Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | AN Wireless Help

Reviews Summary for AN Wireless
AN Wireless Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $665 to $3475
Description: This is a totally new tower system, designed for a multitude of commercial, and Amateur Radio needs where a lightweight, and pre-engineered tower is the requirement for installation. This self supporting tower fits the needs of UHF repeater users and cellular carriers with large antenna loads, to Ham Radio operators who need a tower that can stand up to the torque of big yagi rotors. Towers are available to withstand severe wind and ice conditions, in 70 MPH to 120 MPH exposures.
More info: http://www.anwireless.com

You can write your own review of the AN Wireless.

K9US Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 14:43 Send this review to a friend
great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my tower when Dan first started his tower company. My HD80 foot tower has been up for many years with only one complaint. My tower had the early version step bolts which over several years started to rust. Dan sold AN towers to Precision. I met the new owners at Dayton and told them about the rusting steps bolts. They just sent me a complete new set of step bolts and hardware.
Now that is customer support!
Tim K9US

AC8DE Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 04:54 Send this review to a friend
VERY Strong Self Supporting Tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are looking for a self-supporting, unguyed tower that you can assemble yourself, is reasonably priced, can support large antennas and take high wind and ice loads, then look no further. But do understand that this is a serious construction project to undertake that will not be done in a couple of days. I chose the HHD-80 for its ability to hold 75 sq ft of wind load 5’ off the top of the tower in 90 MPH winds with ice.

If you have a stringent zoning process to go through for a tower as I do where I live, the drawings provided by AN Wireless go a long way to get you through this tricky zoning process. Having all this on hand with proposed plot map and photographs made this process easy and I was approved at the end of the zoning hearing. (Even though I had one neighbor who was against the tower.)

I purchased a HHD-80 unassembled and brought it to the house. You’ll have to make arrangements with someone that has a commercial dock and fork lift for delivery. Then you’ll need to take it off the two skids it comes on and load it piece by piece into a vehicle to take it home.

The galvanizing of the tower is superb. It was hot dip galvanized AFTER the holes were punched, so the galvanization is top notch.

The foundation of a large self-supporting tower is an undertaking requiring backhoe work and large amounts of dirt removal. I ended up with 18 yards of concrete and it took ¾ ton of custom prebent rebar to the AN Wireless drawing’s specs that I welded into place around the base section. I decided on the “pad and pillar” option for the foundation, so I only have a 6’ square of concrete exposed at the surface, while the buried base part is 11’ square. The pad and pillar approach takes the rental of forms for the pillar and a two part pour on two different days, which has additional cost, but reduces the amount of concrete, so it evens out cost-wise. So when considering the cost of the tower, don’t forget to figure in the proper amount of concrete AND pre-bent rebar. And of course, the foundation must cure for 30 days before you can consider placing the tower on it.

The trickiest part of building an AN Wireless tower is laying out blocks on the ground to serve as an assembly base that are ABSOLUTELY LEVEL. Take great time in getting this step correct. You must build it straight, else you’ll end up with a banana shaped tower the day the crane comes to lift it.

I had a few problems with my top section having the holes incorrectly punched, so they sent me a new top section and then sent two guys from the factory to help get the holes properly aligned in for the bearing and rotator plates. I also had some issues with bolts, which had to be traded out. I do suggest that you insist on domestic bolts when you purchase your tower, which did turn out to be superior. Hopefully, domestic bolts have now become standard. You’ll need a quality torque wrench to finish getting the bolts torqued. They do provide excellent customer service throughout the building process!

I’ve heard others say that it takes multiple guys to build the tower. This isn’t true. One can build it by themselves with just one other person to help lift the third leg of each section into place when sitting it atop the cross braces. My wife helped me do this when the time came for each section and she then went back into the house when I got two bolts in place. I took my time and was able to build the tower over a week’s time in the evenings and it took me perhaps 60 minutes per 10’ section. The instructions were OK, but needed a bit more detail. Again, just a call or two to AN Wireless to answer some questions and it went very smoothly.

