Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Alfa-SPID rotor Help

Reviews Summary for Alfa-SPID rotor
Alfa-SPID rotor Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1055
Description: ALFASPID rotors are of a high quality with Torque to spare. They are custom made to withstand the harsh Canadian conditions.

More info: http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html

You can write your own review of the Alfa-SPID rotor.

M0WYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Best rotator so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
After i put up the new versatower & the second yeasu g1000 gave up the ghost,i bit the bullet & bought the spid big rak!! Gone are noises & swaying directors .The big rak copes with a m2 10-30LP8-125 log periodic which weighs around 59kg/130lbs with no problems at all.
The BIG test was last winter with winds hitting just under 94mph/156kph!! the log just danced in the wind ,movement at the end of the 10mtr boom arond 1ft/30cm's max.
the other antennas with the diawa 775 rotator ,where making a great racket & considerable movement. The big rak compaired to prostil etc BRILLANT!!

ON7RK Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2014 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Seems to be great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my RAK rotor.
First impression, looks very tough...
360 + 180 is a great feature.
Only the color of the powerwires for the controlunit are confusing.
Blue and brown, these are the colors used for 230V in Europe.
Why don't they use black and red.
When i put it up in the tower i will update my review after some months.

73 de Ken
ON7RK
www.on7rk.be

VY0HL Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
RAK1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the RAK1 for 18 months, and have been through 2 winters. The rotator is replacing a Yaesu 800, and is turning a 3el SteppIR and a 6 el, 6m yagi. The controller is an RT-21. My only issue with the RAK1 is that it does not turn well at temps below -25C, and is virtually unusable below -30C. I have corresponded with the manufacturer and was told to "give 'er a squirt of WD-40". I did that and it helped a little but did not resolve the problem completely. If you live in an area that does not experience these temps. you should have no problems with the RAK1. Because of this problem I have decided to move to a warmer climate. My RAK1 has been invited to join me. :-)

AL7F Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
RAK1  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review. I have owned my first RAK1 for over 3 years and just installed a second tower and RAK1 last summer. I am using Green Heron controllers with both, which have a ramp up and down feature. As mentioned in my first review I have installed rain shields to prevent any seepage into the motors. I also installed a heating pad wrapped around the motor to assure that I can turn them in our -40F winter weather here in interior Alaska. I use 2 of the 8 wires to carry 48 volts( to prevent over heating) to the 120 volt automotive oil pan heater pad since only 4 wires are needed for the RAK1. I love them and they have worked down to -53 F for me with NO problems.

VE9OX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Solid Product.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Alfa Spid for 2 years now and it's time I wrote a review.
First, great service is hard to beat.
Mitch at AlfaRadio in Edmonton Alberta is a great guy to deal with.
My Alfa Spid RAK is aiming a Hy-Gain 204BA 4 element 20 meter Monobander Yagi at 80 feet and below it at 74 feet, a 40 meter Monoband 2 Element Yagi on a 2 inch dia. Schedule 40 steel mast above the 72 foot tower.
The rotor is mounted 8 feet below the tower top and I use a Rohn heavy duty ball bearing at the top of the tower.

That's 110lbs. of antenna with very heavy New Brunswick East Coast winter winds and icing not to mention sideways driven hilltop summer winds and rain.
Best part of the Spid rotor is that if
(and when) the antennas shift in very high winds, it is a snap to correct beam direction without ever having to leave the ground.
I did have problem at first with the Spid controller having a segment display section go dim and that was replaced promptly.

This rotor is rugged and stable with the double worm gear design and that slick looking controller box giving the best performance I have seen in a rotor system since being licensed in 1979 as VE1BQH.
To power the Rotor I use two 12V 7.5 amp Astron DC power supplies in series to rotate the arrays 360 degrees in 1 and 1/2 minutes.

PA5CW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 05:50 Send this review to a friend
goog rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 10 year of use with an Tennadyne T8 antenna, the rotator failed to turn.

After taking it down it seemed that left turn was very noisy I took the rotator apart and changed the grease, there was no damage in the rotator.

After taking apart the motor, the carbon brushes seem worn.
I bought some new ones that were a bit longer and with build in spring. I shortened the brushes on a grindstone and replaced them.

The rotator worked like before. Hope it will last another 10 years.

Kees PA5CW

IH9YMC Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Good rotator  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all i want to explain the vote , i gave 4 only because i had troubles with the controller that time to time don't read right the degrees . this problem was fixed by a new one controller recived by the dealer ( Wimo, in germany one of the best Ham's shop in the world, with full and great customs care). So about the controller i'ved spoken , just to add that the controller can generate noise on 6 and 2 meter ( only when is working) . The rotator unit is built very strong and i never had any kinds of problem with it.

K0TVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Super Strong!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After using the Alpha-Spid Big RAK for about 9 months, I have to say that it is the best rotator I have used in the 54 years that I have been a ham! Easy 4-wire hook up. I purchased mine from MFJ and they had it here within the week. Living on a farm in Iowa, we get high winds here and my old HyGain Tailtwister T2X would sometimes fail to move my large 20 meter array but that is a thing of the past. I think I could rotate my house with this rotator! Use with the Green Heron controller makes operating a breeze!

OZ1GCT Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 07:56 Send this review to a friend
I am very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just mounted a Alfa-Spid RAU to turn my Cushcraft MA5B Mini-beam, after my Yaesu stopped working. I am very pleased with the Spid, and my neighbours love it, it's totally silent. My Yaesu 450 was very, very loud..

9A3VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2012 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great one!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Alfa Spid RAU, the smallest of Alfa Spid rotors, in use since january 2012. Experienced several violent wind storms with no problems at all. Double worm gear holds it firm in position. Simple and rugged mechanics. No maintenance necessary. Using it with K4KIO's hex beam for 20 to 6 meters, atop of 2 in. OD mast. See www.qrz.com/db/9a3vv. Best buy, worth every cent!