Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Azden PCS-5000 Help

Reviews Summary for Azden PCS-5000
Azden PCS-5000 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: 2m FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.azden.co.jp/

You can write your own review of the Azden PCS-5000.

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2007 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Good signals. Hard to operate.  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is no question but that the Azden PCS-5000 is a fine radio as far as quality is concerned. But it is also true that Azdens are nightmares to operate. When there is a need to change one of the functions of the radio, much microprocessor mumbo-jumbo will definitely be required. I prefer simple straightforward tuning knobs to correographed push-button finger dances just to change frequencies. If the radio was easier to operate, i would have given it a 5.

W8TOL Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2006 00:02 Send this review to a friend
OLDIE BUT TRUSTY !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine still works flawlessly,but because it is so old,I would like to tune it up! Unfortunatly I don't have any schematics or service manual available. SO I NEED YOUR HELP,AND IF YOU HAVE IT, PLEASE DROP ME A EMAIL: zoltan35@sbcglobal.net Appreciated: W8TOL

W8TOL Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2006 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Don't lose manual, maybe hard on "PL" programming.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'had it for quite a while,and still works flawlessly.Clicking and ticking like a Rolex, built like a hammer! No wonder Azden went commercial, out of AM.RADIO bussiness,'cause they can still build quality beside the quantity! The best I'like about thay radios is the Superior Quality Of AUDIO! I'll highly recommend to pick one up at the Hamfest,they are go for about $25 box. Get it while You can, because they less Forever!!! Amen/73 W8TOL.

N5EAT Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2005 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my very first mobile 2 meter rig. Once I got on the air back in '86, I heard horror stories of previous versions of this RIG (pcs-4000,3000, etc). However, as with previous posters, this rig is really well built, had great audio and seems almost bullet proof. It IS kind of a nightmare to program, but I've never had a better 2 meter rig than this. I had it in my car for 3 or 4 years, and then ran packet on it for many years. I still have the manual somewhere. I need to program some tones in it as most of the repeaters programmed in it are still around, they just require tone access now. One other plus - it has a very long mic cord.

N6NCT Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2005 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my PCS-5000 as first mobile rig in 1984 (California) used as base with home brew 1/4 dipole in house. Then purchased Kenwood D700 in 1990's when first came out for APRS/ Packet (Texas). Stashing that old "junk" PCS-5000 antiquated rig in an electronics discard box. Relocated to Kauai, HI last month and discovered my D700 missing. Dug out old PCS-5000, plugged it in to my power supply and J pole antenna hanging from ceiling, turned it on and it worked! Memory was gone as internal battery dead. But, could easily program memories including offset by trial and error. But, turning off radio results in lost memory. This radio rocks! It is small, simple, rugged and easy to use. Only bad part is microphone connector is on back of radio on coax and internal battery hard to change. Otherwise, I'm thinking mighty hard about NOT replacing my D700 due to absence of APRS here on Kauai. If you can find a working rig for under $100, I would buy it after testing. Great back up and possibly appropriate for emergency comm base station where greater than 25 watts out not indicated.

WA0RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2004 01:46 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 Meter Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio since 1988. I put it in storage in 1990 and got it out July 2004. It still works like it was new.

The radio is easy to use. I find no difficulty in entering frequencies either directly or into the memory banks. I find it easier than today's embedded menus. The low setting of 5 watts works great in town and the hi setting, 25 watts has always been sufficient.

It doesn't have all the features of modern rigs, but for a basic get you on the air radio for a new ham or as a back-up rig, it still gets the job done.

It does use a lithium battery for the memory back-up. The manual recommends that it be changed every 5 years. I have not changed mine since 1988 and it is still good. I should and will change it soon, though.

If you come across one in good condition, I would recommend it. Can be had today for a very reasonable price.

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2003 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Performance is VERY good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an Azden 5000 for well over 10 years. It was sent back to the distributor in NYC one time for warranty and it was fixed promptly and perfectly. Since then it has functioned flawlessly and has provided EXCELLENT service. Therefore why did i rate it 4 instead of 5? Because this radio is a FREAKING NIGHTMARE to operate!! You have to go to the manual everytime you want to change frequencies. Programming the memory bank is a veritable excercise in frustration and all the microprocessor mumbo-jumbo is a counter-intuitive pain in the neck. Were it NOT for the ridiculously stupid finger dancing shenanigans necessary to program the radio, i would have rated it a definite decisive 5 (maybe even a 6!).