Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Drake TR-6 Help

Reviews Summary for Drake TR-6
Drake TR-6 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 50 Mhz transciever from the 1970s

You can write your own review of the Drake TR-6.

WD8OST Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2006 08:06 Send this review to a friend
real nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
ser #151 all tubes- this a nice radio 6m 100 watts plus.( cir.abt. (1968-1972) drake made abt. 601 of them. really like mine just not many f/s reason for a 4 is because of age about 39 yrs. old. works 100% looks the same.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2002 17:32 Send this review to a friend
still the best?  Time owned: more than 12 months
History:
I have been a ham since the early 1960s. My first phone QSO was on 6 Meters. The (now) SK was the best possible Elmer, he helped me a lot. M Radios:
After 'stepping up' from AM to SSB, I have had about every radio ever made for 6M. Good ones were:
a Hallicrafter HA-6 transverter (with which I made my first MS QSO, (from the QTH from hell).....A new Swan 250C with matching 2 M transverter (not too bad)
an Icom 575H that was pretty good. However, you would not believe the pure FUN I had with a Lafayette HA-460 from various mountain tops back in New England. I could work 100 station at a stretch and rag chew with each. Was it a perfect rig? Heck no, but in 1970, it worked (AM) and I had a lot of fun....The SB-110As and TR-6s were 'dream' material.
Clunkers include a Heath SB-110A (I built many Heathkits, but the el-cheapo dial mechanisms and overall feel make me cringe to this day.
Present:
I am in the process of moving to EM80 (Florida) fom the 'power-line' state, er, Kentucky, EM77.
In the process of being taken down, is a 75' tower with a M2 JHV long yagi for 6M. I was lucky enough to be in Japan several times and bought both an Icom 706g and a 756PRO. Both of these were bought because they cover HF + 6M. The 706g convinced me to sell the 575H, but I wish I had it back. The main radio was the PRO. The reciever was first rate (with preamp 2), and the bandscope was worth the purchase price + some. However, alongside the Icoms was 'ole faithful, the TR-6. This radio still amazes me!. It will hear anything else I have and this includes some excellent military receivers with state of the art converters. The AGC and s-meter are the best. Yeah, the blue analog dial is comforting to these old eyes, and the noise blanker makes me want to throw rocks at the PRO. My once dead quiet location is in a developing area and the QRM is just plain awful.
I was fortunate enough to score the TR-6 inexpensivily off the Drake web sie from a W6 who had taken it as a partial trade and he had no interest in 6M. I wanted to get an RV-6 remote VFO, but suffered a bad case of sticker shock. There were very few made and the $ reflects that! Luckily, any of Drakes remote VFOs work, except the dial is backward (20 Mhz IF)......
That having been said, the TR-6 will stay in my care forever, just like my 75A-4....

Ron