Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Ten-Tec Factory Repair Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Factory Repair
Ten-Tec Factory Repair Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $75. per hr
Description: Ten-Tec authorized repair facility

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Factory Repair.

WA8NSS Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 18:52 Send this review to a friend
A new beginning?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
since the aquisition of tt by dishtronix I was skeptical about having my eagle serviced there. While in tn I dropped it off and to my surprise it was done 7 days later! They did an excellent job on the repair & installed the latest firmware.. Tentec service informed me they can now turn most radios around in 7 days. Talking to these guys I'm of the opinion they really have their act together in service(which I have been critical of in the past) and are totally committed to success of the new tentec!

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2015 14:43 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Jupiter to be repaired, and in less than three weeks I had her back on the bench. Ten Tec is a great company with outstanding service. Their repair costs are very reasonable, and their workmanship is outstanding.TNX Paul 73

KD5YIA Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I sent in my second-hand Argonaut V for a general check-up. The turnaround time was very good and most of it was in shipping -- I think the radio was on the TT bench for all of 1 day. The fixes were done and itemized very well by Gary, and the radio looks and works like new. The cost was pretty reasonable, too.

WA4THR Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Amazing personal service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a self-induced fault on a Ten Tec radio and was able to speak directly to Garry, the service tech and also a ham, several times over the course of a week. He was extremely helpful in isolating the fault and checking components. With a trip pending into east Tennessee, I decided to take the radio along and I stopped by the factory first thing on a Thurday morning. They took the radio and, with the stars aligned for me, they called that afternoon to say it was ready to be picked up the next day! The price was very reasonable for what had to be done, and the entire staff was most courteous and friendly. Garry even carried the radio out to my car! This was a component level repair of a 22 year old radio and that is one reason I love having Ten Tec radios.

KD8GTP Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Did OK, kind of pricey  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I shipped my Omni D 546 to Ten Tec for a PTO rebuild. I know they sell a PTO rebuild kit but being a 'no code appliance operator who memorized the test answers' I didn't want to try it myself :)
Plus I wanted them to give the radio a check over.
I received an email from TT the day they received my radio, and gave me a 4 week turn around time.
3 weeks later I receive an email saying my radio was repaired and I could pay on-line or send a check. Total cost was $289. Keep in mind that included the return shipping cost (45.) and tax (22.). I paid on-line and the radio was returned promptly, very well packaged I can say. I hooked it up and powered it on. 2 of the LCD displays had dead segments. I emailed TT telling them of the problem. I received an email from Paul the service mgr. Paul told me they didn't work on the LCD display, they just rebuilt the PTO and checked it over and the LCD was working fine before it was shipped. Paul said it is not unusual for a 35yr old radio to develop problems after taking a ride with UPS. The handling, tossing, truck ride, can cause old solder joints to break. This explanation sounded reasonable to me, what do I know. Paul told me to call him and he would help me fix it. I did call him and he told me what to check. Sure enough it was simple to fix, loose connection :)
So to sum it up. The turn around time was ok. They charge $75 per hour labor so the price wasn't too bad I guess. They do offer great phone support. Try calling Yaesu and getting help with a 35yr old radio let alone getting them to fix it.
I wanted factory service and that came at a premium price. It was worth it and I would use them again.

K7FD Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Somethings not right, don't know what  Time owned: months
My Orion II sat at Ten Tec for a month, then I was told a bad logic board. No explanation for the failure was given other than 'something external' to the radio. With shipping I was looking at a $700+ repair...on a rig only a year and half old and extremely well cared for. Since I have five different rigs, it had very low use hours on it. I would have been happy if Ten Tec had taken some responsibility and shared a portion of the repair expense on a relatively new radio. They didn't agree...

In the end, I traded it on an Eagle rather than pour more money into a radio that 'broke' for no reason. I was satisfied with the trade but the repair experience definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Not what I expected from Ten Tec .

AE6RQ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Good turn-around, customer communication and value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some months ago, I very stupidly cooked my Argonaut V finals by running long duration, high duty cycle WSPR transmissions at too high power and without fan on heat sink. I sent the radio to Ten-Tec who met my expectations in every way.

KG8JF Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Takes too long  Time owned: more than 12 months
They did fix my radio. I have an original Orion. My problem with them is that it took too long to get it back. They admitted they were short on help. Their prob not mine. And, anymore shipping via UPS is mucho expensive. By the time you pay shipping in both directions, radio repairs are getting very expensive.

K0CRX Rating: 1/5 May 19, 2014 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Expensive repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have sent two radios to Ten Tec for repair.

Paragon - Shipped it to Ten Tec, paid for the repair, paid for shipping back to me. Upon opening the box, the fan that I installed on the heat sink was broken off. Tested the radio and it was DOA. Paid to shop it back to TT, paid for another repair, paid to ship it back to me. Upon arrival, I repaired the broken fan. The radio worked, but, I had to pay double for the repair and they returned it damaged.

Pegasus - This is a very low hours, very gently used radio, never abused. Shipped it to TT for repair. They presented me with an invoice for $439.94!! They found 1) a bad xsistor on the DC board, 2) both PA xsistors were bad, 3) both driver xsistors were bad, and 4) ALL 14 bandpass relays were bad. This on a radio that has used very little and treated gently.

TT will never see more business from me.

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 04:46 Send this review to a friend
fast turnaround  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the past month I have had my old Triton and its power supply back to Ten Tec for service and the turnaround time was extremely fast and the cost was very reasonable.The service from Ten Tec has always been outstanding in my opinion and by the way who else works on their procucts after they have been out of production for this long?If you are like me and use older simple gear Ten Tec is the way to go not only for service also factory supporty with any questions that you might have. wb4edb