Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Set Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Set Plus
Heil Pro Set Plus Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: This is the NEW Heil Headset that features BOTH the HC5 Element AND the MC4 DX Element.... and it also features a Phase Reversal Switch!
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Set Plus.

K2CD Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2017 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Built to self-destruct   Time owned: more than 12 months
Decent audio reports using the HM-5 element. That's the only one I can select now since the switch is broken. The phase reversal switch has gone south, too. Biggest problem developed in the main wiring going into the left headphone. Something is either broken or shorting inside of the wiring cable. If the wire is held a certain way I get sound in both speakers. If not, I get no sound in either speaker. I opened it up and aside from really crappy soldering I could find nothing broken or shorted, so the problem is in the wire before it enters the headset. Have it sort of immobilized with zip ties as a quick fix, but it's not going to last. This problem developed after about a year of infrequent use. I don't abuse my stuff. It's just the nature of this thing. Had a standard Pro-Set with similar issues that was held together with hot glue and prayers, or make that swears. I should have learned. Fooled me twice, shame on me.

PA7TWO Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Good fit, very comfortable, superb TX and RX audio are key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a unit secondhand. Immediately I noticed the boom was pretty loose, would drop down automatically while using the headset.

Looked up the original usermanual on google, found a pdf and in Red text it is described how to tighten the ring (actually three screws) where the boom is attached onto. Problem resolved (at least for now that is).

Audio of the HC-5 element with my Yaesu FT5000MP is ab-fab. I tried the HC-4 element but audio volume level is too thin (not strong enough) and need to open the MIC gain quite a lot. This new MIC setting is not more compatible with the MD-200 or home made headset+mic. I keep it for now on the HC-5 elements and let the radio filter the TX audio spectrum instead. After some DSP tweaking, all sounds absolutely great in MONI function.

Was testing on air while tweaking the DSP settings of the Yeasu radio and got unsolicited audio reports on how good the setup sounded, golden!

Reading the previous reports I hope this unit will be in one piece and with me for a long time during my HAM experiments (mainly chasing DX).

KR4OJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2014 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Pro-Set plus for 10 years. Used it for DXing at home & carried it on DXpeditions to T30 & T33. Well satisfied. Especially like the dual mike elements & the audio phasing. Never had a problem.

WA7PRC Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Works Good, Lasts a Long Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine several years. While the "Full Range" microphone element is fine for ragchewing, I especially like the "DX" microphone element for DX and contest work. Its reduction of LF audio + emphasis of HF audio spectrum reduces waste of power in LF (that adds zero to intelligibility) and increases power in the sibilant HF audio sounds that are critical to intelligibility.

Also, the phase reversal switch on the earphones can sometimes make a received signal buried in the QRM/QRM stand out.

Without meaning to, I've also tested its durability. MANY times, I've hooked the LONG cord when leaving the operating position, unplugging and/or dragging the unit off the table. It STILL works!

N6KIA Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset Would buy again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Heil ProSet Plus for over 10 years. Still work perfect. The same as the day they were new. Still Use the Mc-60A from time to time but mostly the ProSet Plus headset. Always have received super audio reports whether ragchewing or working DX in contests. They are comfortable to wear and sound great on receive. Use the Hc-4 element for local ragchew and the Hc-5 for DXing. I'm kinda confused about the negative reviews given regarding this headset. As my summary stated I will purchase another ProSet Plus if ever the need be...but I doubt I will have to. Just treat them like you would treat your rig.

VE3MWA Rating: 3/5 Dec 1, 2013 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced for the quality offered  Time owned: more than 12 months
The headset appears to be well built and uses rugged materials particularly the cords. It does create some of that "built-to-last" impression when you hold it in your hands. HC-4 and HC-5 elements work fine but do not expect any magic out of them. On-air tests revealed hardly any difference between them and standard FT-950 stock microphone.

The speakers according to product specs are supposed to be 200 Ohm. I found them to be about 7 times lower in impedance and they do pick up tremendous amounts of background AF hiss that stays with you on all bands -- not good for long hours operation/contests. When you plug true high impedance phones (higher than 100 Ohm) -- problem solved, no hiss, great audio.

Phase switch works great. I liked this feature as it helps with reducing fatigue in long hours operation.

Overall this is an average headset that is designed and built to make impression of high-end, high-quality item, hence the price tag. Do your own research and ideally compare this headset in operation with other alternatives before parting with your money.

AA8VL Rating: 1/5 Jun 18, 2013 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a casual operator this might hold up a year. For me less than a month with mechanical and wiring failures. Built with Chinese toy like components and lasts about as long. I can't take this piece seriously. Audio was acceptable.

KH6KM Rating: 0/5 Jun 3, 2013 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Reminds me of a "Transformers" toy.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was always happy with my regular Pro Set until it broke into two pieces in my hands. Used a pair of crummy MFJ phones for a few years after that. They finally gave up and I decided to give Heil a try again. I purchased the Pro Set Plus from Giga Parts. I was disappointed with them right out of the box. The way they "automatically" fold up on their own every time you lay them down on the desk was very annoying and reminded me of my kid's transformers toy that seem to change into something entirely different than what it originally was! The kicker was, while these things seem to be able to change their shape into something different, the boom isn't able to swivel up out of the way if you just want to listen or are operating CW. The damned thing can't be moved out of your face even if you want a drink of water! The next problem encountered was RF feedback in the phones when I use a foot switch. Never had that problem before. Giga Parts graciously took this looser product back and traded me for a regular Pro Set. Nice, but I was out the difference in the price plus all the shipping. I am once again happy but how long will it take for them to break like the first pair? Something I've always wished Heil would do is offer a good quality "headset only" without the boom mic for CW operators like Radiosport does. It would sure be better than getting stuck with another piece of rubbish from MFJ...

73, KH6KM

N5RP Rating: 1/5 Jun 3, 2013 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Not happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
That second spring loaded headband, or whatever it is called, relies on two small plastic accordion like springs to maintain proper tension and dimension for the operator's head.
Mine broke rather early on, and I just used a piece of foam to solve the issue.
I just decided to order a couple this past week, only to discover that two of these penny value pieces of plastic cost $15.00 each.

W9ICU Rating: 1/5 Dec 2, 2012 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used Heil Headset for years. Time for new one got latest model with HC-6 element. Really sorry I bought it. I'm not a regular headset user and Have TT Jupiter and TS-850 can't get any drive on the TS-850 with it at all unless mic gain at 100%. The Jupiter will work but not like it should lacks drive also. So its laying in the box. Still using the old one.