Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012 Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: A RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all of your 12 volt equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Anderson PowerPole connectors. Standardize all of your 12 VDC connections using the amateur radio ARES & RACES PowerPole system.

120 VAC appliances have the same plugs and sockets. Why shouldn't 12 VDC connectors be standard?
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012.

WT3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2012 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a West Mountain Radio RigRunner 4010S back in 2005 or so. Actually, I purchased the 4008, but the store was out of them so they sold me a 4010S for the same price. Over the years my 12V devices grew, so I added a 4012 to make sure I had more room to grow.

The 4012 is great to add necessary 12V outlets. I have my 4012 and my 4010 mounted under my ham desk (I wanted to keep the desk clutter free). From my experience, the PowerPole connectors are fine to mount upside down. I haven't had one fall apart or come out yet!

If you are debating between the 4010 and the 4012 think about long term. I never use the switch on the 4010S because I turn the power supply off when I'm done in the shack. I'd rather have the two extra outlets on the 4012 than the master switch on the 4010S.

WA7NDD Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Should have done it long ago!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The West Mountain 4012 replaced 4 wall warts and three AC plugs. Cleaned up the desk and made a nice installation. I feed it with two AGM 150 amp batteries connected to a battery back up module connected to my Astron power supply, and the 4012 as the load. Will add solar this summer. I installed a Watts-UP meter at the input of the 4012 and by turning off the Astron I can see the battery condition. Running a TS 590S for HF, 2 meters, and other stuff on the 4012. I have seven connections on the 4012, LED's on it tell the story of over or under voltage. Happy with the purchase.
Jim, WA7NDD

WD6S Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2009 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Good choice for solar power distribution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a solar power system for the shack and chose the 4012 cause it has two separate 40W buses, and each connection point is individually fused. So far it has stood up well. My small problems are that the blade-type fuses are sometimes difficult to seat properly, and the Power pole connectors do not always engage electrically or mechanically, though I suspect this more a power pole issue or my inexperience in attaching the connectors. Even with 6 radios there are plenty more connectors available.

It makes my day to come into the shack and see the green LED glowing to indicate Normal voltage. It is a good product for this application and appears to be well built. I do note that the price has gone up about $25 since the initial entry for this product- it is now about $125.

K5NT Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Shack Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just converted my home station over to battery power using the 4012 to connect everything. A DEKA 97 amp hour gel is connected to the 4012, as are a 5 amp Smart Charger from A-A Engineering, a Ten-Tec OMNI Vi+, and a Yaesu FT-8800. The charger provides the first 5 amps of current, then the battery kicks in. The Anderson Powerpoles were easy to connect using the crimper sold by West Mountain, and all connections are tight and secure. West Mountain provides instructions for converting the over-voltage alarm in the 4012 into an under-voltage alarm where a battery is the power source, and I will make this change.

PA3CEV Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 15:52 Send this review to a friend
You need this too  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using the rigrunner was an eyeopener for me. No more problems connecting and disconnecting, fast and reliable. Do not understand complaints about PP not locking at all. In my shack there is no mechanical stress on the wiring. if there is, even a locking connector system will fail in the end.

Bottom line: works fb, looks nice, reliable and you need one too....

WU1T Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2006 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Tame the DC cable.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I upgraded from a 4005 to a 4012 recently. I am very happy with it. Up until the time I bought my Rigrunners, I was dealing with solder or crimp on spades and directly connecting my DC cables to the lugs on my supplies. Going from that to the Rigrunner is like the caveman discovering fire. Huge improvement in the way things are done. This product, and Anderson Powerpoles, actually makes dealing with your power supply and DC cables easy and... FUN. Maybe I just need to get out of the house more.

W9AC Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2005 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Needs slight re-design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the 4012 for the past two years and overall, I've been satisfied with it for low-current devices. However, despite the fact that Anderson claims their connectors are rated for 20+ DC amps, the reality is that there can be substantial voltage drop across their connectors when running high-current equipment like a 20-amp, 100 watt HF transceiver. Moreover, the Anderson Powerpole connectors do not lock and are prone to accidental disconnects. For maximum reliability, the RIGrunner should be positioned such that zero tension occurs on the power cables.

K3MEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2005 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Product! This has allowed me to really clean up the wiring in the shack. Just one warning.. Buy a model with more connections than you expect to use. Believe me, you end up hooking up everything to this. Rigs, acccessories, replacing 12v wall warts, I even hooked up a cigarette lighter jack just in case I need to plug in a cell phone charger or something. My only complaint isnt about this product, its just that I'd like the powerpoles to be locking. Overall, its a great product, and well made.

K7AAF Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2003 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Just do it !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fabulous idea! I've stabbed myself with stiff wire trying to wrap it around MFJ binding posts for the very last time. Yes, it took a few minutes to redo each connector (get the crimping pliers, for goodness sake!) but once it's finally done, what an easy thing it is to switch, disconnect, reconnect (reverse polarity is impossible) and finally, standardize with everything that's 12V powered in the ham shack. Going to get a small one for the mobile next.

WB0UGO Rating: 1/5 Dec 7, 2003 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Idea, But Power Pole connectors need work.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a really good idea, and the box itself is well constructed. The problem is the Power Pole connectors which will not remain seated and pull out. I knew I was in trouble when the supplied master power cable would not stay in. I have the cables tie wraped and this helped. Next time I will get another MFJ distribution box with with banana terminals and either direct wire the cables or use banana plugs which are harder to
unseat. Good Company, but product needs a lot of improvement.