Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Terlin Outbacker series Help

Reviews Summary for Terlin Outbacker series
Terlin Outbacker series Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $249 to $439
Description: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/joey.html
More info: http://www.outbacker.com.au/

You can write your own review of the Terlin Outbacker series.

VK2XB Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2007 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Robust Plus!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Terlin since before they even began marketing as the "Outbacker".

To be honest, I have had mine for so long I even forget when I purchased it! I am an interstate (or over the road) truck driver and I would guestimate that mine has endured about 5,000,000 Kms of torture over some of the roughest roads and terrain in the world - outback Australia. It looks terrible, these days, as it has copped a proper flogging, having been belted off trees, been clobbered by all sorts of debris and suffered terrible vibration, sitting on the front of a "bullbar" for all of its life.

It still works very well, though and has never failed to perform. Having said that, the fact that the counterpoise (truck) is a quarter wavelength or more long on 80 Metres, so that helps the thing work even better!

I have "home brewed" antennas, and had just about every conceivable alternative that is available commercially in this country, but it still shines head and shoulders above the others in both performance and robustness. The only other make that was as good or better is no longer available.

The ONE weakness I have found is in that darned stupid tuning spike! Whilst the stick itself has managed to handle everything thrown at it, that tuning spike is a completely different matter.

I believe that Terlin do not market "hoseclamp" tuning simply because it needs to be resonated individually on each band, and every time you tune one band it effects all other bands and most hams haven't the patience or knowledge to do this properly. Pity, because such a system would take it from being a great antenna to being superlative!

All in all an excellent product to the extent that I am considering purchasing another one (that looks the part as well as playing the part) for the new truck when it arrives! You can't have a geriatric, knocked about looking antenna on a pretty, new big banger, can you?

I have to say that I would thoroughly recommend this product if you are looking for one of the sturdiest pieces of equipment you would ever want to hang off your vehicle as an antenna.

Last but not least, most people who have had dramas with getting ANY mobile antenna to work on the HF bands (particularly the lower ones) have had difficulties due to either inadequate counterpoise or lack of knowledge in resonating such a device - they can be trickie and a pain in the whatzit until you learn the "knack" of it!

PD9CHR Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 11:54 Send this review to a friend
outreach 500  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Expensive,but very good quality.Make a lot of contacts with good reports.Together with Alpha delta tri-pod works 100%.

M0ZOL Rating: 1/5 Mar 20, 2007 09:24 Send this review to a friend
outbacker construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an outbacker antenna , owned it for 4 yrs , this particular model was made 1999-2000. the coating on it is bad(cracked ,flaking and chiped off) ,outbacker is helpfull only if you can find your original receipt.:(( and will charge you for the lifetime warentee repair work.the antenna is a good performer i'll give them that ,and i will have to bodge it all up now with some wax and insulation tape.I'm just very very sad about the customer support.will purchace other antennas in the future.
i give it 1 as it works.

N4RAP Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2005 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great all in one antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love these antennas. Over the years of being a ham I have owned about 10 Outbackers of one kind or another. They are not cheap but they do work and are not sucha bad "eye sore" on your good looking car or truck. In my opinion, they don't work quite as good as a Hamstick, but what do you expect? Each Hamstick is a monobander and should have superior performance to almost eveery other thing out there. But if you don't want 8 antennas and stingers rolling around in your trunk, and don't like re-ordering stingers that you have lost, bent or misplaced...then the Outbackers are for you. I swear by them and wouldn't be caught dead without one. They are rugged and do what they are advertised to do. they are also attractive and that's a plus, if you are married. Like any other antenna in productin... the longer models work better than the short ones, but believe me the short one DO work and they will surprise you. Also some models have long stingers and some models have short stingers. Although all of these antennas work, as you may have guessed by now, the longer stinger'd antennas have more efficiency and a higher "Q" and therefore work better.

If you buy one, I think that you would be at least satisfied with the performance and really happy with the convenience of keeping up with only one mobile antenna.

73 from the Northeast Corner of Texas
N4RAP is clear.

