Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Proset Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Proset
Heil Proset Reviews: 80 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: Headphones with boom microphone.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProSet.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Proset.

KE2TR Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2017 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Headphones Great, HC6 a 3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am re reviewing from my first review of the ProSet6. The newer headphones are a step above the original ProSet which I still have, much better audio response which seems to be tailored for voice communications. The phase reversal thing doesn't really bring much to the table but what ever you are doing the headphones work fantastic at either on SSB,CW or AM.
Now for the not so good stuff, the HC6 mic element is nowhere close to the old HC5 wide range element, its said to have a flat response but IMO its flat in the middle, almost hollow sounding and no were near the voice articulation of the HC5 had. It need some work so after a month of conversing with Bob by e mails I desired to mod the acoustics surrounding the HC6 element in which I placed a small amount of tape over the holes in the front of it which seems to cut down any noise pick up around you and give the mic a more unidirectional pattern plus it improves the mid-range as well but its still not an HC5. I may call Heil and see if they still have an HC5 element somewhere in there back stock room cause trying to make these boom sets for a wider market range for resale was a huge mistake, ask any of the DXers on 20 meters and they will tell ya they like the older boom sets above what is sold today. I also use a Heil PR781 which has a fuller sound but I also did a tape trick on the sides of the internal mounting of the element which vastly improved the mid range. Sorry I am not one of those who spend $500 on a RE27 to use an SSB but if I was using an old plate modulated AM transmitter in which you can have a 10K plus response the that is a different story.
Overall great headphones but mic needs help and I hope my last review gets removed it was a little harsh.

N5LB Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2016 17:01 Send this review to a friend
I really enjoy this headset  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could have paid nearly three times as much but I wanted to try this one first. Surprisingly I don't feel the need to spend many hundreds for a headset. The transmit audio is great on my flex 5k. They're light enough to wear for long periods. Mostly I use them on SSB and to cut background noise when on cw. I made my own cables saving a few bucks more.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2016 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good communications headset/mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second Proset I've purchased. First was for an Icom IC-746 and this one is for my Yaesu FTdx-3000. Used initial audio equalizer settings suggested by Heil and then tweaked them just a little for a little more low end for with only equalizer on and a little more high end when the compressor is on. Get good over-the-air audio reports. Love the headphones, very comfortable.

AA6VB Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2016 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Look Elsewhere For Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had three Heil Headsets. The first was great and lasted about 20 years.

I then bought two Heil Prosets and the durability is low. The mike stopped working and one of the wires to the stereo plug disconnected so only one side of the headphones works.

I bought a RadioSport Headset. There is no comparison between the quality of the two - amazing. Granted the RadioSport was considerably more money, but please, the mike and the plug on a headset ought work!

I suspect Heil saw their competition running away from them and copied the RadioSport Headset. The two look amazingly similar. I wonder if the quality is the same? I am not going to take a chance. I will junk the Heil and buy another RadioSport.

KD0QEB Rating: 2/5 Jan 7, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Looked around for months before settling on these. Mic is great . . . audio reports are outstanding. Also, really like the phase reversal this can really help understanding some incoming audio. But, they really get uncomfortable after about an hour or so. They have a tendency to fall off if you turn your head too fast or look down as the headband doesn't have enough tension to hold them in place. If I had it to do over I would have purchased the WGA MODEL TR-2000 headset as our club has 4 sets of these and I used them for extended operation on field day and our recent 2 day special event.

WB2KSP Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 06:04 Send this review to a friend
What a difference  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In late 2011 I returned to the air after more than a decade of being QRT. In December of that year I replaced my old equipment with a new radio, power supply and a headset mike, the Heil Pro Set Elite 6. The headset was heavy, the ear pads were on the ear design which, in my opinion is fine for a very light pair of stereo headphones but considering the weight of the Pro Elite it didn't take long before it became uncomfortable to wear. That issue was treated by replacing the on the ear pads with an over the ear design, which I purchased from Heil. About two weeks ago the microphone became intermittent. In short order the headphones needed repair due to on air audio dropouts. I traced the failure to a wire inside the headphones where the cord connects to a PC board. The wire associated with the mike element was frayed and shorting out. A few minutes with a soldering iron and I was able to restore audio but I want to have the cable replaced. That brings me to the Pro-Set. While my headset was out for repair I wanted to have a backup headset. This time I purchased a Pro Set 6. It is everything I wished the Elite was. It's light, the earpieces are over the ear type and comfortable and the mike swivels out of the way. I'm still going to have the Elite repaired but I think they will become my back up headset. Both headsets have the same mic element so the transmitted audio is the same and the Pro Set 6's lighter weight is a real positive.

W5VIN Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2014 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Heil Proset 6  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the Proset 6 and an adapter to fit my Yaesu FT-2000. I had RF on the transmit audio and in spite of trying various things it was persistent. After some Internet searches I logged on the Heil sound site and found my answer there. The Heil built Yaesu adapter I had ordered did not have a grounding wire from the microphone shield to the metal part of the 8 pin connector. I also own a Heil HM-12 microphone and this ground is there. It has no RF on the transmit signal. I wonder why Heil decided to leave this ground wire off. It ended up being a 10 minute fix. W5VIN

K4HYJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just used the Proset 6 version all weekend for the ARRL 10 meter contest. I love the cut at 8khz - really helped with audio fatigue. The headband adjusted fine for my noggin and no ear pain from the cans themselves.

I received several good unsolicited audio reports - and that was with no audio adjustment on my IC-7600.

I'm satisfied!!

N0IDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Good set, but I keep a spare  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Proset with the HC-4 element. My deeper voice and the FTdx-5000MP seem to match up well since I get many complements on audio. I do like the 1/8" plug since I can use the Proset on my computer or Ipod if I want. The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is not an issue to me when using it on the rig. After a year or so of daily use/ abuse the cord does fail, but I can't blame Heil. The cord gets hooked on a foot, or the chairs arm, run over by the vacuum, or closed in a door fairly often. There isn't a cord made that will put up with that for long, but the one provided does well considering. I bought a second Proset and keep it as a spare. Parts for this headset are easily obtained, and at a reasonable cost including earpiece covers, microphone foam covers, cord and the like. A little solder, jewelers size Phillips, back it goes as a spare, and the cycle continues. It's a good product and worth a little effort since it foots the shacks bill so nicely. I have no problem with comfort, and the rest of the parts of the Proset hold up to use well. It's not top notch, but neither is the price. I would recommend it to anyone.

KC9AXZ Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Pro Set 6. This a a great value. I'm not a fan of desk or studio microphones. This does fit the bill. The headset is comfortable and the right weight. The microphone is sensitive and not in the way. This microphone doesn't pick up a lot of background noise. The phase reversal on the cans is also a great addition. I cant wait until Field Day to really put these to the test.