Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten K1VR Help

Reviews Summary for Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten K1VR
Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten K1VR Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Everything you and your attorney need to know to obtain a permit for your antenna-support system.

Don't let the confusing tangle of ordinances and by-laws keep you from installing the antenna you need in order to communicate effectively! In recent years, many cities and towns have enacted ordinances designed mainly to regulate cellular antenna structures. Unfortunately, hams have sometimes been caught in the backlash of regulatory overkill. This book describes proven techniques and strategies that a ham and his or her attorney can use to obtain an antenna-structure permit (also includes material on Canadian law and regulation).

More info: http://www.antennazoning.com

You can write your own review of the Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten K1VR.

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
You need this book  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was planning my tower project, there were a lot of questions/issues regarding zoning, permitting, setbacks, ordinances, etc. Fred's book clearly illustrated how to plan and execute the permitting process. Like the other ham/reviewers here, I believe I would've had a difficult process obtaining my tower permit had I not read this book first. This really is a great investment. Today, my tower (antenna support structure - hihi) is up and I'm satisfied. Thank you very much Fred.

AE6Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Valuable Resource  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a terrific book, and Fred is to be congratulated! I'm a Volunteer Counsel myself, and a specialist in Land Use Law, but I learned a lot from it. In addition to copious legal analysis and citation, there is a wealth of practical information and examples, and the accompanying CD contains many useful source documents. This book should be consulted by anyone having antenna zoning problems.

W1LC Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2005 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Reference!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
From 2001-2004, I served as ARRL Handbook Chief Editor, including the big 2005 Handbook (82nd Edition) update (2002-2005 ARRL Handbooks). Early in 2001, when I first joined the League, I had the occasion to meet Fred Hopengarten (K1VR) when he visited ARRL Headquarters to wrap up work on the first printing of this then new book. I must say that at the time, I did not fully appreciate Fred's skills as both an attorney and an author. Fred has a unique (and at times, humorous) ability to present a complex legal subject in bite-sized pieces that the ham community can easily grasp. This wonderful publication will enable the radio amateur to successfully navigate the prevailing antenna/antenna-support-structure regulations and obtain that coveted Special Permit, Building Permit, or Zoning Variance, etc. This work is a great boon to our regulated service, because an antenna is EVERYTHING to this hobby! I also found some useful and related items on Fred's website (see the call sign K1VR listing on www.QRZ.com) that will also aid you as you prepare your application. Be sure to check Fred's own website for updates and related postings on this subject. But alas, the proof is in the results, and I just obtained my Special Permit here in heavily-regulated Massachusetts (Town of Spencer) for an 80-Foot Rohn 45G/55G tower, with one guy anchor less than 25 feet from a freshwater pond shoreline! In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, wetlands and waterfront are almost sacred to some citizens, legislators and regulatory board members. This book currently sells for between $40 and $50 new, and it is worth every penny--even at the high end of the scale! Consider the cost of being denied an antenna without the knowledge and proven methods for successfully making your case. To make things even easier for you, the author has included a CD-ROM with the book that offers many documents in both Word (.doc) and Adobe PDF format. These documents can then be moved into your own filing and used/modified as case-specific to help obtain your permit. How cool is that? Thanks to Fred Hopengarten (K1VR) and ARRL (publisher) for this great work!

Dana George Reed, W1LC