Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Reviews: 116 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2,395.95
Description: Yeasu's latest
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=C1hIaaR4a9A%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field.

KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had been off the air for ten years I decided to search for a transceiver, I have been a ham since 1977 and owned just about everything up until I had to sell my equipment in 2002. I looked for a ProIII or ProII and could not find anything in my budget but found a Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters installed that I could afford. After getting it on the air and using it for an amount of time, I have found that it is still a remarkable radio! You can go out and spend thousands more on one of todays rigs and I can honestly say that the Mark V will hold it's own with any on the market. The receiver with all the filters is great in any mode and the transmit quality is great, I have received great audio reports with the radio. I can go on and on but all I will say is that if you are looking for one of the best radios on todays used market that will compete with the current radios this is the one to have. So if you can find one in excellent to mint condition pick it up and nail it to the desk!

KB8ZF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2012 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After being off the air for ten years I started looking for a transceiver to get back on the air with, I considered the Icom Pros as well as some others and came across the Mark V Field in mint condition with all the optional Yaesu filters already installed in it. I have owned just about everything in my 35 years of being a ham up until when I went off the air in 2002 the last radio being a ProII. All I can say about this radio is that it is a top notch transceiver and will truly compete with most high end radios today costing three to four thousand dollars more, with less noise in the receiver. With all the filtering you can hear just about anything in any mode and the sound of the receiver is just great. I could go on and on but I won't, so if you can find one of these in excellent to mint condition that has been taken care of save yourself a lot of money and pick it up and nail it to the desk! You will not be sorry.

KW4Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many radios and listened to many others and I have yet to find one that I enjoy operating and listening to as much as this FT-1000MP Mk V Field. I've thought many times about upgrading but from setting down at newer models the only thing I would be upgrading is age and certainly not operation or at least not for the money. I have none of the optional filters either yet when you use DUAL receive and any fairly strength signal you have a FM Radio quality receiver and that's also using the built in speaker. While I'm sure there are newer radios that will exceed the specifications of this radio unless you can detect that difference with your ears then it's not really helping you. I'd love to have an FT-5000 or FT-9000 just to see how the top of the line radios operate but when you consider that that upgrade would cost between $4000 to $9000 to check it out unless you won the lottery or don't worry about money anymore it just isn't worth it. If you are seeking a used radio I highly recommend this radio but as with any used radio make sure you get to hear it yourself first.

W9SW Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2010 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Good all around transceiver for all modes  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the unit since 2004. Nice transceiver. Had a problem when finals went out and had to be replaced. Expensive and a long wait. Got unit back and it had the same problem. Called Yaesu and they paid for shipping and repairs. Ok this time but another extremely long wait. Called them and was told PA's were back ordered. Waited months to get them.
Don't like the idea of having to turn on the external power switch and then the transceiver. Why doesn't the switch on the transceiver turn the power supply on and off? Not brain surgery.

F1HKJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2010 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I add a Inrad roofing filter and replace the 2400Hz OEM filters by 2800Hz Inrad filters;i add 1800Hz Inrad filters too.
With these modifications,the Mark5 Field is a killer:quiet and selective in receive and in transmit everyone gives me good reports.
I think it is a very good performer for the money(i got it at 1300 Euros).
Frédéric

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 19:16 Send this review to a friend
My Contest Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2002 I purchased a FT 1000 MK V Field.
Since then, I have had several Transceivers.
Among them are the Icom 756 Pro 3, Kenwood Ts 2000,
Yaesu FT 2000 and the D, Flex 1000 and a K3.
I could go on and on about performance but I am not.
I have used the MK V in several contests. Worked a ton of stations
on PSK and CW. Simply put, you can’t find a better more flexible radio.
Add a couple filters and you’re in the money.
See Ya’ 72 I O U one
de ke4ex

DL3ZM Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2009 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for contester and DXer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bougth my rig two years ago. It is one of the last rig that was build. I had not technical problems at all. I 99,9% use the rig for CW DXing and contesting (last contest: WAG, 24hours 940 QSOs). I have placed in all optional CW filter (also for the sub receiver). In my opinion the frontpanel of the FT1000 is ideal for DXer and contester: e.G. split operation for DX pileups, or the second receiver for contests (calling on 80m hearing on 20m with the sup receiver). You have an own button for every function you need in front of the rig (excecpt for the sound level of the CW side tone!). On a crowded band during a CW contest i sometimes miss a roofing filter, so this will be the next modification that i will do to the rig.

