I have had the rig 11 years, some of those in storage,its been shipped halfway across the world a few times, and rough seas on the southern ocean , lived in sub zero temps, loaded on helicopters and so on. The rig has been looked after, it is in pristine conditions and is still going as good and as exciting as the day I got it,

The only negatives I would rate are these.

1. (minor) the internal supply could be cleaner RF and AC wise, (but thats easy fixed with an external supply, which is an easy option on the field vs the MKV 200W version)

2. (minor) The CW filters can sound "tinny" and the APF whilst providing excellent selectivity, may produce a ringing sound and the "edges" of the tones can sound "rounded", however you may have a copy, vs no copy.

Its a great rig, it has years of sound RF design behind it dating back to the FT-102 (which I had at the same time) and earlier FT 1K line up .

RE the roofing filter, yes can tell if you have station 40-60 over the 9 nearby (a few Khz), just switch in the additional filter or move your hand and adjust the receiver controls . Its not a big issue, I had huge pileups, huge signals, and it was not really a big problem, and its not a problem in VK here, either. in crowded bands its not a show stopper, if it is, maybe your taking it too seriously, it was that long ago we did well with basic equipment and simple RF design.

I wont say its the utopia perfect radio, no radio is , there will always be something that will bother someone, but hey enjoy for what it is, its a great rig, just get another transceiver and keep both if it bothers you :)

If you can get one, do yourself a favor and grab it, look after it, GET THE OPTIONAL FILTERS and sit back and enjoy it, it will serve you well.

There are newer rigs, but this ones got a hot receiver, excellent transmitter and audio, has all the features you need, in short its a keeper.
K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2016 21:01 Send this review to a friend
200 WATT RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
This receiver is FANTASTIC AND 200 WATTS OUT COULDNT BE BETTER! I can not say how GREAT this rig is no problems great receiver and wow on the transmit audio! IF YOU FIND A GOOD ONE OF THESE BUY IT AND HANG ON TO IT!
KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2016 09:11 Send this review to a friend
EVEN BETTER THAN EXPECTED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Seeing the reviews here, I purchased one that is mint condx from the original owner to use as a backup rig. All I have to say is after a few weeks I was using it instead of my FTdx3000D. I love having 2 independent receivers! SO2R rocks! I get great signal & audio reports with it!

SOLD the 3000 and bought a mint FTdx5000MP. Still learning it, but will review it in a few months.
W3ULS Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2014 17:39 Send this review to a friend
8-yr follow-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first review of the Mark V Field was in Dec. 2005. I've now owned it for 8 1/2 years, and am still enthusiastic about the rig. I used it extensively (listening only, antenna was inoperable on transmit) in this past weekend's CQ WPX SSB contest, when conditions were wild and signals were in the thousands. (I use a Buddipole so the received signals did not reach S9+40db, as they would have with a better antenna setup, thus putting more stress on the receiver's front end.)

There were hundreds of SSBers on 20 meters all weekend and the Field was able to slice and dice them any which way I wanted. (The excellent selectivity was due in no small measure to the INRAD 4 kHz roofing filter, installed by WA4GEG some time back.)

What sets this rig apart, in my book, is the ergonomics. You can get receiver performance that beats the Mark V's 15+-year-old design (at least on paper), but for a rig with real dual receivers, I think the front panel's layout is unbeatable. Some of the Field's controls were tweaked slightly from the older Mark Vs, making them even better. Particularly handy in heavy QRM were: the IDBT, the three filter buttons, and the separate and sizeable "Shift" and "Width" controls which, working together with the IDBT, really did great things to put stations in the clear.

I've got a bunch of other fine rigs here at the QTH I will have to part with, but the Field is definitely one for the duration.
W4POO Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
power house !!!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my ft-1000 mk v for 3 yr now with no trouble at all , 200 watts out will get the job done ! what more can I say but get one if you run a cross one, and they hold their price too and respect as well, I have traded alot of radio's off over the years but have not let this one go and have had a lot of good offers but not yet.. I run a pr-20 mike it seems to work the best for me I tryed my pr-40 & my pr-781 but the guy's say put the pr-20 back on well 73's W4POO more later.
W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great - What More Can I Say  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sorry, can't edit a post but I have to tell you, for the money spent, the features this awesome radio gives you, you won't be disappointed! Every time I turn it on, I love using it.
Dual Receivers (yes a dedicated sub rcvr)
Quiet Receiver
Rcv Antenna Port which works great for low band.
Easily used on SDR software
Separate shift/width which really make tweaking in a weak one awesome.
Never use the DSP, don't need it.
Dual NBs, and they work!
On and on I could go.

Spend 5K or more or get a proven performer is about all I can say. I have had (note "had'), the PRO3, K3, 775DSP,Orion 1, etc. About the only other radio I liked was the PRO2. TO me, the 1000 runs rings around them all. Cheers.
KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had been off the air for ten years I decided to search for a transceiver, I have been a ham since 1977 and owned just about everything up until I had to sell my equipment in 2002. I looked for a ProIII or ProII and could not find anything in my budget but found a Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters installed that I could afford. After getting it on the air and using it for an amount of time, I have found that it is still a remarkable radio! You can go out and spend thousands more on one of todays rigs and I can honestly say that the Mark V will hold it's own with any on the market. The receiver with all the filters is great in any mode and the transmit quality is great, I have received great audio reports with the radio. I can go on and on but all I will say is that if you are looking for one of the best radios on todays used market that will compete with the current radios this is the one to have. So if you can find one in excellent to mint condition pick it up and nail it to the desk!
KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After being off the air for ten years I started looking for a transceiver to get back on the air with, I considered the Icom Pros as well as some others and came across the Mark V Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters already installed in it. I have owned just about everything in my 35 years of being a ham up until when I went off the air in 2002 the last radio being a ProII. All I can say about this radio is that it is a top notch transceiver and will truly compete with most high end radios today costing three to four thousand dollars more, with less noise in the receiver. With all the filtering you can hear just about anything in any mode and the sound of the receiver is just great. I could go on and on but I won't, so if you can find one of these in excellent to mint condition that has been taken care of save yourself a lot of money and pick it up and nail it to the desk! You will not be sorry.
KW4Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many radios and listened to many others and I have yet to find one that I enjoy operating and listening to as much as this FT-1000MP Mk V Field. I've thought many times about upgrading but from setting down at newer models the only thing I would be upgrading is age and certainly not operation or at least not for the money. I have none of the optional filters either yet when you use DUAL receive and any fairly strength signal you have a FM Radio quality receiver and that's also using the built in speaker. While I'm sure there are newer radios that will exceed the specifications of this radio unless you can detect that difference with your ears then it's not really helping you. I'd love to have an FT-5000 or FT-9000 just to see how the top of the line radios operate but when you consider that that upgrade would cost between $4000 to $9000 to check it out unless you won the lottery or don't worry about money anymore it just isn't worth it. If you are seeking a used radio I highly recommend this radio but as with any used radio make sure you get to hear it yourself first.