Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Set Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Set Plus
Heil Pro Set Plus Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: This is the NEW Heil Headset that features BOTH the HC5 Element AND the MC4 DX Element.... and it also features a Phase Reversal Switch!
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Set Plus.

K7MHI Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2011 11:58 Send this review to a friend
awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I notice that its been a while since a review on this product, I just got one Dec2010 manufacture date. Just as some information this unit seems very well built with no issues of quality around the boom, I would say its too well built and hard to move the boom because its so solid now. I am a Sennheiser550 headphone user (off ear headphone) and this mimic's that fit to prevent ear squish etc. I am 6'3" and a big guy and my ears fit just fine. As for the audio the new ProSetPlus! (look for that !) includes a phase reversal switch, amazing I never knew about this trick for HF listening and makes it very "ear-gonomic" I can listen for hours with out stress on the brain!!

as for the mic and sound, I am not into (yet) the perfect sound or the booming AM brodcast signal so I cant review there but it works and works with no issues, I can flip from rag chew to DX with no problem.

I will update review later if needed, but just thought I would help clear up some things for the unit for people as most of the reviews here sound scary for older generation products

WX3B Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2008 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give Bob and his team high marks for this beefy headset. I enjoy having a choice of Mic elements, and the headsets holds up very well to the abusive environments of DX-Peditions and multi-operator contesting at my home.

The DX audio quality of the HC4 is unchallenged and my favorite, however I also enjoy being able to sound a bit more civilized at times by switching to the HC5.

The headset can be worn for very long periods of time without fatigue.

Keep up the great work!

Jim Nitzberg
WX3B

DF2DD Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2008 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Not too impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned a PSP for just 5 weeks and sold it today. The PSP was working OK but I am not too impressed by it.

Headphone is fitting very very tight and was close drawn to my ears (I am not Bugs Bunny, hi). Never found a suitable adjustment for me and alwaya felt uncomfortably while wearing this PSP. Modulation of HC4 and HC5 is OK but not the best you can get out of an electret mike. I am used to use a modified MD-100 by DG1OGW who is quite well-known in DL. These mike work much better than any HC4 and HC5 and are giving you much more punch than HEIL capsules.

Over all the PSP works good but not best.

4Z5NU Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2008 09:24 Send this review to a friend
My favor headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two of them. Constant use with IC-756PROIII. I`m 98% for SSB.In 3 plus years zero fails. The DX element is VERY usefull in DX contacts. Never regret for this purchase. Like the comfort and the audio quality. Also the "phase rev. option" help to relaxing when I`m in contest or just for long time listening.
Dov.

VK2FTNY Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Great for Dx  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive owned my set for over 12mths and in that time have put all my other headphones back in the cupboard.The recieve audio on these headphones is simply second to none.Very nice and smooth and quite comfortable for listening over extended periods.Build quality is also fantastic,Mic is fully reversable for left/right operation and are also fairly light and extremely comfortable despite its bulky appearance.Another point worth mentioning is that even when worn for extended periods the headphones do not seem to give that build up of air pressure to the ear,A point worth noting for other manufacturers of enclosed hifi headphones.Do not expect hifi transmit audio from the dual mic headset cause its not gunna happen,Typical heil as in being very clear and punchy audio.Just what you want to work the pileup.

N0UDR Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2007 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great Product! I bought mine with the HC5 mike element. I get good audio reports from everyone. I realy like the noise quieting. My shack is on South Mountain in Thule AB and it is an Air Forse Research Lab building and has equipment that produces a bit of white noise. The headset makes it easy to operate reducing the noise significantly. I also bought the adapter for my TS-480SAT. Others complained of the weight on the connectors to the radio. I had on hand an extension for the adapter. This eliminated stress on connector to the radio and allowed me to put the tranciever almost anyhere in the room. So I have not experienced problems with the weight and stress on the connector to the radio.

K3GI Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My son gave me the Pro-Set Plus for Xmas. I really like it. Having both the HC-4 and HC-5 elements is a real plus. Another plus is having the dual headset jacks as I use them for listening to music on my computer. I use it with a Kenwood TS-850S and consistently get compliments on my audio. Very comfortable, although I found the fit a little loose at first. I solved the problem by wearing a comfortable old baseball cap under the phones which really helps. These are also much sturdier than the original Pro-Set 4/5. You could drop these and not have to send them in for repair.

GM0ELP Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
My headset was one of several used during CQWW 2005 by the GM0B team. After the event several operators commented on the headset being more comfortable than the normal proset. The phase reversal switch also got a thumbs up report for ear relief during long operating periods. Mine worked fine straight out the box and I have taken care not to stress the connecting cable which is the weak point for any headset (avoid swivel chairs in the shack ;-)). I use the HC5 insert for a FT1000MP MkV and the HC4 insert for a FT107M and an Elecraft K2. I have had many unsolicited glowing audio reports and therefore am a very happy ham. The build quality and background sound deadening is superior to the pro-set. They cost a bit extra but in my opinion are worth every penny.

Doug
GM0ELP

KB0VVK Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2005 20:49 Send this review to a friend
adapter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am some what happy with my proset plus.
only problem after a time the weght of the foot peddle and the head set conection tend to pull down the wires by thr radio an short yhem out had to rap them tight near the radio with duck tape what I need is a plastic sleev that fits up there or Heil could make the adapter assery a lot lounger like five feet then no strain on the wires by the radio .
jon
kb0vvk

N0AH Rating: 3/5 Jul 3, 2005 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Mono headsets???  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Intersting list of complaints. My past Heil headsets have lost or deteriorated earpieces over time during my years of heavy contesting. Serious abuse and they have all held up well.

To bad the ear phone on my Pro Set Plus lost contact on one side. I don't enjoy mono-sound.

I rate this model very low because I spent very high. I also know from Hams on the air that I'm not alone.

I'm sure the wire that either broke or came loose might be of high quality. But why not make sure it is attached?

When it worked, I never experienced a finer headset. Too bad. I would send it in but with the shipping charges, the headache of proving warranty, and then waiting for it, I'll pass.

Roll the dice. If you get one that works, you can read the reviews that it works great. Just remember the other side of the fence-