Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Alfa-SPID rotor Help

Reviews Summary for Alfa-SPID rotor
Alfa-SPID rotor Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1055
Description: ALFASPID rotors are of a high quality with Torque to spare. They are custom made to withstand the harsh Canadian conditions.

More info: http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html

You can write your own review of the Alfa-SPID rotor.

K3GM Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2016 12:40 Send this review to a friend
2nd RAK added to station....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost 10 years to the day, I filed my review on my newly mounted RAK. Since installed, it has provided stedfast, dependable service. When I installed a second tower last year, I couldn't think of a better rotator to turn my antenna with than another RAK. The rotator maintains rock solid headings in the windiest of weather. It's quiet, and there's no potentiometer to wear out. If I had one negative, it would be that because of the deep socket the mast drops into, and the fact that it's secured on all 4 quadrants, there is no easy way to remove the rotator for servicing like what you'd find on the traditional bell housing rotators. Fortunately, in the 10 years of service my first one has seen, it has never required service of any kind. I did have to remove it several years ago to replace a damaged antenna at the top of the stack. Because of the weight of the mast and antennas, I had to jack the rotator and mast up from under the shelf high enough to the equivalent of the depth of the mounting socket, then lock the mast in place to clear height of the rotator. This required a hydraulic bottle jack, and it was painfully slow. But then again, I've never had the mast slip in the rotator mount and get its heading mosaligned. This is a wonderfully powerful, well made rotator. While it works fine being powered by 12V, it really snaps to with 18V. I choose to control the rotator with a Green Heron RT-21, so selecting the 18V option is easy. Try this rotator! You won't regret it.

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotator, Great Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Spid RAK from Justin at Innovantenna's in the UK, it's worked great and is running with PstRotatorAz Software with computer control, put the prefix in and the rotator turns to the required Beam heading or just click the mouse on the required heading so easy it's brilliant,
After 2 years and 3 months the Motor has become noisy, I contacted Justin who contacted Jacek at Spid Poland, He sent a new Motor to Me free of charge. The Rotator is like new again all this after the Rotator was out of Warranty ?? If you want to get a Rotator that the supplier and company stand behind then get yourself a Alfa Spid Justin and Jacek you are true Gentlemen

M6LDZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2015 00:21 Send this review to a friend
So good I got another one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Originally I got a RAK to go on the telescopic mast to drive A step IR DB11 and that has a 9 element LFA on top of it. It has been up for 8 months now and I am delighted with it. No problems at all.
I got the rak because of its great interface with the computer and love the ability to set the home position from the controller. That comes into its own when I use my second RAK on portable contests. Here I use it to bottom drive (if indeed that is the term!) an 8m mast with either a hex beam or VHF arrays. i can just put it all together and then get in the car and set north. brilliant.
The other thing to note is how quick and robust the mounting is. No aluminium castings here. Steel and bolts. Which makes it ideal for a quick portable install as well, Compared with the "traditional" designs I can put this all up in a fraction of the time that it takes to bolt the Yaesu jobs together.
Now if only Mrs LDZ would let me buy the Alt/Az model.....

VE7IJJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 13:24 Send this review to a friend
help from hf ham design   Time owned: more than 12 months
contacted distributor in holland rf ham designs related my story-- they apologised for the warranty rip off -- and sent a new rotator from the factory in Poland. weather proofing on new motor is much more robust.

3rd replacement motor .

this connects to post 3 below this. good pr -- hope motor lasts

K6CT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Great rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used the RAK at the base of US Tower MA550 for 6 years in Uruguay. It turned the tower plus 3 ele Steppir beam. I used the Green Heron as the controller and it all worked beautifully. When I left CX, I sold beam, rotor and tower to internationally well known contester/dxer and he has had no problems. I had as a 'ready spare' a Prosistel PST61D and it sat in the closet for all those years, unneeded.
Tom
CX7TT/CW7T

LA5ZO Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Strong & reliable rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned and used a RAU rotator for 5 years.
I can highly recommend it. Have had a couple of minor issues which has been very expeditedly solved by Jacek at Spid ElectronIcs in Poland. Great after-market service. The ROT1 controller is really great and works very well with most rotator software used.
73 de Geir

WA1TJB Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2015 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the RAK rotor. It is mounted on top of a Force 12 LPT12 42 tower. I am using it with a Green Heron controller and am turing a Force 12 XR6 11-element 6-band beam (10 sq.ft.) I have had the unit in service for about 6 months and it has worked flawlessly to date. I am very happy with the quiet operation, and the Green Heron controller allows me to dial in the beam heading very accurately.

M0WYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Best rotator so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
After i put up the new versatower & the second yeasu g1000 gave up the ghost,i bit the bullet & bought the spid big rak!! Gone are noises & swaying directors .The big rak copes with a m2 10-30LP8-125 log periodic which weighs around 59kg/130lbs with no problems at all.
The BIG test was last winter with winds hitting just under 94mph/156kph!! the log just danced in the wind ,movement at the end of the 10mtr boom arond 1ft/30cm's max.
the other antennas with the diawa 775 rotator ,where making a great racket & considerable movement. The big rak compaired to prostil etc BRILLANT!!

ON7RK Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2014 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Seems to be great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my RAK rotor.
First impression, looks very tough...
360 + 180 is a great feature.
Only the color of the powerwires for the controlunit are confusing.
Blue and brown, these are the colors used for 230V in Europe.
Why don't they use black and red.
When i put it up in the tower i will update my review after some months.

73 de Ken
ON7RK
www.on7rk.be

VY0HL Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
RAK1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the RAK1 for 18 months, and have been through 2 winters. The rotator is replacing a Yaesu 800, and is turning a 3el SteppIR and a 6 el, 6m yagi. The controller is an RT-21. My only issue with the RAK1 is that it does not turn well at temps below -25C, and is virtually unusable below -30C. I have corresponded with the manufacturer and was told to "give 'er a squirt of WD-40". I did that and it helped a little but did not resolve the problem completely. If you live in an area that does not experience these temps. you should have no problems with the RAK1. Because of this problem I have decided to move to a warmer climate. My RAK1 has been invited to join me. :-)