Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | EMTRON DX2sp Help

Reviews Summary for EMTRON DX2sp
EMTRON DX2sp Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $4,181
Description: The very special DX-2SP H.F. amplifier stands on its own and has no competition. Produced for the military, the SVETLANA GU-84B tube, with plate dissipation of 2500 watts, when installed in the new EMTRON DX-2SP produces a solid 2000 watts continuous RF output (2500 watts PEP). The tube and a very special high voltage, high current band switch, as well as a 4KVA mains transformer, Distinguishes the DX-2SP model from the DX-2 unit. MSRP does Not include Shipping from Australia which currently runs US$195.00 to nearest airport Or US$289.00 to your door. Optional QSK module (factory installed): US$100.00
More info: http://www.emtron.com.au/DX2SP.html

You can write your own review of the EMTRON DX2sp.

VK3PA Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2005 20:46 Send this review to a friend
DX-2sp Great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
DX-2sp now over 12 months and still de best amp I have ever owned,(sb220,sb200,fl2100b,MLA2500,h/b 4-1000) use mainly 80/75m ssb/cw..now up to 220 DXCC comfirmed/262 wked in 3 years.. speaks for its self tu Rudy

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2005 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Check it Out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was one of those people that didn't even know this company existed until a friend came across this amp. I bought mine used, and although it is not very old, I am pretty sure that this unit was well-tested by the previous owner. That's okay - the price was right.

I think the metering is great because you can see all parameters at once. Some amps that are less sophisticated make you switch between functions and that just means extra tune-up time.

That said, I am not crazy about LEDs, in spite of their cool-factor, because the resolution is not great. I am not knocking this amp, though, because LEDs are the only way to display all of this info at a reasonable price with high reliability.

The step-start circuit works great, and the amp is built with LOTS of overhead in the key areas:

1) it loafs along at full legal power with about 30w drive. It will easily do 2500W into a dummy load.

2) it has cooling power to spare, if you have one of the more recent ones with a muffin fan on top. All that cooling comes at a price, though - this is not a whisper-quiet amp, like the L-7 I used to have was. I replaced that with the IC-PW1 and that is sort of loud, I thought, until I got the Emtron. In any case, fans make noise, and you need fans, so just wear headphones and forget about it. (And keep your mike gain down while you're at it.)

3) there is a lot of circuitry to babysit you and make sure that no matter what you do, you won't blow up the amp. I would be hard-pressed to think of a way to destroy this thing other than to have it slightly mis-tuned and run it that way every day for 20 years. And even then you will probably just have to spring for a new tube, which is quite inexpensive. I have seen new ones for 150 bucks.

Geography is an issue for purchasers of an Emtron unit, and hopefully they can get some U.S. distribution. That said, I have had a question or two and Rudi was quick with an answer.

IK3ERN Rating: 0/5 Feb 1, 2005 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Warranty and assistance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two years ago on counsel of a amateur radio friend has acquired an Emtron amplifier
DX-2sp by internet from Emona Electronic.
Once open the package has noticed the handle grip " Load " are broken . In any manner
it I have systematized.
I have written and phoned to Rudy but the handle grip in substitution has not ever
arrived.
A five months ago the grid of the tube GU 54b has gone in loss.
Sincerely I have always worked at 70 % of the potentiality of the tube and not for many
weekly hours.
I have asked to Rudy where it was the center assistance in europa or Italy, no precise
answer an only email with a reference in Slovenia country, has asked him explanations
by email like substitute the tube....... no answer !!!!!!!!.
I in these last six months have done a many ..ten of fax and of email .
For answare have receiver two email , with nothing specific explanations .
I have known Italians amateur radio that have had the same treatment .
He is not proper and correct this behavior.

73 de IK3ERN Mauro Zanco

W4VOL Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2004 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Emtron DX2sp is a superb amplifier. Absolutely no distortion at full output. Key down 1500W out continuous. Excellent craftsmanship in every respect. When I call CQ I always get an answer, even though antenna is a random wire only up about 20 feet in the trees. (N4XM XMatch Antenna Tuner) Excellent customer service from Rudi et al. Shipped on time when promised. Arrived in perfect condition. I have a Bose Wave Radio sitting on top of the amp and there is no interference to the Bose Wave Radio on any frequency even at full output from the Emtron. No intereference to 500-watt per channel stereo upstairs either. One setting of Tune and Load is all that is needed for any band. No RFI or TVI whatsoever with this amp, as contrasted to another amp I had with the number 1500 in it! This amp runs cool and quiet and is solid as a rock. I highly recommend Rudi and Emtron. I definitely would do business with them again.

KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2004 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice quality construction. Makes A LOT of power with very little drive. Runs very quite. Easy to tune. The manual is very well written.

Mark - KB4QLZ
www.kb4qlz.com

AB4RY Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2003 00:00 Send this review to a friend
Cooler heads prevail  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was disapointed in my dx-2sp arriving damaged and the frustrations of waiting two months for a new cabinet and face plate.

However, the service from Emtron North America ie. Vince was excellent5++. I have always rated the amp a 5. After running it for nearly 5 months I would rate it a 5+++. It reallly is an excellent amp that is simple to operate , clean , and excellently designed and constructed by Rudi .

VK6AV Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2003 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Killer amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very solid high power amp. Think of it as an M1A2 tank or a Landcruiser®. It has great QSK when mated with a FT-1000MP. For VK users, 7.5-8 watts drive will give 400 out as measured on a Bird 43 wattmeter. More drive will give 1500 watts out, I have got about 2000 out into a dummy load.
The amp is heavy and Rudy is now shipping the transformer in a separate wooden box. This should solve the shipping problems reported in the past. My experience with after sales service has been good. Rudy is running a small business where items like front panels and covers are sub-contracted out. When he orders them he does so in a batch depending on orders. This is not like McDonalds where you get your meal in 30 seconds. For a piece of precision engineering I am willing to wait a bit.
The DX2sp has evolved from the first models. The first model is shown on the website, it has cooling slots over the tube. This approach led to overheating as the tube requires substantial air flow to keep cool. The current model has a full hole in the cabinet with a standard muffin fan style grill. This version runs cool and the auxiliary muffin fan (included) is not needed unless you are running RTTY or similar at 1500 watts output. It is now in a DX3 size cabinet.

KB2PIE Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2003 23:23 Send this review to a friend
the best amplifier I ever had...!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I solved my biggers problem and that is my neighbors. Since I have this amplifier they stop knoking my door. I can use it all day long and I have no problems with anyone. This is one of the best things that happens to me. Now I do not have to move from here. This amplifier is very quiet and very good QSK. I do not have to tune it I just have to look at the factory running chart and it works perfect.It is perfect desinged, quality materials and it works like a commercial amplifier. It is worth every cent I spent. I just want to thanks Rudy for his excelent work.
Turan 73,s

9K2KS Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2003 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Solid & powerful  Time owned: more than 12 months
WORTH EVERY CENT AND THE AFTER SELL SERVICE IS JUST EXCELLENT.
73's
9K2KS

W5UDX Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2003 14:17 Send this review to a friend
The Kangroo Amp "WOMBAT" or Alpha eater  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What an amp, is all I can really say about the dx-2sp. It is the fist new amp I have ever bought and what a great choice. 25 watts in gives me legal all day long on every band. It loafs at 1500 with the gu-84b/4cx2500 tube. The head room is heavenly. Ya gotta get one.