Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field Reviews: 109 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2,395.95
Description: Yeasu's latest
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=C1hIaaR4a9A%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field.

W3FW Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2009 11:12 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a field with a 5L... serial number to sit next to my serial number 4M..(200)watt Mark V. Both displays are extremely bright because they are both the latest serial numbers produced. I have to keep both of them on low brightness through the menu settings. They are both amazingly sensitive and best of all, all functions work. Both are identical except the field is 100 watts and the mark v is 200 watts.
The field can be used on a car battery(with the E-DC-20) or a 13 volt external power supply and has it`s own internal power supply, so you can also plug the field into a 120 volt wall outlet. I have used the $10,000 transceivers and all they have is some extra bells & whistles. Be sure to find a 2005 late model field and that is all you will ever need. Superlative reliability!!!!

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2009 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Mark 5 Field had the Serial Number 2H380011, I bought it new in September 2003 but sold it after some time.

The Display Quality was very bad, so much Brightness like the whole Display was completely on but still it was possible to have a correct reading. The turning Knobs were compact, not shaky, a feeling of solid Quality. On the left Bottom site there is an Area showing the IF Bandwith, it sounded hollow like cheap Plastic when touching that Area. That doesnt vitiate any Function but this Radio was the Flagship !

The Receiver appeared to me not deaf but insensitive on 14 MHz and higher Frequencies, compared to my Icom IC-765. My 765 was not only more sensitive but sounded on desired Signals a somewhat clearer to me although there is no DSP Noise Reduction in it.
When I was on 80m, the 2nd Receiver worked on 40m but went deaf when I tried to switch to some other Bands for Monitoring, not tragic but a Disadvantage.

The Noise Reduction (NR) System on the Mark 5 Field has a (bad) pumping Effect: The Noise in the Loudspeaker becomes reduced MUCH but the QRM still exists as a dead Carrier, which blocks Signals below the Carrier Level. The NR should have been additionally implemented in a different Stage to avoid that pumping Effect, that would have been fantastic! What I found VERY good about the NR was, it didnt distort the desired Signal like a lot of other DSP Transceivers, GREAT! Although that pumping Effect, the DSP was very useful in handling all the QRM for QSOs without Distress, nice.

The Preselector ('VRF') was an interesting Experience, switching it off there was a weaker blow-splattering Noise across the 40m Band but after switching the Preselector on, that Noise was gone. The 'VRF' is indispensable for Hams who live nearby a Shotwave BC Station with those few hundred Killiowatts or other Hams who use biGGer Antennas, a fine thing this is one of the few Transeivers that have a build in Preselector.

On my Modulation I got often Compliments. Its noteworthy this Transceiver can produce a Bandwith of 6Khz in SSB and some of my friends said I sound very good as if it was FM. My IC-765 had a much stronger ('punched') and overall better Modulation, everybody said. The RF Power was over 110 Watts without any Modification. 2 hours constant Transmitting at 110 Watts was no Problem but the Fan could have been quiet like that from the Acom 1000 HF Amp. Another nice thing is the Mark5 Field produced very low BCI and TVI even outside of the A-Class Mode with the 110+ Watts, thats a Sign of a well made Transmitter. What I didnt think of mentioning in my earlier Review was another Flaw: There was almost no Modulation when I was on 10m in FM trying to speak to local Hams. I wonder why, there wasnt any Modification etc. done before.

I am m not rating it 5 because of the pumping Effect with the NR (Display is no Problem to fix). Would like to try the earlier MP Version next.

73 to all Friends

VK5SW Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT1000MP Field for about 4 years now and am very pleased with it... I run it from a large 12 volt battery at my radio QTH and use it mainly on CW... I find it excellent on that mode and I really like the fact that you can choose the narrow filters using separate buttons rather than having to scroll through them...
The cross modulation characteristics are very good, it's particularly evident on 40Mx CW and the received audio on both SSB and CW is also very good... It's easy to operate, the buttons and knobs are well laid out and the large tuning knob is pleasant to use...
It's a very good radio...
You can see my station at www.VK5SW.com

