Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Proset Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Proset
Heil Proset Reviews: 74 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: Headphones with boom microphone.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProSet.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Proset.

K1IZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Very comfortable, great audio from the HC-4 element  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using the Proset on a Yaesu FT-980. I initially found the head phones to be very comfortable, but casual usage wasn't much of a test. I put it to a real test during the California QSO party. They were very comfortable the whole time I operated. I wear eyeglasses, and never felt the bows pinching the whole time. A big surprise was the number of unsolicited "great audio" reports I received during the test, outnumbering my Yaesu MD-1 by a ten to one margin. The HC-4 element really does a fine job. My only complaint (are you listening Heil?) is the cord is waaaay too long! I uncoiled enough to make do and then put the twist tie back on. Still, for the price, I would recommend them,

K5MO Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2009 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Quality probs, questionable serivce policy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like my headset, but it lost function in one earpiece in a little over one year. While I realize this is somewhat inevitable, I thought $100 + headphones would last a bit longer.

My second surprise was repair policy. The only way to get tracked shipping is stated as UPS. Heil wants $16 for tracked shipping , otherwise there's no guarantee of delivery. To quote:

"For returns out of warranty, we will ship only UPS ground, so it can be tracked, and you will be charged $16."

$16 isn't the end of the world, but it's 15% of the purchase cost of the item, we all know that USPS priority is cheaper and does provide a tracking number and convenient service. I ship such items weekly, and I know the cost.

I'll probably try and fix them myself, after all it's just headphones and wires. It's good to keep this service policy in mind when factoring in the purchase price. I found the performance no better or worse than my Telex set, and have no complaints in that regard.

NE2Z Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it - even if not entirely used for Ham Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What motivated me was PC use more than Ham Radio. I got tired of going through cheap PC multimedia headsets every year. Then I got to thinking it would be nice to finally have a nice headset to use as a Ham. After the reserach I decided to go with this headset and the HC-5 element since I was goint to use it most often on the PC.

I'm 70s old school when it comes to wanting to feel the weight and snuggness of a decent set of headphones on my head. So you can imagine me going back in time when I closed my eyes, plugged into my Toshiba SA-420 ( I said I was old school) and played some of my '68 to '74 collection of music. Was quite happy.

OK. Back to the PC. I've used it in gaming (L4D) and Skype with no issues just that I have to keep the boom very close to my mouth.

I'll let the other 5/5 reports speak to its quality when used as intended :)

AA4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 22:03 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Prosets for many years of contesting and DXing. It is very comfortable. When one broke after many years of hard use it was easy to send back to Heil for repair. I prefer the Proset to the Proset Plus.

AA6VB Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2007 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable After Extended Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three Heil Prosets over the last 17 years. The first set lasted about 15 years. I bought two additional pairs since I have two rigs. The build quality has been first rate in my experience.

The audio seems fine, both on rx and xmit, although I am no audio expert. The downside is that the earphones become very uncomfortable after a few hours use. They actually hurt!!! This is not a product I would suggest to any dxer or contester who plans to spend more than about an hour at a time in front of the rig. Look elswhere for comfort...

Bob/AA6VB

K3AN Rating: 3/5 Dec 26, 2007 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable for long use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Proset with the HC-4 element. The mic definitely has punch and the earphones provide smooth audio while reducing ambient noise. BUT, they are so darn heavy and tight on your head that wearing them for more than an hour or so is just plain unpleasant. I use them ONLY at Field Day, when other nearby ops are busy shouting their CQs and exchange messages. I would also take them with me if I were to participate at a multi-transmitter contest station. At home, in my quiet shack, I much prefer the Heil BM-10 headset/mic. You can wear them comfortably for hours on end. So Heil gives you a choice; choose according to your need. Or buy both!

ON4CT Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2007 10:53 Send this review to a friend
good mic , moderate audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a second hand headset since one year.
The FT1000MP Mark V and the HC5 element form HEIL are very good !
The audio from the headphones is not so good, my cheap 10 Euro PC headphone is equal to the HEIL.

The parts are moderate quality.

I give a 4 because the all the parts can be ordered.

DIRK
ON4CT
ex on4adz

WF2S Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2007 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a Pro Headset for 15 years with my Icom 761 and 765. I enjoy rag chewing and DX -5BDXCC and Honor Roll, and use the Heil with the HC4 element for all SSB contacts. While replacing the foam ear pads, through no fault of the product, I broke the earphone swivel to the headset. Thinking the worst, that it was not repairable, I decided to salvage the two speakers for a project and remove the HC4 element for future mike implanting. At Dayton, I met the Heil team and was surprised to learn that for $45 plus shipping they would repair and restore the Pro Headset to NEW CONDITION.I sent them a box of pieces! In one week it was back in my hands with all new parts and working without a flaw. Now, if only the other manufacturers in the USA would provide such excellent service. Sure, their product is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. I am so satisfied that I boucht a Pro set with the dual elements for Icom. I will continue to use Heil products for all my microphone needs.

VK4TZL Rating: 0/5 May 28, 2007 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This piece of junk arrived faulty out of the box. On contacting Heil, they wanted me to pay for the return freight...so I get to pay more for purchasing a faulty product.

Never again.

Glenn
VK4TZL

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my Heil Proset for about a month now, also this being my first shot at using the headset microphone. I must say they are very comfortable, I have used them while on a net on 40 meters and was given an outstanding on my audio. Once I figured out how everything connected I was a believer. I use mine on my FT-897 so had to get the adapter for the yaesu, instead of using the foot switch I purchased the hand switch by Heil.
This is not really a complaint, but me personally, I think the cable is too long, I've got more cable than I really need. Also, when I'm on vhf/uhf I have to turn the mike gain waaay down, if I don't then I sound like I'm in a dixie cup.
Overall, construction is very good, typical of Heil Sound. I have the HC-4 element and I must say, it certainly does come through when you need it. On my Kenwood TS-480HX I use the Heil Handi-Mic with the HC5 element, which works exceptionally well with my rig.
I will report back in a few months with a new and more comrehensive report on my Heil Proset-4.
73 all thank you for reading my post.

Mark AI4HO