Reviews Categories | Filters, AC Line | APC Smart-UPS 700 Help

Reviews Summary for APC Smart-UPS 700
APC Smart-UPS 700 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Standby power supply and AC line filter.
More info: http://www.apcc.com

You can write your own review of the APC Smart-UPS 700.

KF6IIU Rating: 1/5 Mar 26, 2005 08:54 Send this review to a friend
RFI _ not suitable for ham use  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a data center quality full-featured UPS that is excellent in most respects but it kicks out a tremendous amount of white-noise RFI, especially on the 20m band. Radiation is from all power cables in and out of the device, from devices plugged into the unit, and it causes reradiation into your hosue wiring. I have to shut mine down for and "serious" operating on 20. If you can pick one of these up surplus for cheap, that's good, but be prepared to do some serious RFI-proofing.

W7DAH Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 12:09 Send this review to a friend
I second that ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I second the positive comments of George - KB9YUR. But I didn't pay $350 for the thing! I've had it long enough to have forgotten what I paid, but at the time I got it, APC was offering a competitive products trade-in deal. I traded a Tripp-Lite OmniSmart-UPS whose prematurely dead battery was not user-replaceable apparently. I chose the APC Smart-UPS 700 for it's pure sine waveform too. Mine's been bulletproof, just silently backing up the power to my gear with clean, filtered juice, at competitive cost. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Don - W7DAH

KB9YUR Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 07:32 Send this review to a friend
AC line filter & Backup Power  Time owned: more than 12 months
Originally I had bought this unit to provide backup power and line filtering for my
Icom 706MKIIG when I had that radio. Now I'm using it for my Icom 746. This unit like
most of the APC units in this price class not only provide AC line filtering, but also
backup up power should there be a brown out or even a total blackout. The hot
swapable battery can be replaced by the user without sending the unit back.
It also has over and under voltage regulation. The one feature I really liked is that the
output waveform of the 700 VA unit (and all those of the Smart-UPS series above 700VA)
is pure sinewave. Some UPS's (including some APC units of lesser VA/wattage) provide
modified sinewave output. This modified sinewave waveform can cause problems with
some power supplies. The line filtering certaining takes care of the AC line noise
bursts. Highly recommended !