Before I erected the tower, I had to call the building inspector to have him sign off on the bolt torques. Be careful here, because if your building inspection process requires this inspection step and you don’t do it before lifting the tower into place, you’ll have to pay for a PE to come in climb (or use a cherry picker) and check the torques and sign off, which will cost quite a bit. Erection of the tower was super easy with a single pick with a crane. This took less than an hour from the time the crane arrived until it left.

Fitting even the largest rotators in the tower is VERY easy. The bearing and rotator plates are ¼” thick STAINLESS STEEL. I had my rotator plate’s holes cut by a local water jet shop for $70 and the bearing plates are predrilled by AN Wireless as I gave them my bearing hole pattern before they shipped the plates, for no additional cost. I’m sure they will cut your rotator plate as well if you have your rotator mounting dimensions before you order, which I did not. DO NOT try to drill your own holes in the stainless plates unless you have the proper tooling, which nearly no one does.

I’ve had the tower for more than a year now and it is a seriously strong structure. Climbing is a breeze, going right up the cross braces. I did buy the climbing bolts, but I recommend against these. They are more dangerous to climb than going up the cross braces and I do not use mine. The tower doesn’t sway in the slightest when you are at the very top.

You’ll be happy with this tower if you buy one, but it is a serious project to undertake.

Scott AC8DE

W6RS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Well Built Solid Tower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using the recommendation of several local hams I decided on purchasing the HHD-80, the heavy, heavy duty tower. Although I only planned on putting a SteppIR DB-18E on it, I have always felt "over-engineering" was the safest way to go. The antenna is about 13 Sq.Ft. of wind load, and the tower is rated to support 45 Sq.Ft. in 90 Mph winds. Because of excessive shipping costs I chose to get the tower unassembled and build it on site. I must say that this was more of a challenge than I'd anticipated. You'll need at least 3 and possibly four persons to assist in the building of the individual 10 foot sections. They range from 150 to 200 lbs and are quite cumbersome. That being said, this is one well engineered and extremely hunky tower. Now that it is installed I am even more impressed. Having climbed any number of towers such as Rohn 25 and 45 and experiencing the normal sway and movement, when climbing this tower it just "feels" solid and secure. Since installation we have experienced some winds of 30+ mph and this beast didn't even sway. Needless to say I am very happy with it and would have no reservations recommending it to anyone who wants a no compromise tower. If you wish to see the final installed picture, check my QRZ.com page.

KE5DYY Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2010 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the HD50 antenna about five months ago. I had some difficulty finding someone who could build the foundation for me. The Building Inspector commented when he looked at the rebar in the hole, "My goodness, what is it you are building here?" I had some difficulty with the assembly of the tower itself because it was hard to figure out what the labels on all of the pieces meant. (I got it unassembled.) The instructions could, perhaps, have been more explicit as far as how the components are labeled. The tower is rock solid and sees to show no movement in the winds that we have here in West Texas. Now I worry about the antennas that I have mounted on the tower and whether they will survive the winds and not about the tower itself. I got the tower without the step bolts and I find that it is relatively easy to climb, for a tower anyway. Great tower!

K6UFO Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2009 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Totally Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
Strong product able to meet my 80mph wind load minimum. Dan is very responsive and helpful. Extra information provided from their Prof. Engineer to meet requests from the county building department helped me get my building permit. My tower was made
by Custom Metalworks in Oregon and personally delivered, saving me shipping charges. The sections assembled without any problems. Minimal flexing during the crane lift showed how strong the tower is. Been up one year with no signs of rust.

N0HR Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2009 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Solid tower & service  Time owned: more than 12 months
ANWireless provides a top-notch product and goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to service. Dan is a great guy to work with and really works to ensure his customers are satisfied. The towers are just excellent.

My AN HD70 had a smooth installation (see:

Since installation, it has withstood severe winds (>80 MPH) without any issues - along with one or two direct lightning strikes.

