Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Terlin Outbacker series Help

Reviews Summary for Terlin Outbacker series
Terlin Outbacker series Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $249 to $439
Description: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/joey.html
More info: http://www.outbacker.com.au/

You can write your own review of the Terlin Outbacker series.

VK2CU Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2013 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the Outbacker Outreach - 160-6m.

Mounted on a "nudge" bar on the front of my Ford Falcon Ute. Tunes up on all bands and keeps my FT857 happy without a tuner. Is fairly broad on most bands, but be careful on some of the wider ones as it has it's sweet spots. Make sure it is mounted away from obstructions - attaching it to the spare wheel holder on a 4WD is a no-no. A very tough antenna which will last for years. A great boredom reliever if you do a lot of long distance driving as I do. Was thinking of a auto screwdriver antenna, but hearing of the reliability of some of these, went with Terlin. Australia has plenty of "chip-mix" roads where constant vibration can destroy antennas, not so with the epoxy construction of this antenna.
Downside? it is pretty tall and can hit things if not careful! Having to stop and move the lead if changing bands - but that is your government suggested "rest" break! Haven't tried 160m yet.
Would also be ideal if you live in a flat or controlled housing estate.
Nice one Terry, and thanks!

VK1GG Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2012 01:26 Send this review to a friend
BRILLIANT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had Terry make me a custom Outreach antenna with a few spot frequency/ band taps covering 80/40/30/20m.This new outreach is 3M Tall and works almost as well as my previous HIQ 5-160.The quality of construction is superb and this aussie gem represents great value for money. Many Thanks to Terry Clinch for this custom made beauty!

Best 73 DE Chris.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Outreach reaches out...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a townhouse and have to avoid the association "police patrols" who wander around clutching the rule book. I use the Outreach with the ground tripod outside my patio door. Twice a year, I have to break it down and hide it from the inspection team. That said, it works well for me and my modest station. I seem to have a pipeline into the middle south and daily work stations 1000 miles away. The finish is a bit dull from all the crap in the air around here but seems to be standing up okay.

SP9HZX Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2012 01:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Guys,

I have been using Outbacker Perth for 15 years and I can say that I am very familiar with this antenna.
All this time 24 hours out of doors.I use it in the car and on the balcony. With power 5 to 100 W Out.
It has been used both in very warm and cold countries,in all kind of terrain.
It works fine from 80 to 10m. In the car (station wagoon) I never use any ATU and SWR is very good. When I use it on balcony, very close to the concrete wall I use ATU. In fact,I have more than 270 contries confirmed working with Outbacker.
As it is exposed to severe weather conditions coating isnt very shiny but after 15 years...
IMHO it is may be the best mobile antenna, very simple and rigid.There is nothing to be damaged.
Undeniably grounding is very important.
It is worth its price. I am going to buy another one.

Best 73
Andy SP9HZX
www.qsl.net/sp9hzx

VK4HG Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Reliable, performs  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Outbacker Perth is four years old now (see my first review as VK2HZA). The antenna has been bashed by trees, even hit a bird in flight (stinger bent), survived a collision with a snow plough (stinger replaced), roasted in the Queensland sun, endured hundreds of hours of salt spray beach driving and rattled over thousands of kilometres of corrugated dirt road. The outbacker keeps on performing. This weekend I rejoined all the connections, drove to the coast and worked stateside DX. Do the earthing right, mount it reasonably high and it will perform. No itís not a auto antenna. Yes I will buy another one. Centre loading works.

K3FXR Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2009 19:25 Send this review to a friend
GoodGreat mobile antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna back in the 90's and it worked excellent on my Jeep Cherokee and my tow truck. I achiieved my dxcc150 using this antenna with an icom 706m2g.
It sat in my garage for a number of years after selling my icom.
A few days ago, I purchashed a Yaesu 857D and reinstalled it on my Jeep. I use a 2 inch piece of angle iron and a few ground straps on the rear bumper. This time around, I made an air choke with a few feet of the feed line ( 10 turns of coax at 6 inches diam. ) and the rig and antenna work very well. The air choke took away all of the noise levels one gets with a mobile setup and I replaced the ground straps with new ones. After a week of DX contacts, I can say that this antenna still works great!
Sometimes, the bandwith can be aalittle narrow. I installed an LDG AT-100plus auto tuner for touch-ups on each band. Thiis does away with playing with the stinger when onthe fly.
If you are thinking about getting one, GO FOR IT!
K3FXR

EI6DP Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding/Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello Brethren,

I have owned two Terlin Outbacker's over the past 5++ years.
The first Outbacker I clapped my eyes on was when I borrowed one from a friend of a friend of mine (Bill EI5FY). My mate (Mike EI2EO)brought me the antenna which was bolted to a square frame welded together from 2" angle-iron.
I placed the antenna on the balcony of my apartment and had several QSO's on various frequencies. To say the lease the Outbacker was bloody great. Its performance was decisive! I purchased one straight away, I purchased the Outbacker Outreach (10-160mtrs). Even on Top band I was getting very good reports.
I then bought the Outbacker Outreach 500W (6 - 80mtrs) which I still have and use regularly (either ground mounted or mobile). I also used it Motorcycle Mobile see (www.qrz.com/ei6dp) for photo.
I use the SGC Power Cube (500w) with the Outreach and the performance is just outstanding.

Well done to Terry Clinch and his gang. & 73's to all.

Gerald EI6DP
(Its one bloody great antenna mobile or base )

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2008 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Always dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years I have owned the Terlin Outreach, the Perth and the Tri-Split. All have performed
well for me in a variety of field applications.
I have personaly seen them in use comercially all over Australia, and in the Outback.

I have used them mobile as well as portable with appropriate counterpoises and grounding. Any shortened antenna is a compromise, and mobile antennas especially need careful thought as to placement and grounding.

I highly recommend this antenna from 10 years of hands on experience all over the South Pacific and the USA.

Allen
K6USN
Ex E51USN, VK4DSN

VK2HVA Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the Terlin Outbacker OB8 antenna after reading a few reviews and a recommendation from a Ham friend of mine. After fabricating a purpose built sturdy bracket that looks like part of the car, the antenna was mounted on the drivers side [ RHS Australia ] of my Subaru Outback H6 wagon. Earthing is very important, wide braided straps etc, I was amazed the first night I took it for a test drive with strong signals I could hear from VK4, VK7 and VK5. So I tried working them, however had some RF problems. They could hear me ok, but not always intelligbly etc. Bugger. Back home, some chokes etc on leads, etc, and took it for another test run a few evenings later. This antenna, driven by my IC 7000, just was amazing, with reports from far away suprised that I was portable mobile. Took it off road a number of times, no sign of it falling apart, had the odd whack by a tree branch, the heavy duty spring saving the day.

The build construction of this antenna is rock solid, bullet proof, quality. the sales and support from Terlin Australia excellent, Highly recomended. Must work good, there are many fitted to coaches and trucks when you travel the outback roads of Australia. Buy another one, you bet. My beautiful girlfriend went up to it, looked and touched it, and said that it looked 'cool' on my white Subaru wagon. Black antenna. She approved of it and likes it hanging off the back. What more could I as for. Go for it. Our dodgem car.... ha!

VK6ZMS Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2008 06:31 Send this review to a friend
OUTBACKER OB8  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was surprised how well this antenna performs. I have had contacts into Russia and Norway on 20m while mobile.