Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikit CMOS-4 Complete Keyer Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Logikit CMOS-4 Complete Keyer Kit
Logikit CMOS-4 Complete Keyer Kit Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $89.95 plus shipping
Description: Shares virtually all the features of the K3 keyer, except that it offers four active memories at one time, and a total of twelve messages available when banking is used. Also, the CMOS4 is significantly smaller. A "Heathkit" style kit, with all parts and full documentation.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/keyers.html

You can write your own review of the Logikit CMOS-4 Complete Keyer Kit.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2012 05:42 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this up at a hamfest, so did not build the kit. Keyer works well with my Kenwood hybrids. The keying is smooth and the manual clearly takes you through the steps of storing messages. It is almost as good as having my butler send cw for me! The unit is compact so would be fine for portable operation. This is important since one can store a lot of information in the message banks and you can take the programming with you on the road.

It keys older hybrid (not cathode keyed) rigs and modern solid state units, but one needs to change an internal jumper to switch. My
my one wish would be to have an integrated universal keyer interface.

It also supports programming of exotic (for me, much of the hobby remains exotic) functions such as setting up a beacon.

W1JA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Bestest keyer ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I already have the original CMOS keyer that I built in the 1990 from a QST article, and also a Logikey K3 that I bought in 2001 for another rig, so I'm familiar with the superb way these keyers are controlled (via morse commands sent from the paddle) and the superb way these keyers operate.

This keyer is the best yet. It fits in small spaces, it runs for a year or more on a set of batteries, it has a built-in sidetone with adjustable volume and pitch, it somehow magically makes me send with fewer errors... I love this keyer.

I bought the kit, so I got to enjoy an evening of Heathkit-style fun putting it together. I have posted some pictures of the construction process at http://www.w1ja.com/gallery

W3CUV Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2010 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Worth the dough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me say right off that the CMOS-4 is much better than the internal keyer in my Kenwood TS-570. Fewer sending errors, that's the main reason I bought this keyer. It produces smooth and accurate keying.

This kit wasn't the easiest thing I've built lately, but I successfully finished it in two sessions. I suggest stoping when the PCB's are completed and resuming on the 2nd day to connect the peripherals.

The instructions go into extreme detail for most of the steps, but failed to say which way the battery box should point. And there isn't any spare room to fit it in next to the key jack. Once you stick it to the adhesive on the back of the speaker, it's there forever. So there should be a warning here, you don't get a second chance.

The tutorial is good. In a conversational style, it walks you through how to use your new keyer and soon you become familiar with most of it's many bells and whistles. But one thing I noticed at this point, I can't tell any difference with "Autospace" turned on or off ???

Overall though, I'm quite satisfied with the CMOS-4, and still think it's the best one out there, but give it only four stars because of it's tricky assembly.

VK7JB Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Perfect score!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a novice kit builder, but this kit almost fell together, with only a little coaching from me. No missing parts, great quality board and unambiguous, detailed instructions made for a fun and rewarding kit building experience over 3 winter nights. I'm now proud to own a keyer that offers more features than I'll ever need, that looks great in my shack and that worked perfectly from the time I connected the battery.
Thanks Idiom Press!
John
VK7JB

TOPPER Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Glad I bought it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Went together well, way more features than I needed, & some I love, like auto-spacing. Excellent tuetorial. Running on same internal batteries for years. Wish it had a 'practice' mode.

Note: After some years unit developed a fault; cpu chip was replaced by Rob for free. Idiom Press has a friend for life! tnx, N7AG

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2009 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer, kit a challenge  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Caution: I am not a good CW op; bought this keyer to get my speed up and my words to sound like words instead of word puzzles.

Point One: this is a great keyer; it includes a mini-course in Keyer 101; easy to learn, easy to "program" and a joy for the not-so-talented wannabe cw op (like me). Bottom line: it encourages you to want to work cw.

Point Two: this is not an easy "one or two evening" kit, unless you work about four hours two evenings; it is challenging -- not impossible for the first timer, but he/she better be a talented one; I have spent 40+ years in electronics -- and there lies my problem -- old eyes and shaky hands will be challenged.

Buy the kit. It was good for me to sweat out all those little components and look through the magnifying glass after every solder joint. The joy of hearing it say --- -.- is worth it.

KD7MTI Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two hf rigs that I use daily. One has built in keyer the other doesn't. I have an old lil'bugger keyer -- it's an "A" mode keyer, the built in keyer in my rig is a "B" mode keyer.

I found out that I cannot easily switch between these modes.

I needed a keyer that was compatible with the built in keyer in my rig (so if I just carried a paddle and the radio, I would be able to operate) and I wanted a memory keyer because I am lazy and like to multitask.

I ordered the kit -- I am currently overseas -- it arrived quickly less than a week.

Shipping package is high quality!

I assembled the unit in several hours and it worked first time.

I am very pleased with my decision to buy this product. It was fun and easy to build. It is suitable for a first kit.

Features I like:
1) memory
2) the cw interface is great
3) tutorial in user's manual
4) beacon mode (means I can configure it to send "cq cq cq de kd7mti kd7mti kd7mti ar k" every 40 seconds.
5) speaker -- now I can teach my daughter and son morse code.

What's missing:
Wiring harness info. The wiring lengths specified in the build instructions are conservative (i.e., the lengths are quite a bit
longer than they need to be). It would be great if instructions were included that gave dimensions for a real wiring harness.

Overall:
Shipping experience: excellent
Quality of kit: excellent
Build Experience: none required
Quality of enclosure: excellent.
Quality of product: excellent.

Recommendation: Buy it!

VE7HJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2009 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Top Marks !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a used ICOM 735 without the built in keyer. So I started looking around at after market keyer boards to plug into the radio. After doing some research and asking a couple of hams who are true CW buffs, I decided to buy an external keyer. I emailed Bob at Idiom Press and asked for the details about the different models. Not being a contester I decided 4 memories was plenty for me and chose the CMOS K4 kit. I sent in my money and it arrived around 3 days later in the mail. I was very impressed with the packaging and contents. I rushed home to get started. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Around 6 hours later the unit was together. After correcting to wires that I installed wrong I powered it up with 3 AAA batteries and heard the “OK” in CW sing through the speaker. It has so many great options and features. The character spacing and weighting really helps my code sound better.
I am very impressed that the keyer can be powered from 3 AAA bats for months at a time. I know a few hams who own some expensive rigs and they only use the internal keyer when they absolutely have too. So for $89.95 you can not by a better keyer as a kit.
Of course they also sell assembled versions for a few dollars more. If you’re just getting started in Morse code build and use it for a practice keyer with its built in speaker. Then once ready plug it into your radio and have fun.

G4HZV Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built one of these quite a while ago now. Easy to build and works very well, just like the whole range of Logikey keyers.

One of the buttons failed, so email to Bob and two replacement buttons arrived in a few days - that's after sales service!

N3DF Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Item  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the CMOS-4 preassembled. It is compact, solidly-constructed and attractive. It is very versatile and the provided instructions are clear. I have had no problems with it and cannot think of any additional features that I would like a keyer to have. Highly recommended.