More info here:

N3KS Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2008 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been one year since I installed a new AN 90HD tower. The entire process, from ordering to installation went extremely smoothly - and Dan, KK3AN the owner of AN Wireless was very helpful through-out. The tower is exceptional in its strength, very easy to climb (with the optional step bolts), and in my opinion and excellent value. I have two yagi antennas mounted on it - an Optibeam OB12-4 at 91ft, and a 3 element SteppIR on a TIC Ring at 58ft.

I highly recommend AN Wireless as a company and the AN 90HD tower.

W3MR Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2008 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did some research and discussed towers with my tower installer, W2GD. He suggested that AN Towers would be a good choice as he has installed several previously. I contacted Dan Simmonds of AN Wireless and purchased an AN 70HD tower, the step bolts, mast, and three plates for the rotor and thrust bearings. Dan delivered the tower to my location in NY State as requested and on time. After the base was installed and cured, the tower was assembled on the ground and went up using a crane in about 15 minutes.
The local building inspector was impressed with the base, required rebar cage, and the tower itself.
The tower is rock solid and is now supporting a C31XR and a 5 element 6 meter antenna.
Everything went together as expected with no surprises. Dan even supplied a few extra bolts and splice plate with the tower.
I would definitely purchase from AN Wireless again.

N2RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 19:38 Send this review to a friend
The best, period and backed by superior service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This year I'm getting serious about my hobby. A tower was definitely on my list. After doing lots of research, I finally settled on a self supporting tower. Between AN Wireless and Trylon, I chose AN Wireless because their towers seemed to be stronger and able to handle more wind load.

Everything from Initial order placement to final delivery was smooth. I sent an email to Dan Simmonds (KK3AN) and he called me the next day to discuss my order. We finalized the same day, I sent the payment and my order went into the build queue.

I also hit an issue with getting a permit, and Dan was pretty helpful. His engineers delivered sealed drawings that made my painful approval process here in Wantage township, NJ into a mere formality. Not only were the drawings up to snuff, but the tower design well exceeded even the strictest of building codes. The building inspector was thoroughly impressed.

The tower materials also seem to be the best in the business - hot dip galvanized AFTER fabrication, so they don't prematurely rust. A minimum of specialized tools are needed to put everything together, just a common socket wrench.

The only thing I must warn you about is that an ANW tower is a serious investment. It's not a cheap CB tower that you can just dig a hole and wheelbarrow concrete to build a foundation. You have to follow the plans given to you with the base, use 4000psi concrete, and it is best to use a crane to lift the tower. The tower and foundation will easily last for years.

You can also order through WX0B, Array solutions, who has accessories such as Pro.Sis.Tel rotors available.

W1AJT Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Unequaled strength  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, let me second the other reviews. I never heard of AN Wireless Towers and was set to buy a “heavy duty” version of another popular brand. Luckily I was speaking with Jay – WX0B at Array Solutions and he told me to take a look at AN Wireless because of my needed height, antenna weight, and antenna wind-load. After doing a thorough investigation I went with AN Wireless. I got mine in “kit” form drove it back from Dan’s place and assembled half of it in my garage over the winter by myself (until I ran out of room). It takes about an hour a section after the first one. The mechanical attributes of the tower are really heavy duty. The installation crew’s leader had the same opinion and has been installing towers and antennas commercially since 1968. They never saw an AN tower and usually recommend the “other” one I was considering. They were really impressed with the total lack of flex and said the other “heavy duty” tower I was considering was like stepping on rubber bands in comparison. At one point there were three full size installers on top with a 50 pound rotor and a 200 plus pound antenna and they were totally comfortable. Assembly instructions are excellent and everything is marked. Dan’s support and communication is as good as it gets. I installed the HD 90 ft. tower among 85 foot trees which is why I needed the height. I use a rock mount kit and it is installed in a granite hill. If you plan on big, heavy, or stacks of antennas, this is the only tower you should even consider.