Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Swan Mark 1 Linear Amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for Swan Mark 1 Linear Amplifier
Swan Mark 1 Linear Amplifier Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: The Swan Mark l linear amplifier was introduced in 1965. It featured the following; 2000 watts PEP / SSB 80 thru 10 meters, 1000 watts input on CW and tuneup. Uses 2 Eimac 3-400Z zero bias triodes in grounded grid formation. Has built-in 2500 volt solid state 117 / 230 vac power supply. Power switch reduces input to 1000 watts dc for CW and tuneup. Untuned input circuit, fast QSY, dual change over relays provide automatic barefoot or linear operation. Wide range Pi-output network, with metering of grid current, plate current, and relative output. Unit requires 100 watts of drive for full output. Size is 19.5" by 18.5" by 15.5" deep. Weight is 60 pounds. Sold for $495.00 US in 1965 complete with tubes.

You can write your own review of the Swan Mark 1 Linear Amplifier.

XF3PAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2013 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Old Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I receive this Amp from A silent Key Family
Replace the capacitor Bank from Harbach Electronics and put the "Slow start unit"
this is a most in able to save your transformer
now the amp is working as a champ with the Original 3400 tubes very easy to work on it and Roomie cabinet give you space to place two high speed computer fans, I am very happy with it
Albert XF3PAS

K5ZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 13:24 Send this review to a friend
GOOD OLD AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too recieved the Mark I in 1965 as a birthday present from my folks. I ran it with a Heathkit Apache and then later with an S Line I got for graduation present...no I wasnt spoiled. my mom loved me and ham radio cuz it kept me at home and not out getting into trouble. Very easy tuning amp, quiet running. The zener diode went out on the relay and that is a clacking buzz that will get your attention. When I was in Philly in 76 a guy was putting together a Swan 350/500 stn and offered me more than mom paid for it ten yrs before. If you find one and it works pick it up...3-400 just as good as 3-500 in my usage (dx and contesting).

WA4ISZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Linear Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
My parents bought me the Swan Mark I back in 1966 to go with my Swan SW-240, a triband 80-40-20 meter SSB/CW transceiver. The two rigs worked beautifully together.

In 1989 I retired the SW-240 and bought a Yaesu FT-767GX transceiver to go with the Mark I. I continue to use the Mark I and the FT-767GX.

Not long after buying the Mark I, the power transformer burned out, and Swan sent me another transformer without charge. I'm still using the original Eimac 3-400Zs. I seldom use the full plate voltage and let the linear loaf in the Tune/CW position.