Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-224 Tri-band Vertical 2m/220/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-224 Tri-band Vertical 2m/220/440
Comet SBB-224 Tri-band Vertical 2m/220/440 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: Mobile vertical antenna for 2m, 220MHz, 440 MHz 100 Watt
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-224 Tri-band Vertical 2m/220/440.

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 20:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm useing it on a mag mount in apartment running my Wouxun 2m/220 and for running my ADI ar-247 in the truck works great! When on the truck its on the comet rs720 nno

KC0IVL Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for 220 Mhz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the SBB-224 back in 2005 for the 220-Band as I have a Comet CA-2x4SR for my 2M/440 Radio. Another web site suggested that I go with a Larsen Mono band antenna for 220 instead. I hooked up the brand new Larsen and noticed my receive dropped a whole S-Unit from the SSB-224 even though it has been in use for four years. I then tuned the Larsen down to a perfect 1.1 match and still didn't receive or transmit as well as the Comet, even though the SWR on the Comet was a bit higher (1.5). I will be sticking with the SBB-224 for 220 Mhz from now on.

KB3CS Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2008 20:49 Send this review to a friend
excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the antenna is pre-tuned and needs no removal of paint or surface finish - despite previous reviewers comment.
Surprising to me was how very low the SWR is across all three bands. The SWR meter didn't deflect at all until I was well outside the Ham bands!
This antenna is quite serviceable in the 150 MHz and 460 MHz business bands, too.
Good choice for use with a Yaesu VX-6 triband HT.

K6JMG Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2008 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a multi-band antenna this is an excellent little unit. The nicest thing I feel I can say about anything is that is works as expected.

One other thing that raised Comet to the top of my list, or at least NCG who is their US distributor, is customer service integrity. I do not leave the antenna on its base; I normally keep it in the back of the car. It was rattling back there so I decided to rearrange it. When I took it out I discovered the the center load on it was cracked in half. I assumed I had allowed something to slide into it and broke it. I called NCG and told them what had happened and that I didn't feel like it was a warranty issue. The fellow at NCG said he thought it WAS a warranty issue and he was sending me a new load...there is some integrity left in the world!!

Jim

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2006 12:16 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a tri-band antenna, this one works very well. However, there is one problem that exists with all of them ... that must be corrected. The ends of the whips (at points of connection) are always totally powder coated. You must scrape off the powder coating! Performance will go through the roof and SWR will become nearly perfect (if not perfect).

It should be understood that a mono-band antenna will certainly do a little better. But I give it a 5 rating in the tri-band antenna category.

VA3TO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2006 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Compact yet effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using my SBB-224 triband antenna for 6 years on a trunk lip mount (ground re-inforced) with my Kenwood TM-741a triband FM mobile radio. Never had a problem like I did with my Diamond and Comet 50/146/440 triband antennas which both exhibited similar problems after about 3 years of use (sudden poor performance although the SWR showed to be okay !?).
The SBB-224 offers reasonable gain considering its short size and the low profile allows me to pull in and out of my garage without having to get out of the car to remove/install it !

KG7ZC Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2003 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Worked great for 8 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had one for over 8 years. Worked as good on all 3 bands as a 5/8th mono band ant. Going to buy another. The last one was just stolen.

N1RHS Rating: 0/5 Apr 26, 2002 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Serious reliability problems. I had to return one about 6 months after purchase at Dayton for high SWR on every band. I thought it was bad luck since a buddy with the same antenna was running ok. Well, over a year later my replacement from the factory has failed in the same way, and my buddy's is now just as bad. It might have even blown his finals. Tore into the antenna base and found a shorted capacitor. Not impressed. Looking at the Diamond this year at Dayton for sure.