Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-1200
Ameritron AL-1200 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3310
Description: Tube Type Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-1200

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-1200.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2009 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Perfect 1.5 KW amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My AL-1200 is going on 10 years of near flawless performance.

My only failure was the surge suppressor relay in the HV primary circuit. Within a week I had a new relay and replacement resistor (design change) that went in easily.

If I had to purchase an amp today, I would not hesitate buying an AL-1200.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Beyond Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted you to know the AL-1200-XQ is working flawlessly and the new 2.5KW Pin Diode QSK-5 PC internal PC is AWESOME ! It is seamless and silent, you can not detect any attenuation on or off and it is as smooth as if you were using the K C keyer, Perfect With the Icom. The new QSK-5 switch is far better than the old pin-5 switch as far as attenuation,swr change,loading and logic. the 12v jack on the back now has a lable called Handshake used for yaesu and Ten Tec.so I'm very happy with it.Love the instant on of the 3CX1200A7 truly a tuff tube,mine is 20 years old and puts out +900 watts with 30 watts in,and goes way beyond our needs. Need Help?? talk to MIKE ENNIS @Ameritron he is great to work with....!

K0KS Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2008 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Value for High-Power  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My AL-1200 was rescued from CB service and is about 5 yrs old. It proabably wasn't used for ragchews or contesting. The HV cap and diode boards are shared with 2 other full-power amps and the caps are pushed beyond the max rating. Two of my 'lytics vented violently leaving a mess to clean up and $120 for new ones. When installing the xfmr and tube, do inspect and tighten everything because MFJ is notorious for bad solder and loose screws. The AL-1200 is NOT an Alpha but I didn't pay for one either. It's a good value for the bucks.
73 de Ken, K0KS

JUNKMAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Well Built Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two of these in the past and just bought another one used. It's a fairly early model but it works great. This one still has the original tube and only takes 75 watts to produce legal limit. 100 watts makes about 1950 watts out. Although not as much output as my 800H it is built better on the inside with better components. Would probably take alot more abuse than the 800H as well. I'm very well pleased with it.

WM3T Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the AL-1200 for about 2 years. In that time, I have had no problems with the amp, even when on the wrong antenna. I have a PL-259 that this amp burnt up without damage to the amp. I run legal limit for hours during contests and about 1K during RTTY contests. I don't doubt the ability of the amp to run legal limit with RTTY, but want to take it easy on the radio during that time.

I highly recommend this amp as the tuning is very smooth and very tolerant of operator error.

K1ZYW Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2007 05:02 Send this review to a friend
6 YRS & STILL GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for over 6 years - bought it new.
IT JUST KEEPS ON PUMPING OUT 1500W ON ALL BANDS despite my many senior momements....

I have owned many amplifiers but this one is the best - and it is a basic amp that any OT OP will be able to maintain....

Smooth loading and MOST Rugged

Ken K1UM (EX K1ZYW)

K7YNO Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2007 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got a good deal on a used AL-1200 made in 1987 that needed some refurbishment due to prior operator mis-use, not design deficiencies. It now puts out more than 1500 watts CW with the original tube! The 3CX1200A7 is a very rugged tube.
I replaced the arc-damaged plate tuning cap (from high SWR) and replaced an arc-damaged 120 VAC SPST step start relay with a $10 double-pole version, both poles tied in parallel, and the step start resistor with a 20-Ohm unit, as used in the newer units. I replaced the meter lights (which had burned out) with a light-bar I made from 1/2-inch plexiglas bar stock, and 6 super bright white LED's, 3 above each meter(and appropriate series dropping resistors). The LED lighted meters look great. Stripping and repainting the cover made the amp look like new. When I replaced the bias zeners (one had been damaged) I improved their heat sinking to the chassis with an aluminum strip with smaller thru holes, and thermal grease. I adjusted the position of the 40-meter coil to reduce coupling into the cover, per factory suggestion. I made 0-100 scales for the TUNE and LOAD caps, that I laser printed. This makes logging settings much easier. Factory technical support was excellent, and Ameritron replacement parts cost was very fair (zeners and new plate tuning cap). I have several HF linears, this one is a keeper!

KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2007 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressive amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was thinking about a legal limit amp for sometime so I came across this AL-1200. I sure am glad I purchased this unit. I have a old AL80-A that has worked perfect for 7 years. The AL-1200 will put out legal limit very easily. On 160-75-40 meter bands it will do 1500 watts with very little power input. I dont think I will ever need any more amp than this jewel. Works great an looks great, I'm very impressed. 73's Tom

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2006 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am one of the hams that has 2 linears. For the other summary, read my review of the Ameritron AL-82. In this review I will be comparing the AL-1200 to the AL-82.
With 100 watts drive, the AL-82 will put out 200 watts more output than the AL-1200, but you can drive the AL-1200 with 200 watts and get considerably more power out. However you can get more than 1500 watts out with 100 watts drive on either amp. I am not suggesting you run more than 1500 watts out, but I am giving you this information as a comparison for you to consider when you choose an amplifier. As of this writing the tube for the AL-1200 costs $729.00 and a pair of tubes for the AL-82 costs $300.00 from RF Parts.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2006 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the other positive remarks about the Ameritron AL-1200 amplifier.
I bought mine used, With a few minor problems. Sent it in to Ameritron and they brought it up to new specs for a VERY reasonable cost!
As mentioned by others, The cooling fan does make some noise, But I have my amp built into a console, That helps to quiet it down a little bit, AND I look at an RF amplifier like using NOS in a drag race car. Just turn it on when really needed!
A minor complaint is the plate tuning knob. I replaced mine with a vernier type tuning dial so I can return to previous settings every time.
(I log settings on a sheet and can return to a setting for a particular antenna with NO on air tune up at all! (The amp is very forgiving of a minor VSWR mismatch)
All in all a GREAT value!