Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-596 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-596
Alinco DJ-596 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $219
Description: VHF/UHF TX/RX including cross-band split operation <br> 100 memory channels, any mix of VHF/UHF <br> <br> Alphanumeric channel labels, Direct frequency input from keypad <br> <br> Large backlit display and keypad, CTCSS, DCS encode+decode <br> <br> DTMF tones and autodial memories ,Tone bursts ,Three scan modes <br> <br> Theft Alarm feature, Wide and narrow FM TX/RX <br> 12VDC direct input (5w output) <br> <br> High-power NiMH battery (4.5w output VHF/4w UHF) <br> Busy Channel Lock Out, Mosquito Repelling feature (experimental),External Terminal Control <br> <br> Wire cloning capability, Optional digital mode (where permitted
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-596.

KD4EHL Rating: 3/5 Mar 28, 2003 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Good HT But Forget Digital  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is an okay radio. Lots of features. Feels good in the hand. Not the quality of previous Alinco HTs. Wish I had kept my DJG5. FORGET THE DIGITAL OPTION. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

KC2KEG Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2003 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first Alinco rig. In my opinion the 596T is a well made HT. It has BNC conector (durable, which is very important to me) and a great stock antenna for 440mhz.

As other hams stated, the antenna is not a good performer for 2m...I havn't been work on 2m yet, but I notice I can't hit repeater that I used to be on with my VX-5

If you TX a lot...consider buying a spare 1500mah battery, it's worth for money. The stock battery, which is 700mah, allows to talk approx. 1hr on 440.

I have constanly get great signal report on the repeater, even with the rubber duck!

If you are shopping for another (or new!) HT...this is the one to go!

WB1AEX Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2003 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very nice radio for the price. It does everything Alinco says it will. Nice audio on transmit and receive. The receiver section does very well on VHF and UHF, however, as others have pointed out, the supplied antenna is not a top performer. No problem using it to listen to police/fire/marine/EMS/GMRS/FRS/WX and whatever. The adjustable bandwidth feature (programmable for each memory) is great for listening to various services that have different requirements. Programmable tone squelch for each entered frequency is another nice feature. I have about 8 local 440mhz and 12 local 144mhz ham repeaters programmed in and about 40 public service frequencies setup as well. It's a nice radio to have around the house as well as for trips to other areas. The only feature that is missing for my needs is that when you are in search mode (VFO SCAN), there is no way to set band edge limits. It searches the entire extended range. It would be nice to be able to search a specific range, such as just a ham band, so you could find activity when you are visiting an unfamaliar area, but oddly this feature is missing. Other than that, this is a very nice value for the money. All the accessories for the DJ-296/196/496 models are compatible. It is a keeper for my pile of gear.

K7BEN Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2003 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Alinco DJ-596  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great all around 2m/70cm HT. The price is good for around $210. Most single banders cost close to that. As others have mentioned the antenna supplied with the radio(EA0098) is very sorry on 2 meters. I put the antenna supplied with the DJ-196 (EA0057) and got much better signal reports. Other than that the radio operates very well and is easily modified.

N9JLS Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2002 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice and affordable, but not without flaws.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First the bad news:

1) Adjusting the volume and squelch settings each require a keystroke (!) to tell the top knob which to adjust. Otherwise, the knob always adjusts channel or frequency only. Two hands are required just to change the volume! Booo.

2) No direct-channel access! Keys are for frequency entry only. Memories and freqs are changed via the top knob only. Not very handy with 100 memories.

The good news is that the radio is VERY well built, has decent (although trebly) audio, good sensitivity, lighted keypad, LARGE display and great S-meter (important to me), and is easy to operate once learned. You'll need a better dual-band antenna to get full performance from the radio. **NOTE**: The rubber ring around the BNC connector base that holds the mic connector cap in place is why people have trouble locking the BNC antenna connector. Simple removal of this ring will permit the antenna to be locked.

N3UPM Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2002 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As mentioned, the included antenna is not the greatest on VHF. If the antenna doesn't seem to "lock" on, the outer plastic shell will rotate freely, I guess to prevent the antenna from being twisted off. You just have to gently squeeze the base of it while locking the BNC connector. Otherwise, another great radio from Alinco.

W6CQD Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2002 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice radio. Well built with a nice feel. Alinco has provided a full list of accessories at an affordable price. The spare batteries are NIMH with prices below $40 for even the "big" capacity.

The 4 watt output is plenty strong for almost any application.

The only complaint that I would have is that the antenna supplied is poorly designed. As noted in other reviews it isn't the most effecient one available and you need to buy a better "duck" but the one that I received with the radio wont fit on the BNC (it won't lock on the connector). Since I rarely use a duck that short it was sent to the spare antenna drawer.

Overall, it performs well and isnt a battery eater.

I have and will continue to recommend it to others.

KS4UA Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2002 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a solid-built, dual-band HT that is very versatile and should last for years to come. If you need VHF and UHF capablities in one compact radio you can't go wrong with this one, especially for the price.

My ancient 2-meter rig died recently, and I was ready to settle for a new DJ-196T just to get some access again. Then I took a look a the DJ-596T and decided to spend the extra $70. Now I have both VHF/UHF HAM and greatly expanded FM monitoring. Since I am a race car fan, I will definitely enjoy having the ability to monitor UHF 2-way at the races. (That was also a selling point for me.)

KD4SAI's suggestion for a better antenna is right on, especially if you plan on doing MARS/CAP or a lot of out-of-band VHF listening. Also, if you are buying new one at a hamfest, check with the Alinco distributor if they are there. They have been giving away free two-year extended warranties for new Alincos bought at hamfests.

73 - KS4UA

LA1RA Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2002 06:46 Send this review to a friend
a few reservations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Oki...a few grumbles.
1).. keyboard lock...doesn't lock the power key, all to0 easy to accidently turn it off !

2).. Programming..Humm..ok you assign the frequency, offsett and the channel number. You then name the channel. So far so good, until you are in the wrong mode.then a quick turn of the knob ( VFO / Volume / etc) destroys all the programming. Seems too me that you should be able to lockout - protect the already programmed channels from " finger trouble"..

Otherwise it sounds good, picks up the repeater without problem. Battery lasts a reasonable amount of time, size is handy.

KC0ARF Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2002 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Beginners Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had great hopes for the radio, and if it weren't for 2 problems, I would still have it today.

The radio had good audio, and feels nice in the hand. The PTT responds nicely, the buttons light up when you choose the "lamp" option, and it remote-controlled my mobile radio just fine, indicating a good PL and DTMF level.

My first problem is that I do a lot of crossband operation. I will listen to a VHF repeater, let's say 146.94, and since I am at work, and need help reaching that repeater, I have my xband repeater in the car listening for me on UHF. Thus, I wish to listen on 146.94 and transmit on 446.125 The radio's VFO will store such a setup, but the settings are lost when you commit them to memory. I love my DJ-G5 for this reason!

The second problem is that I wanted to expirement with the Digital board that sells for $100 with the unit. The main manual makes no mention of how this board operates, and the leaflet that came with the board told me how to install it if I was Japanese. Thank goodness for Alinco's clean design... I could figure out the physical installation, but am lost on where to go from here.

As a strict 2m or 70cm HT, it is a nice unit. But if you want to run xband solutions, you will need to look elsewhere.