Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna
Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna Reviews: 40 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $around 70.
Description: 2 Meter/70 centimeter two piece omni. 5/8 X 2 VHF (6dB) and 5/8 X 5 UHF (8dB). 200 watts with a SO-239 connector.
More info: http://www.k1cra.com

You can write your own review of the Tram 1480 VHF/UHF Collinear Base Antenna.

VE3GIH Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Inconsistant & Difficult  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've managed to get three local governments to buy these antennas, based on a local suppliers recommendation. For the past four antennas, we have had problems where the 2m SWR does not stay below 2:1 across the entire band. Since these problems could be related to installation, the supplier volunteered to open up two new packages and test them at his expense.

Our supplier is a P.Eng, instructor in telecom at a local community college and university, a ham, as well as selling these products. I trust him.

What he found was that one of the two brand new antennas showed a 4:1 SWR at 144 MHz. The SWR curves for the two new antennas weren't in any way related. Neither antenna had a 2:1 SWR across the 2m band. When we opened the antennas up to examine their construction, the supplier noted that;
1. These new antennas had much poorer construction than the ones he had inspected when he started selling the product line. Poor quality crimps had replaced soldering.
2. The construction between these two new antennas wasn't consistant.
The supplier concluded that the Tram 1480 product was being manufactured by a new supplier. The product he inspected several years ago, wasn't the same one he saw last week.

I have two more of these antennas installed on a government site, that are working well. The problem is not the design, but the inconsistancy of the manufacturing and quality control. The manufacturer has no explination for the problems, and insists that we are the only ones having any difficulty.

I suggest that EmComm sites stay well away from this product.

VE3GIH Gord Hewit

KE4DMO Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Works like a champ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was easy to install and the SWRs on mine were about 1:2...very flat. So far, I'm very pleased!

K1WTX Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2008 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna in use about 30' above the ground for over a year now and really can't fault the performance. It has performed very well on 2m and uhf and withstood the 60+ mph winds that it has seen since the installation. My only real complaint is with the mounting sleeve which is near impossible to tighten down so that the antenna is perfectly vertical when installed. Mine always leans a few degrees, depending on the wind direction. As for all the whining here over the measured swrs. on this ant.....1.8:1 or 1.2:1, it won't matter much to the repeaters anyway! I work repeaters with this antenna that I couldn't even hear with a J-pole. It isn't as sturdy but at less than half the price of a similar Diamond or Comet, it's not a bad deal....Jerry-K1WTX

KE5MID Rating: 4/5 Oct 3, 2008 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been pleased with my 1480 for well over a year now. I just rode out Hurricane Ike, our winds here only got up to 70 mph which was enough. I have it mounted on pole which puts the tip right at 50ft. The antenna was bending but never broke. I checked everything out a few days later and it's still working good. For the price and results, I could not have done any better......

AD5TD Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2008 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Can't fault it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these up at our EOC for over 4 years now, not one problem. I have a 1481 at home that I just replaced because of a bad coax (couldn't get the antenna base apart yet so I replaced the whole antenna, will fix later) I never had a problem and it went through some 60+ MPH winds.

As for anyone that says "It worse than my mobile", you just did something wrong. I have mine on a 55' tower and I can work repeaters a hundred + miles away on a regular basis.

It's no commercial "big stick" but for the money (less than $90.00) you just can't beat it!

N3EAY Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2008 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Has weathered many storms and keeps right on performing  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is abused and keeps right on performing! It serves as both my VHF antenna and my UHF repeater antenna similtaniously without any problem! Tough, you ask? Well here in coastal south east Georgia normal wind is 15+ MPH, plus monthly there are 2-5 days of "lake winds" (20-35 MPH with 50 MPH gusts) and annually 1 - 2 tropical storms; this antenna has been up at 31 feet to the base for three years now without a flaw. I would highly recommend this antenna or its twin (packaged under the Workman brand) to anyone!

KF4LNE Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2008 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna in late 2005 and have used it for everything. So far the only problem I have found is the radials do not easily straiten out when bent and I had to have new radials cut and threaded. This antenna was installed on top of a 30 ft mast clamped to the side of my house. Due to a clamp failure during a wind storm the antenna was slapped to the ground really hard, so hard to mast now has a permanent curvature. The antenna had minor damage to the radial that was driven nearly 8 inches into the ground in the fall. Due to having to reinstall the antenna by myself it was dropped at least twice resulting in a permanent bend to the radial. To my knowledge the antenna has never leaked and if it has it didn't have any negative effect on its performance. After a year of having this antenna installed on a pole I took it down to move and have since used it for portable use. It has been abused, dropped, stepped on, stuffed into a car, fed with 500 watts of HF when someone connected the wrong cable, been rained on and was most recently subjected to Field Day with no noticeable damage. I highly recommend this antenna but be sure you aren't buying "new old stock". Older variations of this antenna were made poorly. Also, TRAM does make a commercial band version of the same antenna and they have been wrongly packaged as Amateur band antennas. If your antenna improves in SWR as you go higher in frequency you may have been mistakenly sold a commercial band antenna.

KG4NLW Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2008 06:44 Send this review to a friend
does a good job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it at the local Ham shop on the recommendation of the store owner to replace a ringo that was destroyed in hurrican wilma on august 2005 and it sits on top of a 20ft. mast. I have had lots of favorable comments in our tri-county area. I am satisfied with it. Swr measured well within stated 1.5:1. I recommend it.
Ted KG4NLW

N5XTR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2008 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been the best purchase of ham gear for me. Swr on both bands is lower than 1.3:1. I have this one on a 30' telescopic pole and it provides excellent coverage. Purchased for 49.95 in Nov. 2005. Has been used at 3 QTH's since then and no problems. It has 50' of RG-8/U coax and no problems except that time I put Xmas lights on it...the 1480 didn't like that HIHI.

K5WGR Rating: 1/5 Jan 16, 2008 04:50 Send this review to a friend
I should have known  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put it up (the base is at 30 feet) and was so disappointed. I could not hit the same number of repeaters that I can from my mobile parked in the carport. The reception was poor as well. Put the SWR meter on it and it was running about 2:1 on both bands. I noticed that it was better on the top ends and hooked up some commercial gear. SWRs were nearly flat at 460 mHz and 155 mHz. So, I'm left to wonder if they are packaging some commercial antennas for amateur use
I should have read the reviews, but I went for cheap. Well, I should have known - you get what you pay for. I have just ordered a Diamond X-200A (which I should have done in the first place).