VE3NJG Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FT1000 mp MK V field since new for several years. My first one arrived D.O.A. but that can apply to all makes of rigs. This is ham radio not NASA. The dealer just swapped it out. No sweat.
In my rig stable over the years I have owned many many rigs made by them all. This one rig gets a terrific amount of use, and has out performed better than any other I have owned or used in both contesting,big time net controlling and rag chew.I like it a bit better than my 1000D.
It is not for the old boys that leave them idle and wonder why their rig quits. Sure static can build up if you leave it plugged in to an antenna and never use it. Lazy ops equals product failures. This is a keeper for any really radio active ham. Beside it sitting in this shack there is a TS940s, and a Pro 3 newly aquired and some other good hf rigs. I am not an FMer and use only hf gear for SSB and CW.. Hands down the field is the best buy for the buck. No issues ever to date, excellent receiver, and TX audio. It's features are built for any smart active ham to love . It is not for the casual operator looking just for status. Once learned the options prove yet again why Yaesu have led the pack. All the menus once set are left alone as it is all operated with knobs and buttons on the front. The best digital stuff with knobs and switches. I love it.
The pro 3 is like most rigs today. Just very very good. Yaesu still rules as the best. Even the cheap FT 450 I tried out was amazing for the money. The FMers that want HF as a " by the way included thing " can go buy a 706 or something else they can handle. The field is still very much a big gun rig for the bucks. The current used price makes it a must to own if you want to be a competative high achiever operator. Otherwise any thing else will serve your needs as yet just another " bean for the pot operator ".

G8IOK Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The performance of this transceiver is superb. Although there are menu options all the operator controls are real buttons and knobs.

Once the filtering system is mastered the results are excellent. The only filtering system I have outside of the FT1000 is an MFJ noise canceling device (Jones circuit) which I use when working 160m.

The digital interfaces are particulary good. I use PSK31 and RTTY (real FSK!). The cabling for this plus CAT are all into the rear leaving the front free of cabling except for the key, phones and the microphone. This brings me to my first gripe; it is a shame that the FSK wiring was not doubled up for keying from the computer when in CW mode.

My other gripe is that, in common with virtually all modern machines, the AM modulation could be better. The older transceivers such as the FT-902 do a far better job in this mode.

In all these are great machines. Currently in the UK the FT1000MP mkV Field is available at around 50% the cost of an FT2000. With performance rivaling the FT2000 these machines are good value for money.

IW1DFU Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 10:04 Send this review to a friend
simply a deam  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My previus rig was an FT1000MP and sometimes ago I've decided to try to switch to a MARK V field tou upgrade the shack. First impact was good but something was not excellent:
1- I've lost the possiblity to switch filetrs in an easy way and up to my choice.

2- The display light is lower than in MP...

After some month I'm sure that there is an improvment of the performances on MKV and it's also a very good rig. Solid, easy to use and set-up, good selectivity and quite reciver.

I think it will stay with me for long time.

P.S. If you're thinking to buy one, you'll never reget it, but take in mind that as all rig it has also some "small black points" like the internal tuner that, as in the previus version, is not comparable with icom and kenwood... it's slower and not so efficent. But there are a lot of points that sure wil made you forget this one (VRF, IDBT, 2nd reciver...etc).

73 de Fabio. IW1DFU.

W6AAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2007 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after selling my first Mark V Field when I bought the FT-2000, I missed the radio so much because it is a great radio. But to keep the XYL happy I had to cover the cost of the FT-2000 and sell the Mark V Field. I felt like I departed from a loved one and told myself and my wife, if another Mark V field comes along my way and it is a good price and good shape I will get another one and keep it. Well, that day has come and I found another one and I am sooo happy I have it back on my shelf. The FT-2000 is an outstanding radio and has its plus's above the Mark V Field, but the Mark V Field is one of the best radios out there. If you can find one, get it! You will not regret it..

Will
W6AAV

KG6AMW Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2007 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Iíve owned the Yaesu Mark V Field for about a year now and its really fine radio. What sets it apart from the competition is ease of use and the ability to use features with out doing too much thinking. From a purchasing stand point I looked at the Yaesu FT 2000 and the Orion. The FT 2000 was new in the market and I didnít want to take a chance on a new product. A used Orion was just priced to high. Yes it has excellent selectivity, but its ergonomics are poor when compared to Yaesu. My other radio is the Yaesu 920 and compared to it the Yaesu Mark V Field much better performer -- better selectivity and a more aggressive dual mode noise blanker and processor. The 3rd IF stage utilizes the 10 pole Collins mechanical filter. The Yaesu Mark V Field holds up well in busy environments such as contests and dx pile ups. Features include the up/down button and the shuttle jog for moving quickly up and down the band. Setting a split function is quick and easy. It includes an internal power supply and the ability to use an external power supply. All in all this radio has lots of features that make contesting and dxing a real pleasure. The radio has a solid feel, nothing plastic or cheap looking. The knobs are large and solid and the display is really easy on the eyes late at night.

N3EHY Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2007 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Inrad roofing filter along with a complete suite of Inrad IF filters. I tune and a signal comes leaping out of the speaker. Nothing before and nothing after each signal is a unique and individual even in crowded contests. Simply amazing. Beats my 1000D by far!

M3OCH Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2007 06:28 Send this review to a friend
the very best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
ill keep this short ................this is the best radio ive ever owned absoloutley superb .........if you can find one buy it!!