Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HyGain V2-R Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain V2-R
HyGain V2-R Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: 3 dBd gain 9 foot base vertical for 144-148 MHz
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=V-2R

You can write your own review of the HyGain V2-R.

KG4FMQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna was easy to build from box to mast. It was also very easy to tune. This antenna works very well, and I have had it installed at my location for almost 4 years. It has held up to all the Oklahoma weather that has been thrown at it.
It has served is purpose, and I still have it in service.

73's
KG4FMQ

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 13:46 Send this review to a friend
I liked it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these (the V-2S actually)for about 3 years. It seemed to perform as well as much larger antennas, perhaps because the radiation pattern is very low, as it decouples from the feedline perfectly. Antennas that don't decouple the feedline very well will show an elevated pattern.
It blew the doors off an Isopole, about the same size. I sold it when I was moving, and I regret it.

KA1HSP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2010 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for packet project  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a Hy-Gain V-2R collinear and modified for use at a remote packet station. Swapped in a single 7/8" top section instead of telescoping sections, longer 8' double walled lower section, and custom mount for this setting. I like the simple center fed 2 element (3dbd) design with the decoupling elements to effectively make the RF think it has reached the end of lower section. Very sturdy for an amateur grade antenna but light enough for simple support structure, and the price is right, nothing to break or rattle apart, 2 current lobes, omnidirctional, DC ground. Perfect for a "non-extreme" evironment.

Final installation photo:

3 pages of project photos can be seen at:

Tested at home prior to modifying, all went together fine, good quality components, as advertised.

73's ... Joe
KA1HSP

K4JC Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2008 21:30 Send this review to a friend
A fine performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My antenna is the 220MHz version. It is a genuine Hy-Gain V-3S, circa 1987. I found it NOS on the clearance rack at a ham radio dealer. These antennas were originally introduced during the "Novice Enhancement" days of the late '80s.

The instruction sheet was clear, assembly was not at all complicated and took about a half hour. SWR is virtually flat from 222-225 MHz, and although the operating I've done on this band has been limited I've been very pleased with the antenna's performance.

I'm not certain whether the newer MFJ version of the V-2R or V-3R would compare, but mine is definitely top notch!

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2007 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent all the way around  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have never even seen one of these antennas until about a year ago my father bought one at a hamfest still in the original box. I wound up with it later on, and the first thing I noticed was how sturdy it was built. All hardware (I believe except for the U bolts) is stainless steel. The radials are thick tubing, the coil is solid and strong. The connector is inside the tubing (waterproof). The pattern is supposedly clean because of the decoupling method. All in all, it performs about the same as an IsoPole, Hustler G6-144. I am using one on a repeater right now and am very happy with the results. I see they now make 220, 440, 6 Meters, and a dual band 2M/440. If the dual band works as well as the 2M, I'll buy one, too.
73, N4DBM

PA3MET Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2006 04:11 Send this review to a friend
good antenna, quick response for parts  Time owned: months
I now have this antenna for over 10 years. It's the original antenna. Last year I resurrected this antenna and found out the radials were missing. I tried the dutch HY-Gain people but their website is inaccessible if you don't use IE so I decided to go for the original site. I called the people, told what i needed, gave credit card and in 3 days time, I had the stuff sent over from the USA.

The antenna performs well and the previous story about the incorectly assembled antenna: I only can say that the assembly is in your own hands so if the connector wasn'';t tuned completely in, I assume it's not Hy-gain's fault.

I also have the 70cm version as long as the 2m version and perform very well.

W6PMR3 Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2004 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Well Built !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these for some time now and have found them to be very well built and designed for the long run. I have even used it as a standby repeater antenna that lasted three years under very harsh mountain top service. When I pulled it down from the hill it was still in fine shape. I then donated it to a new Ham and he still has it on his roof after seven years !
No, it will not out perform my G7 but it does appear to keep up with just about anything in it's price class.
I noticed that MFJ now owns Hy-Gain and is selling this antenna with a list price of $99.

VE3YES Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2002 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Well made base VHF antenna.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one installed for ten years at my previous residence and it required no maintenance during that time. I still have it and should I decide to re-install, I'm certain I won't need to do any work to get it going again. The performance of the antenna is okay. Don't expect to punch an S9+60 signal at the horizon and you won't be disappointed.

AC5AA Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 1999 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Awkward looking, but works great  Time owned: unknown months
I used a V2-R for several years mounted at about 30' elevation. Mechanically it is very solid, and it has outperformed other 2m Omni antennas I've used in the same position. When my current one comes down, a new V2-R will go up in its place, if it's still available.