Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Ten-Tec Factory Repair Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Factory Repair
Ten-Tec Factory Repair Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $75. per hr
Description: Ten-Tec authorized repair facility

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Factory Repair.

W8BYH Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2005 03:52 Send this review to a friend
First Rate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past few years I've sent a number of items to TT for service, beginning with a new Jupiter that had a leaky transistor in the finals and ending with a basket case Triton II I got from a fellow ham. Their service has always been first rate and fairly priced. Turn-around time on repairs of out-of-warranty work has always depended on the workload of the bench techs. I've had stuff returned in less than two weeks, other items have taken well over a month. Lots of folks may gripe about the turn-around time, but ask yourself this, what other amateur radio manufacturer will even look at one of their own products made 30 years ago? TT will, and they'll fix it without even batting an eye!

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Blinding Speed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sent my Argonaut V in to Ten-Tec on February 4 for the 1.08 hardware/firmware upgrade. On the 11th, I got an invoice showing no charge for the work. (I need to send a check for $11.00 for a couple of accesory items I ordered and then the radio will be shipped back.)

I do not see how this experience could be bettered.

John, W3ULS

K4BXN Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
We may have different preferences and opinions when it comes to various transceivers, but when it comes to service TEN TEC is the BEST. They will do what it takes to make the ham/customer happy Very Satisfied customer JC Harley - K4BXN.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2004 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Expertly done on my argo 515!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the crew at tentec did a great job in repairing my argonaut 515.. not only did they fix what needed to be repaired but also solved other problems with the unit at NO additional cost AFTER the estimate.i would strongly recommend that tentec owners send their rigs here if they need repair...

K9YC Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2004 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own six different pieces of TenTec gear, and I'm glad I bought every one of them. A major reason is Ten-Tec's attitude about customer service and support (and the fact that their gear is of excellent quality). Their factory service is very good, but it is slow and it is not cheap. There are times I've felt that it was over priced.

BUT: Ten-Tec has a serious committment to helping their customers fix their own problems in the field. There is no doubt in my mind that they would prefer that we do that, and their techs are very willing to help us do that.

About two months ago, I bought a Titan 425 on EBay, probably from its original owner. It was in very nice shape, and it fired up nicely. I ran it for close to 16 hours in the IOTA contest, and was just getting comfortable with it when the vacuum relay locked in transmit. TenTec's service staff was VERY helpful in helping me diagnose the problem (was it the very expensive vacuum relay, a much less expensive reed relay, or something else?), and sent me the reed relay at no charge to try!

It turned out that it was the vacuum relay, and they sold me the (very expensive) replacement. Not cheap, but they stocked it! And this is for a product that they last sold at least 12 years ago! When I told them that it looked like one of the boards in question had been modified, they offered to send me a used board to try as a replacement, and to compare with mine. And their (very competent) tech spent close to a half hour with me over a period of several weeks on diagnosing the problem.

A few months before, I bought a used Hercules (the original, discontinued at least 20 years ago), also in good condition. They were equally helpful in my efforts to diagnose some issues with it, and it's working nicely too.

Down side -- I find their bench service to be expensive and slow -- I paid more for them to fix my old Omni A and remote VFO than I could sell it for on EBay. And each time I've sent them something it's been a month before I see it again.

Bottom line -- do it yourself and keep your gear out of their shop if you can. But used Ten-Tec gear is a good buy, providing that it has been well cared for, because it CAN be maintained over the long haul. That Omni-A and remote VFO just went out on loan to a young ham who just passed his General, and it's the second time I've done that with that radio!

KR3DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2004 21:17 Send this review to a friend
The BEST!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned an OMNI VI Plus for 6 years and a Jupiter for 1-1/2 years. I've had no problems with the Jupiter, but I did discuss some matters with Paul Clinton a few months after I purchased it. Paul was very polite and helpful, a real gentleman. My VI Plus developed an intermittant receive problem in the SSB and CW modes (FM was OK) about 2 years after purchase. I called T-T service and discussed my observations, it was decided that the best course of action would be to send the rig in for service. I received a post card informing me when my rig was received by T-T. When my rig was repaired a few days later, I received an e-mail advising me of the cost of repair. I sent my check to T-T and received a perfectly operating rig a few days later. The rig was in MINT condition when I sent it (except for the intermittent), and it was in MINT condition when it was returned to me. The guys at Ten-Tec realize that a Ham's rigs are among his most prized possessions and they treat it as such, no rough handling to add scratches and dents to equipment that has been babied by its owner. I received a detailed description of the repair and a list of the parts that were replaced. The labor cost was very fair and I paid $1.16 for 4 diodes. (Many years ago, I paid one of the Jap manufacturers $15.00 for one small diode for a 2m mobile rig) My Omni VI Plus has been working perfectly since that repair, about 4 years now. In my opinion, Ten-Tec's service is the best, not just in Ham Radio, but it would be exemplary service in any field. A salute to T-T service and to the best guys in the amateur radio business.

Denny

WB7LP Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2004 03:39 Send this review to a friend
These Guys Know Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I haven't felt compelled to write a review about a service and parts department until recently. In the last couple of years, I have had to call Ten Tec Service to get parts to repair some older TT items given to me (Triton IV, an Argonaut 509, and a Hercules 444) ... I have been pleasantly surprised and a little amazed that the parts were still available and a knowlegable and patient staff present to answer questions about the older product.
I noticed that each time I called, I was forwarded promptly to the right person for the particular product line and given the information needed to effect repairs. The cost of the factory parts was reasonable as well (in a couple of cases, where it was one or two little items, I think they sent the stuff off in the mail for nothing). A group which apparently is proud of their product and is willing to stand behind it for that many years is indeed a rare thing these days.
While I do own HF radios from two other MFGs,
it (frankly) was this body of experience with Ten Tec Service which convinced me to purchase a new radio from them late last year.

WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely first class!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Argonaut V developed an output problem. I made a call to TT to see if they might have a hint on something I overlooked. Everyone on the phone was polite and informative.

I ended up sending the rig in. That was less than two weeks ago. It came back yesterday in perfect shape. No warranty hassles, no problems at all.

It's great to be able to call the factory and talk to people without having to learn a foreign language first.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had to send one piece of Ten Tec gear in for repair and the turn around and work was excellent. And they were friendly and courteous - which really stands out in todays "outsourced / off-shored" world.

N4PSE Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
In all fairness they finally replied and offered to make it right. That's good enough for me.