Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | KDK FM-2016 Help

Reviews Summary for KDK FM-2016
KDK FM-2016 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m 25W FM mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the KDK FM-2016.

W8ROI Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Great mod was available  Time owned: more than 12 months
After I had my 2016 for a few years, a local ham came up with a scanning adaptation for the KDKs and a bunch of other radios. This was well before any of the 'Big Three' had ANY form of scanning. This mod also added one extra memory position. Like the original radio, it could scan looking for either an occupied channel or a vacant channel.

I think he must have made over 1000 of these 'kits', and one year, at the Dayton Hamvention, he did mods right at the booth, and in most cases, got them back to the owners the same day. He took unfinished work back to his motel room and worked into the night to have them ready for the next day! A real dedicated guy.

Since he and I were members of the same radio club, he did a free install on my radio. I went to his house, and he dove into my rig, and told me how to modify the mike, which was involved in the scan/stop process. A switch had to be added, but this did what it had to do with the existing mike wires!

After the 'Big Three' started offering various forms of scan options for their rigs, he got out of the business.

His mods also opened the radio up a bit. It was possible to tune several MHz below 144, and almost up to 150 . I found a lot of 'strange' signals up in that range above 148. After listening to one of them for several months, I concluded that it was probably a remote telemetry system reporting something for a utility company, but that was just a guess. It had CWID, and some FSK, and some other form of modulation which sounded like 'pulsed heavy buzzing'. I was never able to put a directional antenna on the rig to get an idea of where that station was.

I made a few AFSK RTTY contacts with it, but did not want to keep it in the house, so I didn't do much VHF RTTY in those days.

The radio had reasonable sensitivity and I was never bothered by adjacent channel activity. And, in the Detroit area, we had and still have a lot of 2M repeaters.

If anyone wants more info on this scanner, I will be glad to swap e-mails with them. The designer and builder of this has retired from his main job and now lives in Arizona. I will respect his privacy and not give out his name or call. If someone has a real compelling reason, I might give their e-mail address to him and let him decide whether or not to contact them.

I still have my KDK 2016 and fire it up every once in a while, and make a few contacts. I replaced the T/R relay once, and aso the memory back-up battery. I am sure that the battery needs another swap out!

Thanks for reading, if you got this far.

Ralph - W8ROI
(ex-WA8GDT)

PS eHam needs one more category in the "Time Owned" block below: STILL OWNED!

KA2AYR Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2005 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice frequency selection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these in the late 70's. Someone I know wanted to get rid of his, so I jumped on the opportunity to take it. A couple of issues - these radios may have to be restored. You do that by replacing the electrolytic capacitors (they dry out and de-value). Replace potentiometers that have dead spots. Once that's done, realign the radio and it sounds pretty decent. ***Not as advanced or high power as modern radios***, but no other radio I've had has had such an easy frequency selection scheme. Radio has concentric knobs to set 10's and 100's in KHz, a 5 kHz on/ off switch and a MHz select. You can change frequencies very fast. Relive the golden days of FM and repeaters with this neat radio that still has relevance today.

ZZ1MDE Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2003 05:59 Send this review to a friend
the kdk its terrific  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have 3 kdk radios, for me one great experience

ZL2UFI Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2002 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Interesting rig.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I brought one of these rigs, as a replacement after my IC-290H had been stolen from my car. I got it cheap, as the ham selling it didn't want much for it. I used it mostly mobile, and initially didn't get very good reports. The main reason for this was that it wouldn't hold the repeaters. After speaking on the repeaters, I was talked through (on the repeater), to adjust the deviation. This consisted of opening the rig and tuning the pot until the transmitted audio sounded better. This in fact ended up in me tuning it as far as it would go! The reports I received after this were much better. I can't honestly say that I liked the radio that much, with the red display, and meter that it had. It was a real come down from the IC-290H with a LED meter and green display, plus being FM only. It had five memories as well, if I recall it correctly. All I can say in the end was that it filled the gap while I argued with the insurance company over the value of my lost radio. In the end, I owned it for some 9 months while this went on. I later sold it for more that I paid in a junk sale. Wasn't too attached to it when it went. Never had any other problems besides the deviation as mentioned above. I owned it in the mid 1980's - don't recall how old it was when I had it.