Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Proset Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Proset
Heil Proset Reviews: 77 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: Headphones with boom microphone.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProSet.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Proset.

W6OPO Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2011 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Ok but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the Proset Plus with the HC4 and HC5 element for several years. The headphones (head band and ear muffs) are the best I have ever had. But the HC4 and HC5 elments just sound awful. I get complaints so the mic boom is never used. It wont stay where I put it anyway.

A few months ago I bought the Proset HC6 - not the elite but Proset HC6. The HC6 mic element is a vast improvement over the HC5. In fact it sounds good, really good.

But the ear muffs are smaller and the headband is loose. It is maddening to tilt my head and have the headset fall off! I can't stand it. The old heavier Proset Plus with big ear muffs and tighter band work great but for the mic elements and boom that wont stay where I want it.

If only Bob Heil would put the boom and HC6 of the Proset on the Proset Plus!

One more thing - the new Proset doesn't come with a 1/4" plug! Although the packaging and instructions claim a 1/4" plug it has an 1/8" with a 1/4" adapter. I complained to Bob about that but got no where.

The problem is when I pull the headphone plug out of the radio the adapter stays in and so I have no sound until I yank out the adapter. Not good.

Unhappy -

Bob - W6OPO

W0AKR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Value Proset 4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new one from Gigaparts for around $130 and like the set. Work fine, seem well made. Bought cheaper sets in the past and ended up either in the junk box or returned for one reason or another...

UR5LAM Rating: 3/5 Dec 8, 2010 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Fine Audio, but uncomfortable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great mic! Audio reports are excellent.
Earphones sound exceptionally good.

The headset are very hard to use for long time.
I'm feel ache for my ears after 1-2 hours in a contest.

K1IZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Very comfortable, great audio from the HC-4 element  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using the Proset on a Yaesu FT-980. I initially found the head phones to be very comfortable, but casual usage wasn't much of a test. I put it to a real test during the California QSO party. They were very comfortable the whole time I operated. I wear eyeglasses, and never felt the bows pinching the whole time. A big surprise was the number of unsolicited "great audio" reports I received during the test, outnumbering my Yaesu MD-1 by a ten to one margin. The HC-4 element really does a fine job. My only complaint (are you listening Heil?) is the cord is waaaay too long! I uncoiled enough to make do and then put the twist tie back on. Still, for the price, I would recommend them,

K5MO Rating: 2/5 Mar 7, 2009 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Quality probs, questionable serivce policy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like my headset, but it lost function in one earpiece in a little over one year. While I realize this is somewhat inevitable, I thought $100 + headphones would last a bit longer.

My second surprise was repair policy. The only way to get tracked shipping is stated as UPS. Heil wants $16 for tracked shipping , otherwise there's no guarantee of delivery. To quote:

"For returns out of warranty, we will ship only UPS ground, so it can be tracked, and you will be charged $16."

$16 isn't the end of the world, but it's 15% of the purchase cost of the item, we all know that USPS priority is cheaper and does provide a tracking number and convenient service. I ship such items weekly, and I know the cost.

I'll probably try and fix them myself, after all it's just headphones and wires. It's good to keep this service policy in mind when factoring in the purchase price. I found the performance no better or worse than my Telex set, and have no complaints in that regard.

NE2Z Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it - even if not entirely used for Ham Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What motivated me was PC use more than Ham Radio. I got tired of going through cheap PC multimedia headsets every year. Then I got to thinking it would be nice to finally have a nice headset to use as a Ham. After the reserach I decided to go with this headset and the HC-5 element since I was goint to use it most often on the PC.

I'm 70s old school when it comes to wanting to feel the weight and snuggness of a decent set of headphones on my head. So you can imagine me going back in time when I closed my eyes, plugged into my Toshiba SA-420 ( I said I was old school) and played some of my '68 to '74 collection of music. Was quite happy.

OK. Back to the PC. I've used it in gaming (L4D) and Skype with no issues just that I have to keep the boom very close to my mouth.

I'll let the other 5/5 reports speak to its quality when used as intended :)

AA4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 22:03 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Prosets for many years of contesting and DXing. It is very comfortable. When one broke after many years of hard use it was easy to send back to Heil for repair. I prefer the Proset to the Proset Plus.

AA6VB Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2007 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable After Extended Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three Heil Prosets over the last 17 years. The first set lasted about 15 years. I bought two additional pairs since I have two rigs. The build quality has been first rate in my experience.

The audio seems fine, both on rx and xmit, although I am no audio expert. The downside is that the earphones become very uncomfortable after a few hours use. They actually hurt!!! This is not a product I would suggest to any dxer or contester who plans to spend more than about an hour at a time in front of the rig. Look elswhere for comfort...

Bob/AA6VB

K3AN Rating: 3/5 Dec 26, 2007 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Uncomfortable for long use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Proset with the HC-4 element. The mic definitely has punch and the earphones provide smooth audio while reducing ambient noise. BUT, they are so darn heavy and tight on your head that wearing them for more than an hour or so is just plain unpleasant. I use them ONLY at Field Day, when other nearby ops are busy shouting their CQs and exchange messages. I would also take them with me if I were to participate at a multi-transmitter contest station. At home, in my quiet shack, I much prefer the Heil BM-10 headset/mic. You can wear them comfortably for hours on end. So Heil gives you a choice; choose according to your need. Or buy both!

ON4CT Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2007 10:53 Send this review to a friend
good mic , moderate audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a second hand headset since one year.
The FT1000MP Mark V and the HC5 element form HEIL are very good !
The audio from the headphones is not so good, my cheap 10 Euro PC headphone is equal to the HEIL.

The parts are moderate quality.

I give a 4 because the all the parts can be ordered.

DIRK