Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV-18VS Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AV-18VS
Hy-Gain AV-18VS Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: 18 foot Base-Loaded 10/15/20/40/80 Meter HF Vertical Antenna
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/products.php?prodid=AV-18VS

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV-18VS.

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine for Christmas when I was in my teens. The original 18v.I got to replace one of the tubings and put it up. I use to use 67 ' radials and worked great on all bands. I know it says 33' radials in the instructions but to operate on 80 metters you need longer ones. It worked as good as my dad's 18avq.

M0GGH Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2009 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Not exactly waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried one just for fun. To my surprise 80m band worked much better as I would ever expect. Also, no DX antenna in no means, but easy +10 dB over the Europe. Not a single radial on 80, just tuned to 1:1 against the ground, enjoying very fine ground in the area. 20m fair (with 2 radials) however I had to shorten the tubes, to be at least within the range on the analyser. Every distance, and all directions about 3 S units below the mono band delta loop cut to the frequency at the same low height. In my opinion, 20m band could do a bit better. However, antenna works, take-off angel on 20m still high for any DX, but one could not expect more, having short vertical with the heel blocked by fence-next-to-fence-apocalyptic garden situation in Robin Hood land. Works better than any expensive short portable.

W5CMP Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 12:20 Send this review to a friend
AV-18VS Cheap&Work's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a AV-18VS and had it together in 15 minutes and really like how it works.For a small antenna the thing preforms pretty well.I have no beef with Hy-Gain antennas and knowing how HF works this is the cheapest bang for the buck.If your not able to build your own antenna,Or don't have the space i would give it a shot.I set my vertical mast at 28.400
16ft 5-3/4 inches 1/2 wave on ten meters,Tap the coil @ 2-1/2 rounds and VSWR was 1.5:1.boom I'm on the air.I mounted it 3 feet above the ground and added 6-40 meter counterpoise wires 12ga copper house wiring in six different directions.It changed the receive for the better.
73 from W5CMP North Texas.

AI4QT Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2008 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hesitate to purchase this vertical since I was not sure how well it would perform in my rocky limestone back yard. WOW, I am impressed! It does just as well for me as my G5RV and on some bands even better. The band that the G5RV does a better job is on 80, but I can indeed work 80 on the Hi Gain AV-18VS. I have about 25 radials coming from the antenna's base.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 19:13 Send this review to a friend
efficient and priced right!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
after many hrs of looking at comparisons of verticle antennas,i decided on this one. went together easily,and had it soldered up to the coax,tuned and operating in about 1 hr. build quality is good,all parts were there,and it performs as well as my g5rv.signal reports are within 2 s units. depending on conditions,it is sometimes better then the inverted v. tunes all through the 75/80 meter band,which is were i tuned it for.its priced right,and works well. would i buy another?? you bet. especially knowing it wont cost me my paycheck,and it gets me on the air working dx,or ragchewing. well worth the money.

N8MRC Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2007 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good for portable operations, like camping or field day or if you have antenna restictions, but if you can put up a G5RV I would use that for a base antenna b4 the AV-18VS, don't get me wrong the antenna is good. I plan on using mine for when I go camping and for field day. Cheap way to get on HF without the hassle of trying to hang ropes...

W0NBP Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2007 19:38 Send this review to a friend
E-Z to use Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
My old friend WA0MWW emailed me and asked me about my Vertical Antenna. After I had emailed him with all the info, I thought maybe I would do the review here.

I have had the AV-18VS for about two years and for the most part have had very good luck with it. I bought it primarily for back up when a squirrel chewed down one end of my dipole I have up between two trees in my yard.

Assembly was easy and all the parts were in the bag. I first mounted it on a 5' tripod in my back yard with two large 12' spikes driven into each foot. I ran out 6 18' radials on the grass and a ground line to a ground rod and on to 60' feet of 4' high chain link fence for a counterpoise. At that time I was using a Kenwood TS-450SAT and I experimented with tuning the coil with and without the auto tuner on the 450. Came to the conclusion that I could just throw away the jumper for the base mounted coil and connect the coax directly to the base of the coil and the antenna base (ground) thus giving me a little electrical length and added inductance to tune with. I was able to work 80 thru 10 meters including WARC bands and MARS frequencies. My best DX was an LO2 in Argentina.

I wanted to do all my testing on the ground because my intention was to mount the vertical and the tripod on the peak of my roof. I left the whole business in the yard for all of the first summer and it worked just fine. The old 450 would tune all the bands and only groaned when I got on the MARS bands…. But it would eventually bring it down to 1.5:1 VSWR. In the fall, with the help of some of the OARC (Ottumwa Amateur Radio Club) members, we got it mounted on the roof and relocated the radials to lay neatly in my eaves troughs. I connected to my ground rod and also to the 60’ of chain link fence.

By then I had acquired a new radio, a Kenwood TS-480 and it did not like the AV-18 at all. It would tune 40 and up but nothing else. In checking around for a solution to the problem, I ran across an article that mentioned the Vectronics 514 to extend the auto tuners range. I ordered one and in a couple of weeks had it in line and it proved to be the answer I was looking for. Now the 480 will tune the whole band including 160 meters.

Now almost a year later, I have another radio, a Kenwood TS-570 on a dedicated MARS Pactor frequency and using the vertical with that. About all I use it for anymore is PSK-31 on 20 meters during the day and occasionally work 30 or 40 meters CW in the evenings. I work both coasts, no problem, when band conditions are favorable. Am looking forward to an improvement in band conditions this summer.

All in all for the $98.00 plus shipping that I have invested in it, it has been a very good antenna. If you are limited for space and need a decent antenna that will give you good performance, then by all means get the AV-18 and get on the air. Just remember, It is not a Yagi or a dipole up 100’, but simply a reliable, easy to assemble vertical that will get you on the air with a decent signal for just a few bucks.

Bill
W0NBP
SE Iowa

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 09:34 Send this review to a friend
WORKS THE DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE BEEN USING THIS ANTENNA FOR A COUPLE ON YEARS ON DIGI MODES ON QRP POWER AND HAVE HAD SOME GREAT RESULTS.REAL EASY TO PUT TOGETHER & TAKE DOWN IDEAL FOR /P-/FIXED MOBILE & HAVE ALSO USED IT ON A SMALL SPEED BOAT /MM.A LITTLE TRICKY TO TUNE VIA THE LOADING C0IL & CROCODILE CLIP METHOD BUT IT DOES WORK,EE ZE PESEE WITH A TUNER.TO SUM UP A NICE ANTENNA THAT WORKS VERY WELL I WISH I HADNT JUST SOLD IT BUT THAT LIFE.

W9UCR Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2006 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna performs as advertised. I'm a dipole fan, but space restricts me to a vertical. I can load on all bands 80-10 with no problems as long as I use an antenna tuner. I need to employ the base loading coil when on 40 and 80 meters. And that brings up my only gripe...

Hy-Gain supplies a small screw-adjusted "clip" to allow shorting out part of the base loading coil. After a bit of use, the clip bends making it impossible to close the clip sufficiently to grip the small wire of the coil.

Anyone have an idea how to connect to a couple of different taps w/o using that clip?

Bob, W9UCR

K5YUT Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2006 05:56 Send this review to a friend
High-Quality Basic Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in that part of the US with the highest ground conductivity, so vertical antennas work especially well here and I am in the process of home-brewing a series of single-band vertical arrays for the bands I care about. Meanwhile, I've installed this little antenna as a utility antenna for all HF bands. With my low power (30w out) it works as well as any big base-loaded whip (and with the local ground here that's pretty well) and it is very well made of high-quality parts. A fine antenna for the money.