Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | KDK FM-2015R Help

Reviews Summary for KDK FM-2015R
KDK FM-2015R Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $390
Description: Late 70s 15W 2m FM mobile

You can write your own review of the KDK FM-2015R.

WB4M Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2002 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Solid rig from the 1970's  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I rate this rig a 5 when others rate it low. Here's why: My 2015R was the 1st 2 meter rig I ever owned, and it was bought USED one back in 1979! It has perfomed without fail since then, 23 years worth! I ran this rig mobile for years, then as a base unit. As time went by, I acquired another 2 meter rig and the 2015 became dedicated to 2 meter packet DX spotting.
Some of the features of this rig were a 4 (yep, four) memories, scanning for either a vacant frequency or a busy one, fine tuning, 15 watts high power and one watt low power. Programming it is a total snap compared to today's rigs and you can do it even while driving. The cabinet is made of solid metal and can take some banging around. Mine came with a standard mic but I believe a mic with a TT pad was available. There was even an outboard memory unit to expand the number of channels but I have forgotten the model number of it.

So, if you have a need for just local communications and not a lot of memory channels, or perhaps a solid rig for 2 meter packet, this rig will fill that need just fine. You could probably pick one up at a hamfest dirt cheap. I think rating this rig low when comparing it to rigs of today is unfair, just as rating a 30 year old rig that has developed some problems is unfair.
By a brand new Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom 2 meter rig today and then in 2030 see how it stands up. Heck, in 2030, I won't be standing up, hi hi..

This rig has been a solid performer for me for 23 years and deserves a solid 5 ++

M1PAC Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2002 18:24 Send this review to a friend
good enough for packet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iv'e had this radio for about one month now and the output pwer is not stable , it changes as it get's warmer,a BIG heatsink is needed.I live near our local repeater (GB3TP) so I don't need much power to access it and I can still talk to my fellow ham's.It's a tad querkey on recive as well but I have been using it for packet,and if you don't go mad it work's quite well.Don't buy one unless it's quite recent , the circuit boards look home made.and the components second rate . not a good buy unless you are DESPERATE!!!!!
M1PAC

KC0NPF Rating: 3/5 Jul 30, 2002 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this radio at a hamfest for $50, it worked great till about a month later when the TX power suddenly dropped when I ran it on high. I switched to low power and it dropped to nothing there. Also the tone was nearly impossible to calibrate because there is only one tone switch and it has to be adjusted from inside. Being that this radio is 30 yrs old I can see a problem happening, I didn't guess that the problem would be the TX. Don't buy this radio to use, only as a collectors Item.

KCONPF

(P.s. Anyone have a used Icom 2100H or Yaesu FT-1500M that they are willing to sell for a reduced price?)