Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Reviews: 109 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2,395.95
Description: Yeasu's latest
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=C1hIaaR4a9A%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field.

W3ULS Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2014 17:39 Send this review to a friend
8-yr follow-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first review of the Mark V Field was in Dec. 2005. I've now owned it for 8 1/2 years, and am still enthusiastic about the rig. I used it extensively (listening only, antenna was inoperable on transmit) in this past weekend's CQ WPX SSB contest, when conditions were wild and signals were in the thousands. (I use a Buddipole so the received signals did not reach S9+40db, as they would have with a better antenna setup, thus putting more stress on the receiver's front end.)

There were hundreds of SSBers on 20 meters all weekend and the Field was able to slice and dice them any which way I wanted. (The excellent selectivity was due in no small measure to the INRAD 4 kHz roofing filter, installed by WA4GEG some time back.)

What sets this rig apart, in my book, is the ergonomics. You can get receiver performance that beats the Mark V's 15+-year-old design (at least on paper), but for a rig with real dual receivers, I think the front panel's layout is unbeatable. Some of the Field's controls were tweaked slightly from the older Mark Vs, making them even better. Particularly handy in heavy QRM were: the IDBT, the three filter buttons, and the separate and sizeable "Shift" and "Width" controls which, working together with the IDBT, really did great things to put stations in the clear.

I've got a bunch of other fine rigs here at the QTH I will have to part with, but the Field is definitely one for the duration.

W4POO Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
power house !!!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my ft-1000 mk v for 3 yr now with no trouble at all , 200 watts out will get the job done ! what more can I say but get one if you run a cross one, and they hold their price too and respect as well, I have traded alot of radio's off over the years but have not let this one go and have had a lot of good offers but not yet.. I run a pr-20 mike it seems to work the best for me I tryed my pr-40 & my pr-781 but the guy's say put the pr-20 back on well 73's W4POO more later.

W9BKR Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great - What More Can I Say  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sorry, can't edit a post but I have to tell you, for the money spent, the features this awesome radio gives you, you won't be disappointed! Every time I turn it on, I love using it.
Dual Receivers (yes a dedicated sub rcvr)
Quiet Receiver
Rcv Antenna Port which works great for low band.
Easily used on SDR software
Separate shift/width which really make tweaking in a weak one awesome.
Never use the DSP, don't need it.
Dual NBs, and they work!
On and on I could go.

Spend 5K or more or get a proven performer is about all I can say. I have had (note "had'), the PRO3, K3, 775DSP,Orion 1, etc. About the only other radio I liked was the PRO2. TO me, the 1000 runs rings around them all. Cheers.

KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had been off the air for ten years I decided to search for a transceiver, I have been a ham since 1977 and owned just about everything up until I had to sell my equipment in 2002. I looked for a ProIII or ProII and could not find anything in my budget but found a Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters installed that I could afford. After getting it on the air and using it for an amount of time, I have found that it is still a remarkable radio! You can go out and spend thousands more on one of todays rigs and I can honestly say that the Mark V will hold it's own with any on the market. The receiver with all the filters is great in any mode and the transmit quality is great, I have received great audio reports with the radio. I can go on and on but all I will say is that if you are looking for one of the best radios on todays used market that will compete with the current radios this is the one to have. So if you can find one in excellent to mint condition pick it up and nail it to the desk!

KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After being off the air for ten years I started looking for a transceiver to get back on the air with, I considered the Icom Pros as well as some others and came across the Mark V Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters already installed in it. I have owned just about everything in my 35 years of being a ham up until when I went off the air in 2002 the last radio being a ProII. All I can say about this radio is that it is a top notch transceiver and will truly compete with most high end radios today costing three to four thousand dollars more, with less noise in the receiver. With all the filtering you can hear just about anything in any mode and the sound of the receiver is just great. I could go on and on but I won't, so if you can find one of these in excellent to mint condition that has been taken care of save yourself a lot of money and pick it up and nail it to the desk! You will not be sorry.

KW4Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many radios and listened to many others and I have yet to find one that I enjoy operating and listening to as much as this FT-1000MP Mk V Field. I've thought many times about upgrading but from setting down at newer models the only thing I would be upgrading is age and certainly not operation or at least not for the money. I have none of the optional filters either yet when you use DUAL receive and any fairly strength signal you have a FM Radio quality receiver and that's also using the built in speaker. While I'm sure there are newer radios that will exceed the specifications of this radio unless you can detect that difference with your ears then it's not really helping you. I'd love to have an FT-5000 or FT-9000 just to see how the top of the line radios operate but when you consider that that upgrade would cost between $4000 to $9000 to check it out unless you won the lottery or don't worry about money anymore it just isn't worth it. If you are seeking a used radio I highly recommend this radio but as with any used radio make sure you get to hear it yourself first.

W9SW Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2010 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Good all around transceiver for all modes  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the unit since 2004. Nice transceiver. Had a problem when finals went out and had to be replaced. Expensive and a long wait. Got unit back and it had the same problem. Called Yaesu and they paid for shipping and repairs. Ok this time but another extremely long wait. Called them and was told PA's were back ordered. Waited months to get them.
Don't like the idea of having to turn on the external power switch and then the transceiver. Why doesn't the switch on the transceiver turn the power supply on and off? Not brain surgery.

F1HKJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2010 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I add a Inrad roofing filter and replace the 2400Hz OEM filters by 2800Hz Inrad filters;i add 1800Hz Inrad filters too.
With these modifications,the Mark5 Field is a killer:quiet and selective in receive and in transmit everyone gives me good reports.
I think it is a very good performer for the money(i got it at 1300 Euros).
Frédéric

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 19:16 Send this review to a friend
My Contest Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2002 I purchased a FT 1000 MK V Field.
Since then, I have had several Transceivers.
Among them are the Icom 756 Pro 3, Kenwood Ts 2000,
Yaesu FT 2000 and the D, Flex 1000 and a K3.
I could go on and on about performance but I am not.
I have used the MK V in several contests. Worked a ton of stations
on PSK and CW. Simply put, you can’t find a better more flexible radio.
Add a couple filters and you’re in the money.
See Ya’ 72 I O U one
de ke4ex

DL3ZM Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2009 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for contester and DXer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bougth my rig two years ago. It is one of the last rig that was build. I had not technical problems at all. I 99,9% use the rig for CW DXing and contesting (last contest: WAG, 24hours 940 QSOs). I have placed in all optional CW filter (also for the sub receiver). In my opinion the frontpanel of the FT1000 is ideal for DXer and contester: e.G. split operation for DX pileups, or the second receiver for contests (calling on 80m hearing on 20m with the sup receiver). You have an own button for every function you need in front of the rig (excecpt for the sound level of the CW side tone!). On a crowded band during a CW contest i sometimes miss a roofing filter, so this will be the next modification that i will do to the rig.

I think there are better (newer) tranceicer on the market but for the money you can bay an used FT100 MP V you get a real contest-machine that is reliable and easy to operate.