Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | HyGain DCU-1 for Ham IV/V and T2X Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain DCU-1 for Ham IV/V and T2X
HyGain DCU-1 for Ham IV/V and T2X Reviews: 10 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $619.95
Description: Digital rotor control box
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/products.php?prodid=DCU-1

You can write your own review of the HyGain DCU-1 for Ham IV/V and T2X.

N1API Rating: 2/5 Jul 29, 2016 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Poor Engineering Design!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this unit 4 years ago as part of a new Tailtwister Rotor System. Though the rotor itself is an excellent piece of equipment I am disappointed in the DCU-1 Controller.

The major problem with this lies in the choice of a Gas Plasma Tube for the display. After just about two years the display started to loose segments. I had it replaced.

Now just two years from that the same thing is happening. I am loosing segments on the display, First of all I contacted Hy-Gain and they did not reply to my query. I then contacted them again and finally they wrote saying that is "usually" bad solder joints and not the display itself. After explaining that they've already gone through it once for replacement of the display there should be no solder issues, they said that the replacement of the display is more than the purchase price of the DCU-2 with the LCD display.

I have gotten feedback from other DCU-1 owners who say they have the same problem. Looks like it's time that Hy-Gain designs a retrofit for this to replace the Gas Plasma with the LCD display.

I do not recommend this unit.

KB1NXE Rating: 2/5 Feb 2, 2012 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Not Worth the $$$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased one to replace the analog T2X controller I was using. I did not like the absence of directional feedback. I mean the DCU-1 only will 'jump' the readout to the chosen heading. It does not read the heading from the resistor. It assumes the heading you selected!

Since I use HRD and like the feedback of the current direction (and the warm/fuzzy feeling of seeing the heading change to the selected heading), I went back to my original controller.

I would not recommend upgrading to this controller. Use an analog controller with a add on card (like Idiom Press if they still are doing business) and be much happier.

K3PA Rating: 0/5 Jun 4, 2011 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Awful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unreliable, many display digits are out after a short time. Usual MFJ non-existant quality. (Yes, they are MFJ now)

KX7P Rating: 3/5 Dec 10, 2010 03:51 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just sorta ok. I agree with most of the negative comments listed on prior reviews so I won't repeat.

It's very expensive for what it actually does.

It's working ok, but nothing special at all. I'm using it because I paid for it, but I would not buy again or recommend. It has not broke so I gave it a 3.

HB9AZT Rating: 1/5 May 10, 2010 13:59 Send this review to a friend
poor design...  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is absolutely no reason to buy that rotator controller. RS-232-control is possible, but not even any feedback from the device to send the true azimuth of the rotator back to the control software. What a lousy product design! Buy any other rotator controller, add good serial interface like the ERC from schmidt-alba engineering and you will get what you really need for much less bucks! Asked for a firmware update for implementation of feedback, but nothing available.

XE1R Rating: 0/5 Feb 9, 2010 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
The control unit loose the calibration direction.

I changed the memory EPROM, and the failure repeat at any time.

Too much expensive.

The direction memory is very inacurate + - 15-20 Deg.

I will send to the JUNK parts.

K4KAL Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2006 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Good until it Breaks!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a Ham-IV for year with great success, and have frequently swapped the one on the tower with one that I had rebuild. Since my purchase of a SteppIR antenna, I wanted to interface it with my logging program as well as my rotor. I purchased a DCU-1, and the connectivity works great through a Serial Cable to my computer. Well the day finally came recently where my unit broke. The display worked, but the antenna would not turn.

I sent my unit back to the Manufacturer vs a third party thinking it would be fixed like new and to my amazement, when I got my DCU-1 back after about 6 weeks from Hygain in Mississippi, and paying a $300.00 bill, it did not work.

The only thing I can say is Jim Shurden at Hygain said he would follow up on this personally. I have a lot of faith with Jim, but there Tech needs personality training in dealing with customers.

If I had to do it again, I would not send it back to Hygain, I would find someone else to fix it.

K2BK Rating: 0/5 Apr 14, 2005 14:30 Send this review to a friend
nice looking, poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this to replace a rotor that was damaged in a wind storm. It looked really nice in the QST ad, but was poor from the start. With only two years of use, the digits are missing many sections and are impossible to read - MFJ says a few hundred bucks to replace the digital unit :(

I will get a Yeasu 2800 to replace this useless dog.

W9BDN Rating: 1/5 Feb 24, 2004 01:04 Send this review to a friend
Poor product  Time owned: more than 12 months
It bought a new DCU-1 and Tailtwister rotor 14 months ago. The DCU-1 presets are not very accurate. As much as 15 degrees off and no way to manually "jog it" to the desired setting. When using the decoder, it must be turned real slow or the readout jumps 10-30 degrees. The Tailtwister brake solenoid finally failed so the DCU-1 problems are now minor. Going to try a Yaesu G2800, I've heard good things about them.

W3UA Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2002 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Good idea, poor implementation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use Ham-IV with DCU-1 to rotate Force C-31. I don't like it at all. I have not so long run of control cable (about 200 feet), but to provide enough current for the brake I was forced to run 4 wires in parallel both ways. The power supply is weak, and when the antenna rotates, the display blinks. It never stops in the right direction, and usual error is 10 to 15 degrees.

There is no way to control the direction manually -- only by rotary encoder. The one works badly -- it skips, sometimes 15 degrees per click.

I am eager to replace it with a Prosistel rotator.

I do not recommend it.