Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-1200
Ameritron AL-1200 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3310
Description: Tube Type Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-1200

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-1200.

K4SUS Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 1999 14:40 Send this review to a friend
BEST NEW 1.5 KW AMP VALUE  Time owned: unknown months
AFTER SHIPPING A NEW AL572B (POOR-MANY PROBLEMS), AMP BACK TO AMERITRON I DECIDED TO TRY THEIR AL1200. THIS IS A GREAT 1.5 KW AMP VALUE! MINE WORKS GREAT AFTER 6-7 MOS. FAST, ALMOST INSTANT WARMUP. STRONG, SINGLE, 3CX1200A7 TUBE, EASILY GIVES CLEAN, LEGAL LIMIT, IF NEEDED, WITH LESS THAN 100W DRIVE. I LIKE IT!

W9XT Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 1999 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and good value  Time owned: unknown months
I bought one of the first AL1200, something like S/N 23. The thing I really like is the tube, a 3CX1200A. It is a high gain tube and can be driven to full power with a solid state rig where 100W means 100W. On mine it typically takes about 65W to drive.

The other nice thing about the 3CX1200A is the high grid dissipation. It is rated at 40W. This gives you some margin for error in the middle of a contest when you are tired and maybe didn't tune it as well as you should or had the wrong antenna switched in.

I have had a couple of problems. The worst was during the last 10M contest when something flashed over on the plate voltage metering circuit. Afterwards there was some small amount of HV arching over the fried trace that gave me solid S7 noise. I ended running barefoot the second half of the contest because I could not hear anyone. Still, one amp failure in about 12 years of heavy contest use is probably much better than average.

HC8N Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 1999 14:45 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: unknown months
We have settled on this amplifer as the standard at the island QTH. It's easy to tune up, puts out adequate power when driven by a TS-850S, and fits inside the giant Samsonite suitcase favored by ZD8Z. Furthermore, you don't have to sit through a three minute warmup cycle every time the line voltage hiccups, and believe me, this is something you care about when you operate from a place like HC8.

W6NL and I like this rig so much that we now own five of them.