Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | RTO Electronics, Benton Harbor MI Help

Reviews Summary for RTO Electronics, Benton Harbor MI
Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Amateur Radio Repair
More info: http://www.rtoham.com

You can write your own review of the RTO Electronics, Benton Harbor MI.

K4WQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Once Again, The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the past, I've had a couple of Heathkit SB-series items in for repair by Ron. I have always been pleased with his workmanship. I still had a SB-301/SB-401 combination from my General days in the late '60s that needed a good laboratory grade alignment. Plus, I knew there were some issues that needed attention. I will say, it is a testament to Ron's workmanship and reputation that if you send an item to Ron for repair, it will take a long time to get it back. This is NOT a slam against Ron but an acknowledgement that quality takes time. I received both units back recently and have had them on the air. Operating these radios brought me back to my high school days. Both radios operated flawlessly. Not bad for radios that are almost 50 years old. There was one issue with a broken nylon part in the dial mechanism of one of the radios. With the way Ron packed these radios, there was no way that the broken part could have been caused by shipping. I emailed Ron to see if he had this part for purchase. Not only did he have the part, he offered to send it to me free and he also gave me a suggestion as to how to replace the part without tearing apart the front end of the radio. I truly appreciated what he did. If you ever have any Heathkit gear that needs upgrade/repair, please don't hesitate to use Ron's services.

KK4JJM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2015 07:34 Send this review to a friend
DX-40 Repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a Heathkit DX-40 off of Ebay and quickly realized it had more issues than I could solve. Ron kept my DX-40 for several months but fixed everything. Out of spec resistors and Caps, Meter problems, etc ... He is not quick but quality wins every time. KK4JJM

W0FAV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 13:54 Send this review to a friend
My Experience With RTO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ham radio was certainly different when I started in the early 1960's. Only tube radios. No digital equipment, cell phones, internet, flat screen tv, fm radio in cars, or even hand held calculators. My first rig was a Heathkit I built myself.

I fondly remember many hours spent during cold winter nights listening to the Heathkit with that wonderful sound and glowing tubes. Like many other hams of that time, I sold the old tube stuff and went digital.

Recently, however, I longed to have a Heathkit once again. So when I had the opportunity to buy an SB-102 in great condition, I jumped on it even though I knew there was no 10 meter transmit or receive.

I sent the rig to RTO Electronics for repair earlier this summer. I received the rig last week, and I can't believe what an outstanding job Ron did. Not only was the 10 meter band working perfectly, but other needed repairs were made, and 4 updates installed. Even the rubber feet were replaced!

As soon as the radio was repaired, Ron called me to explain the repairs, alignment, the total cost, and to ask if I had any questions. The cost was very reasonable, and I have a detailed printed invoice of all the completed work.

Now once again I have that wonderful tube sound and glow from a radio that is right on frequency. Even the receive is sharper than before.

So if you need Heathkit repairs, RTO Electronics is the place I recommend. Ron's services are in great demand, so be prepared to wait. It may take longer than anticipated, but certainly worth the wait.

It's like finding a good restaurant in a strange town at noon. Would you rather go to the one that is packed with local customers, or the one that's almost empty?

NB9M Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2014 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Work - Give Ron Time!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my SB-104A back from RTO. Ron did a great job, and went beyond my expectations by putting on new feet, adding the last Heathkit updates, and skillfully installing an SO-239 before a thorough alignment. The old VFO was warbly, and it is solid as can be now. Packing and shipment is excellent, with a detailed PO. Just remember: Ron is busy man. Give him time. He may not get you an email response when you expect it, but rest assured he'll get to you. Sending my HW-104 next...

K5DJN Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2013 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Ron my SB-102 for repair and I couldn't be more satisfied with his quality of work. The rig works perfectly. Fairly priced for the work too. He is a busy man so it will take time for the repairs but it's worth the wait. When I'm on the air, folks can't believe that I'm talking on a old Heathkit, clean audio and dead on frequency. If you have a Heathkit that needs repair, he's your source.

WA0LSS Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I no longer have a shack with a bench I had to send rigs to RTO for upgrade/repair. I've sent three (3) rigs there; an SB-102, a SB-220, and a SA-2060A. Each was refurbished to better than new for exactly the quoted price. In 40 years of ham radio I've never had better service or more professional, skilled, repairs. If this guy ever retires we'll be mourning! 73 Ron,
Scott

AB3IY Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
My heathkit SB-221 was in need of repair,the rectifier board smoked.I used to be able to repair these kind of things,but because of arthritis,i'ts very difficult these days to do any kind of soldering,or working with small parts.I called Ron on the phone,and he told me to ship it to him.I received the SB-221 back on time,better than ever.The communication,and the turnaround was great.Ron's prices are excellent,and so is his workmanship.So if your in need of electronic repair,you cannot go wrong with Ron's company.Truely a class act.

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2012 21:30 Send this review to a friend
SB-102 From a Real Heathkit Expert  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought an SB-102 from Ron. Though the on/off Function switch failed on me after a few times, I was able to get the switch back in working condition.

Ron made sure the rig was tweaked, cleaned and the paint was touched up. Couldn't have asked for a more professional transaction.

Dave :)

W4JFR Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service and Communication  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've sent Ron two SB-104As and an HW-104 for repair. In all three instances his communication has been outstanding. His costs are reasonable when one considers the outstanding quality of his work. I'm a very satisfied customer.

N7RUE Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2010 22:51 Send this review to a friend
sb-221  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my amp in for repairs and received my Amplifier back in Better then New Condition ! Ron installed a Soft Start, Soft Key and repaired the Blown Caps and replaced the Fan. The Price was Very Fair and I cant rave enough about these Guys....If your Old heathkit Amp is kicking the Bucket give RTO a Try you will not be sorry....N7RUE Chandler Arizona USA