Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | KDK FM-2025 Mark II Help

Reviews Summary for KDK FM-2025 Mark II
KDK FM-2025 Mark II Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 25W 2m FM mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the KDK FM-2025 Mark II.

WG5J Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 21:12 Send this review to a friend
This rig seems impossible to kill.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my Grandfather's KDK FM-2025 MK II. He bought it new in the early 80s. I have had it for 20 years. I remember listening to him on it when I was kid driving around Wichita, KS. It might be a tad big, but it looks cool with the LED read out. I imagine my kids will be using it also. D.

VO1GXG Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2007 19:02 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this rig for about a month now .

Mine does not have the original mic but has a Motorola powered microphone . This rig can handle anything , it gets into the repeaters with great ease and has great audio . when this one needs servicing i am happy to do it ( its had its finals replaced once already ) this rig is worth it ! . a very nice rig to use everyday !

ZL3TPQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 05:48 Send this review to a friend
A very good set!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes I have one of these sets.
A very good, dependable radio transceiver.
The dial light has burned out in my set, but I'm sure it could be very easily repaired, in comparison to a modern set.

KU4QD Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2002 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, reliable old workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KDK FM-2025 mark II dates from the early '80s. The one in my car is still going strong and still gets good reports despite being 20 years old. The rig looks like an FM-2016 or an FM-2025, but by this generation KDK had refined and pretty well perfected this design.

The Mark II puts out 25W on high power, 5W on low power, has 10 memories, and the usual array of scanning options. The rig has excellent receive audio and good transmitted audio with the stock mic. I suspect a newer mic. would deliver a fuller, richer sound with more high end. Receiver sensitivity is better than most 2m FM rigs I've had, and I seem to be able to hear repeaters better when I am on the fringe of their coverage area with this rig than many newer rigs. The FM-2025 Mark II is also not sensitive to intermod, making it a good choice in metropolitan areas.

The memories are broken into two banks of five, labelled A and B. You can scan either bank of memories, but not both, which is odd. A5 and B5 determine the band scan range. In this area we have repeaters on 145.11 and 147.39, so I don't feel I'm losing anything, but for many areas figure on really only having 8 memories. In addition, memory A1 is reprogrammed to the current VFO frequency if you hit the WRITE button when in "Dial" mode. Make that 7 memories, although having a memory you can write to quickly while tuning around can be convenient. In addition, the memories record only the receive frequency. Offset still has to be adjusted by hand as needed.

A PL (CTCSS) encode board was provided with the rig, but much like the one in the FM-2030 or the FM-2033 (see my review), the PL tone frequency is adjusted with a pot rather than dipswitches, which can be inconvenient at best. The good news is that the board and pot are easily accessible, so you can change the PL tone by trial and error if you have the patience to do so.

The display is a red LED as was typical of rigs of that era, so it may be difficult to read in bright sunlight.

All in all, the KDK FM-2025 Mark II is a very reliable if old rig. Since KDK hasn't been in the US market since the late 80's it may be difficult to find some parts or a place to service these rigs as they age. I'd judge the rig to be a good choice for someone on a very limited budget or someone who is looking for a reliable, inexpensive 2m rigs provided you can live within its limitations. It was certainly an excellent rig in its day.