I think there are better (newer) tranceicer on the market but for the money you can bay an used FT100 MP V you get a real contest-machine that is reliable and easy to operate.

W3FW Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2009 11:12 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a field with a 5L... serial number to sit next to my serial number 4M..(200)watt Mark V. Both displays are extremely bright because they are both the latest serial numbers produced. I have to keep both of them on low brightness through the menu settings. They are both amazingly sensitive and best of all, all functions work. Both are identical except the field is 100 watts and the mark v is 200 watts.
The field can be used on a car battery(with the E-DC-20) or a 13 volt external power supply and has it`s own internal power supply, so you can also plug the field into a 120 volt wall outlet. I have used the $10,000 transceivers and all they have is some extra bells & whistles. Be sure to find a 2005 late model field and that is all you will ever need. Superlative reliability!!!!

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2009 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Mark 5 Field had the Serial Number 2H380011, I bought it new in September 2003 but sold it after some time.

The Display Quality was very bad, so much Brightness like the whole Display was completely on but still it was possible to have a correct reading. The turning Knobs were compact, not shaky, a feeling of solid Quality. On the left Bottom site there is an Area showing the IF Bandwith, it sounded hollow like cheap Plastic when touching that Area. That doesnt vitiate any Function but this Radio was the Flagship !

The Receiver appeared to me not deaf but insensitive on 14 MHz and higher Frequencies, compared to my Icom IC-765. My 765 was not only more sensitive but sounded on desired Signals a somewhat clearer to me although there is no DSP Noise Reduction in it.
When I was on 80m, the 2nd Receiver worked on 40m but went deaf when I tried to switch to some other Bands for Monitoring, not tragic but a Disadvantage.

The Noise Reduction (NR) System on the Mark 5 Field has a (bad) pumping Effect: The Noise in the Loudspeaker becomes reduced MUCH but the QRM still exists as a dead Carrier, which blocks Signals below the Carrier Level. The NR should have been additionally implemented in a different Stage to avoid that pumping Effect, that would have been fantastic! What I found VERY good about the NR was, it didnt distort the desired Signal like a lot of other DSP Transceivers, GREAT! Although that pumping Effect, the DSP was very useful in handling all the QRM for QSOs without Distress, nice.

The Preselector ('VRF') was an interesting Experience, switching it off there was a weaker blow-splattering Noise across the 40m Band but after switching the Preselector on, that Noise was gone. The 'VRF' is indispensable for Hams who live nearby a Shotwave BC Station with those few hundred Killiowatts or other Hams who use biGGer Antennas, a fine thing this is one of the few Transeivers that have a build in Preselector.

On my Modulation I got often Compliments. Its noteworthy this Transceiver can produce a Bandwith of 6Khz in SSB and some of my friends said I sound very good as if it was FM. My IC-765 had a much stronger ('punched') and overall better Modulation, everybody said. The RF Power was over 110 Watts without any Modification. 2 hours constant Transmitting at 110 Watts was no Problem but the Fan could have been quiet like that from the Acom 1000 HF Amp. Another nice thing is the Mark5 Field produced very low BCI and TVI even outside of the A-Class Mode with the 110+ Watts, thats a Sign of a well made Transmitter. What I didnt think of mentioning in my earlier Review was another Flaw: There was almost no Modulation when I was on 10m in FM trying to speak to local Hams. I wonder why, there wasnt any Modification etc. done before.

I am m not rating it 5 because of the pumping Effect with the NR (Display is no Problem to fix). Would like to try the earlier MP Version next.

73 to all Friends

VK5SW Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT1000MP Field for about 4 years now and am very pleased with it... I run it from a large 12 volt battery at my radio QTH and use it mainly on CW... I find it excellent on that mode and I really like the fact that you can choose the narrow filters using separate buttons rather than having to scroll through them...
The cross modulation characteristics are very good, it's particularly evident on 40Mx CW and the received audio on both SSB and CW is also very good... It's easy to operate, the buttons and knobs are well laid out and the large tuning knob is pleasant to use...
It's a very good radio...
You can see my station at www.VK5SW.com