VK2HZA Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2005 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Outbacker Perth  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Outbacker Perth after reading the reviews here. I wanted a rugged, no moving parts HF antenna that could stand dust, mud, salt, snow and corrugated outback tracks with my 4X4. The Perth is certainly well built, excellent quality product.

I took lots of care to earthing the installation. Every metal contact sanded back to metal , all connections heavily torqued down. The base was then earthed direct to the truck body using a 2 gauge cable (145 x 19/0.12 stranding). Everything was sealed up with silicone sealant.

I get a flat SWR across all bands with the exception or 80M, where a quick manual tune up is easy enough to do. My DX contacts are limited to 10 & 15 meters with my Limited license. The unit performs ! Many regular contacts within Australia and several European and Asian QSO in the following weeks. While traveling in the outback I made daily contact Japan. Lots of great comments about the signal.

A strong, no nonsense (manual) antenna. I would buy another one.

WY7Q Rating: 3/5 Sep 3, 2003 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Joey Antenna--not bad but somewhat of a compromise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Outbacker Joey antenna on eBay as a package deal with a Yaesu 817.

Let me preface my review by stating that I live in a suburban/urban environment, and I had a tough time getting out with the Joey.

The Joey tuned up great across the board on all bands, less than 1.5:1 on all bands except 2 meters. Very portable, but you need to use the counterpoise, or don't plan on getting out at all.

I have made a number of contacts on it, mostly when I took it out to a more rural setting. but had some difficulty getting it to work in the city. I was able to talk to a few people but not many. Most of my contacts on the Joey were in the Northeastern US, where I live.

If I lived in a more RF-friendly area, I might have had better results. As a result, I ended up selling the antenna after a while, because I just wasn't making the contacts.

Your mileage may vary, I suppose... it didn't work real well for me but it may be OK for what you are doing.

N8CMZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2003 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Outbacker Joey QRP Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Utilizing the Outbacker Joey with the Yaesu FT-817 HF Transceiver I have worked over 100 countries in the past 6 months on 10 and 15 meters. 5 watts to this indorr antenna says - yes it does a great job. Previously used a Miracle Antenna which performs very porly in comparison. The $300 for the antenna and stand is well worth the investment for those of us in restricted operating zones.

W4TDX Rating: 2/5 Feb 27, 2003 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Outbacker Perth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried mounting this antenna in every place I am willing to have an antenna of this size on my Tundra pickup. SWR is off scale no matter where I mount it or what I do to it. Even changed COAX cables. Alpha Dalta tried to help but I think it's just a bum antenna. I will not buy another Outbacker product. I plan to return it to HRO tomorrow for some Hamsticks and other items.

N8VGY Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2002 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Joey-Best Indoor antenna for FT-817  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried a couple antenna configurations for my installation (mainly, an AP-10A from B&W) that consists of a FT817 in a 2nd floor apartment. That antenna really didn't work.

However, I bit the bullet and bought the Joey with the tripod stand. Man, what a difference!

First off, I don't run any antenna tuners. Good thing, as this antenna will get under 1.5:1 SWR with the counterpoise EASILY, except for 80/75 meters.

I recently had my first experience with a contest, and on 15 meters was able to get many distant contacts. I'm sure my signal wasn't the strongest (5W), but the point is it got through. Quite well, in fact, that from Ohio I was able to get some contacts in Argentina and Italy! 5 watts! Inside of an apartment! True, I modded the stock microphone with a HC-4 Heil element, but truth be told, this antenna gets out.

Now, I have a speech compressor for the 817, and I can't wait for the next contest. If you have a 817, this antenna is HIGHLY recommended for portable and limited applications.

KC4EOE Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2002 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a Perth Plus with a Tri-mag mounted on the roof of my Toyota Mini-van. A Kenwood TS-140s resides at the other end of the mini-8 coax. I grounded the mag with two 6 guage wires off both sides down to the inside of the door frames. I get very good reports on 40 meters and have full bandwidth on the voice portion of the band. I experience a few loud whacks from tree branches occasionaly but the heavy duty spring saves my outbacker from any damage. It is one tough antenna. I also enjoy the looks I get from passers-by and the obvious jealous stares from the truckers on the interstate.