Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna
Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna Reviews: 44 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $around 70.
Description: 2 Meter/70 centimeter two piece omni. 5/8 X 2 VHF (6dB) and 5/8 X 5 UHF (8dB). 200 watts with a SO-239 connector.
More info: http://www.k1cra.com

You can write your own review of the Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna.

KD5PNT Rating: 2/5 Nov 20, 2011 08:10 Send this review to a friend
not a good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
had a 1480 and it did not work out of the package . took it back and as they did not have another 1480 it was replaced with a 1481 .
the first thing I did was to toss the mounting collars and got 3 ubolts from the farm store and put it up with them , has been up since 2003 with no problems until recently . the SWR on 2 metres has gone above 2:1 , 70 cm is good . I did have to take apart and reinstall the set screws that fell out of the package during the first assembly . while I had it apart I soldered all the crimped connections .

KE6LCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2011 22:45 Send this review to a friend
It works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During a wind/rain storm my X50 was knocked-out by a tree branch. Low on funds, I ordered the 1480 at $46 shipped. This antenna hits repeaters that were unavailable before. If it survives rain and weather, I will be very happy.

I give it a 5 because of price/performance. The downside is the lost knowledge from building a homebrew 2/440... the other option.

W7PV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna... no issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I happened to be checking out an antenna I just built, and put the Bird meter on the Tram, and much to my surprise the SWR was still under 1.5:1 all across 2M and 70cm. At first I couldn't even remember the name of the antenna.... had to look it up in my files. I live near Seattle.... plenty of rain, wind, and falling tree branches smacking it. However, this antenna has been up (at the peak of my roof about 35 feet off the ground) for two years with no issues..... don't even recall having to seal it with anything. Highly recommend.

W5WPD Rating: 3/5 Feb 16, 2009 08:09 Send this review to a friend
SWR Issues  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We've experienced the same SWR issues as listed here on this antenna and the public safety VHF antenna. It must be tuned tightly to the TX frequency used to work well.

VE3GIH Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Inconsistant & Difficult  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've managed to get three local governments to buy these antennas, based on a local suppliers recommendation. For the past four antennas, we have had problems where the 2m SWR does not stay below 2:1 across the entire band. Since these problems could be related to installation, the supplier volunteered to open up two new packages and test them at his expense.

Our supplier is a P.Eng, instructor in telecom at a local community college and university, a ham, as well as selling these products. I trust him.

What he found was that one of the two brand new antennas showed a 4:1 SWR at 144 MHz. The SWR curves for the two new antennas weren't in any way related. Neither antenna had a 2:1 SWR across the 2m band. When we opened the antennas up to examine their construction, the supplier noted that;
1. These new antennas had much poorer construction than the ones he had inspected when he started selling the product line. Poor quality crimps had replaced soldering.
2. The construction between these two new antennas wasn't consistant.
The supplier concluded that the Tram 1480 product was being manufactured by a new supplier. The product he inspected several years ago, wasn't the same one he saw last week.

I have two more of these antennas installed on a government site, that are working well. The problem is not the design, but the inconsistancy of the manufacturing and quality control. The manufacturer has no explination for the problems, and insists that we are the only ones having any difficulty.

I suggest that EmComm sites stay well away from this product.

VE3GIH Gord Hewit

KE4DMO Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Works like a champ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was easy to install and the SWRs on mine were about 1:2...very flat. So far, I'm very pleased!

K1WTX Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2008 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna in use about 30' above the ground for over a year now and really can't fault the performance. It has performed very well on 2m and uhf and withstood the 60+ mph winds that it has seen since the installation. My only real complaint is with the mounting sleeve which is near impossible to tighten down so that the antenna is perfectly vertical when installed. Mine always leans a few degrees, depending on the wind direction. As for all the whining here over the measured swrs. on this ant.....1.8:1 or 1.2:1, it won't matter much to the repeaters anyway! I work repeaters with this antenna that I couldn't even hear with a J-pole. It isn't as sturdy but at less than half the price of a similar Diamond or Comet, it's not a bad deal....Jerry-K1WTX

KE5MID Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2008 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been pleased with my 1480 for well over a year now. I just rode out Hurricane Ike, our winds here only got up to 70 mph which was enough. I have it mounted on pole which puts the tip right at 50ft. The antenna was bending but never broke. I checked everything out a few days later and it's still working good. For the price and results, I could not have done any better......

AD5TD Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2008 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Can't fault it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these up at our EOC for over 4 years now, not one problem. I have a 1481 at home that I just replaced because of a bad coax (couldn't get the antenna base apart yet so I replaced the whole antenna, will fix later) I never had a problem and it went through some 60+ MPH winds.

As for anyone that says "It worse than my mobile", you just did something wrong. I have mine on a 55' tower and I can work repeaters a hundred + miles away on a regular basis.

It's no commercial "big stick" but for the money (less than $90.00) you just can't beat it!

N3EAY Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2008 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Has weathered many storms and keeps right on performing  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is abused and keeps right on performing! It serves as both my VHF antenna and my UHF repeater antenna similtaniously without any problem! Tough, you ask? Well here in coastal south east Georgia normal wind is 15+ MPH, plus monthly there are 2-5 days of "lake winds" (20-35 MPH with 50 MPH gusts) and annually 1 - 2 tropical storms; this antenna has been up at 31 feet to the base for three years now without a flaw. I would highly recommend this antenna or its twin (packaged under the Workman brand) to anyone!