Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Kiwa MW Air-Core Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Kiwa MW Air-Core Loop Antenna
Kiwa MW Air-Core Loop Antenna Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$400.00
Description: The Kiwa MW Air-Core Loop Antenna provides the radio enthusiast with a unique antenna for improved AM broadcast band reception and DX'ing
More info: http://www.kiwa.us

You can write your own review of the Kiwa MW Air-Core Loop Antenna.

KC0EKQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2017 00:27 Send this review to a friend
One of the best.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned and used daily one of these loop antennas and can certainly agree with the other reviewers (as well as with the majority of users) that is it one of the best MW loops ever made.

It does take a little learning curve, and some finesse, but it is pretty intuitive, especially to someone who knows what it is in the first place -- most non-hobby radio listeners would have no idea it existed, so if you know what it is, you likely have at least some fair amount of radio and loop antenna experience already.

It wasn't perfect, of course (nothing is). I found the widest bandwidth to be still-too-dark and slightly muffled, like it juuuust couldn't quite get bright and in the clear even for strong signals. It wasn't a big problem, but one that eventually became a little fatiguing to me.

As well, it could often take a micrometer-style movement to get the right, deepest nulls. It's the mark of a good loop antenna, to be sure, but in the case of the Kiwa it can be frustrating as hell. The antenna is heavy and solid but turns so smoothly (generally a plus!) that such incremental nulling rotation can be immediately spoiled by the merest bump or vibration.

But it's a fine, fine antenna and if you ever get a shot at using one, don't hesitate. But just a few things to remember...

If you are using it in a strong signal area, expect images to abound. The thing is sensitive!

It was expensive when new, and on the used market even more so. Also, as rare as pterodactyl pteeth.

I eventually sold mine because life had to happen and I must say I never really missed it; I replaced it with the far more affordable and still being produced Quantum Loop from Gerry Thomas at RadioPlus, which to my ears works at least as well as the Kiwa and better in the brighter bandwidth, deeper nulling and stable positioning aspects. I would definitely miss that if I ever lost it... but I did enjoy the Kiwa loop a lot for the number of years I had it.

K7IM Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Does what they say it does  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It takes some care tuning to get the best out of it, but it works as well as the rumors say it will. I am close to several loud BCB stations but with careful tuning and a great receiver (modified R390A) it is truly an amazing antenna. I have tried a number of BCB loops and this one has the sharpest null. Better than the excellent Palstar LA30 because it has more options for adjustment. Not for the casual listener, or to be used with a marginal receiver, but if you are serious about BCB DX this is worth the high resale price. BTW, it is VERY well made mechanically. I am very happy with this purchase Jan 2014.

WB9YCJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2002 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Unsuitable near BCB transmitters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Constant overload and intermod products appeared throughout the Med wave band due to a nearby BCB station (1480 KWIZ) making this device do an "exit stage right" from my Ham Shack. Otherwise buy it if you dont live within appx ten miles of any hi power bcb station. I truly suspect it is a cool item ! It has been generally well received by the SWL community !

N7KKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 23:58 Send this review to a friend
High End High Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Kiwa MW Air Core Loop antenna isn't for the casual Broadcast Band user. However, if you want phenominal performance which when matched to a sensitve and tight IF Skirted receiver, you will be amazed at what you can receive. I'm able to pull in the 5KW Los Angeles station from Seattle while rejecting the 50KW station located in Reno. That is how tight you can adjust the antenna to null out unwanted stations. The regeneration circuit which reduces bandwith while increasing gain of your center frequency works as advertised. I frequently listen to European stations over the pole hop at night on my beefed up IC-R70. Again, the price for a specialized tool is high, but oh, what a tool it is. You'll appreciate the quality that goes into this unit. I understand why it won the 93/94 WRTH Award. One caution, the exceptional capabilities of this antenna are best realized with a receiver which truly is an AM BCB performer.