Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP Help

Reviews Summary for JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP
JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $375.00
Description: Dual DSP Noise & Interference Reduction
More info: http://www.jps.com/pinfo/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP.

WQ6X Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 21:17 Send this review to a friend
The NIR is hands-down the best external DSP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago I bought my NIR-12 for $150 from its original owner - W6SW. I originally used it with a Kenwood TS-50 which had no CW filters. On SSB, the notch filter was heaven sent; especially on 40-M SSB in the evening. When I switched to an ICOM-7000, the internal IF DSP was nice, but the Noise Reduction (NR) seemed marginal to me. The NIR-12 solved that problem considerably; especially when I front-ended it with an MFJ 752-C to shape the audio first.
Now I have a Yaesu FT-1000mp with an excellent eDSP, but like the 7000 the Noise Reduction is weak. The MFJ 752-C + NIR-12 together make all the difference.
Because of its heft design, I would call the NIR-12 the boat anchor of DSP's.
It is literally a SOLID performer.

Ron
WQ6X

As said in earlier reviews, using QSK requires a a bypass cable tied into the PTT, which is no problem.
Having used the Timewave DSP and the MFJ DSP units in the past, I consider the NIR-12 far more intuitive and easier to use.

NZ8I Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2016 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Great DSP with additional filters  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this unit used from a ham on QRZ.com
Paid $150.00 including shipping. Pricey for this unit but I love it. Even after 20 years it is still a great DSP for ssb,cw and now digital modes. I use it with my Alinco DX sr8 t as the rig has no onboard DSP unit. I mean it brings the Alinco right up to equal reception capability with my Icom 7200 which has amazing onboard IF DSP.
If you can find one for under $100.00 used; that would be a steal.
NZ8I

KG4GPJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 17, 2012 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Better than ICOM AF DSP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my IC-7200 went to SAR Technical Services (ICOM Service Center - MI) for a MARS mod, I had to my IC-706s as my primary HF rigs. My IC-706MKII has the ICOM AF DSP module installed, but I was not satisfied with its performance during periods of high QRN and QRM. My "original" IC-706 does not have (and cannot accept) the ICOM AF DSP module, so I dusted off this NIB JPS NIR-12 that I bought at a ham auction 10 years ago for $50.00. Darned if it doesn't out-perform the ICOM AF DSP module in the 706MKII. It has a good notch filter (easily takes out those "tuner-uppers") and the noise reduction and dynamic peak controls will help tame those static crashes. Mind you, it's not as effective as the IF DSP in my 7200, but much better than the ICOM AF DSP (which, of course, is better than nothing). I'm pleasantly surprised.

HAMDUDE Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 19:08 Send this review to a friend
worth every dollar  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
was using a jps nir-10 which i liked, saw this jps nir-12 at a tailgate for $100.00 with manual and power supply. best purchae i have made for ham related gear in year's. the nir-10 is very good on cw, avg on ssb, well, that really changed with the nir-12, cw is still very good, but ssb use is greatly improved on the nir-12, work's better than the dsp nr on most newer radio's, if you see one, you better get it, getting hard to find, because once you get it right, you're good...

W5VIN Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2009 18:48 Send this review to a friend
JPS NIR-12  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 own these DSP units and have been very pleased with them. It has much better DSP action than the W9GR or the Timewave DSP 9 and 59+ units. I would highly recommend this unit in spite of their age. It works much better than the OEM DNR in my Yaesu FT-2000 even after the highly touted PEP firmware upgrade.
Charlie W5VIN

NS0W Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2009 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Below par for SSB use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My only experience with outboard DSP filters has been with the Amcom Clearspeech - I am extremely happy with it. I recently needed a second unit and started looking at reviews here on eham. Noticing the good reviews that the NIR-12 got and the multiple controls available to tailor it compared to the Clearspeech that has no controls, made me think that this must be good. I also read the QST reviews from July 1996 and the user manual. I have to stress at this point that I use my filters to reduce noise on SSB - so all these comments are applicable to SSB only. If you use other modes your experience might be totally different. Anyway I quickly found out that the unit was virtually useless to me in a situation where you might be listening to a net or contest. You could actually get it to perform somewhat like the ClearSpeech if you had just one signal to deal with - but with multiple signals, one person would sound good and you have adjust the unit when the next station shows up with a different signal level. If you crank the NR up where it really starts to work, it starts to pump. I got myself a second ClearSpeech (now from West Mountain radio since AmCom is out of business) and I am very happy once again.

The JPS unit is built like a tank (which is why I gave it a 3 instead of a 2) and nicely finished and seems to well planned (user interface for experimentation) but the performance for noise reduction on SSB is poor compared to the ClearSpeech.

Also note that the audio delay is significantly longer compared to the delay on the ClearSpeech - but that is just a comment that is neither positive or negative.

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2007 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having a great dissapointment with the timewave 599 DSP I wanted to take a shot at this one. I had read many people stating it really helped in SSB, much more than the 599, and it was all true.
This is what I was looking for. A DSP that helps get modulation out of a lot of noise, make me understand the other person, and keeps a good, not robotic voice.
This DSP is as good as everyone says, if not better. I would recomend ANYONE to buy one, if you can find one, at any given price, it is worth every penny.
Construction..... MUCH MUCH better than the Timewave, looks and feels solid.
It is hard to find in the used market, NOW I KNOW WHY. A keeper.

W6EIJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2003 13:44 Send this review to a friend
More useful on SSB than my 599zx.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a used NIR-12. I have been using a Timewave 599zx with the newest firmware, which I bought new a year and a half ago. I liked the performance of the 599 on CW and the control panel and LCD screen, but on SSB it was not very effective - so I was still looking (I have a slight hearing loss, and the background noise really hurts understandability). In fact, I was actually quite disappointed with the SSB performance (although oddly, sometimes, on certain signals, it does help - about 30% of the time). I am not an engineer or technician, but simply a ham operator with no interest in either company. Of course, these are my opinions, based upon owning and using both units - other people may come to different conclusions.

I could not believe the performance of the NIR-12 -it is terrific! When I push the DYN PEAK button the background noise completely disappears - I mean completely - THIS is what I had hoped DSP would do. Although the sound quality is like a cell phone (so don't bother with a Sweet Sounds speaker), it is much improved over the background noise on 17 meters that comes up from time-to-time. I use these DSP units with a Mark V, Drake R4-C and a Ten-Tec 509 (the Timewave has dual inputs). Interestingly, I feel that even the 599 is more effective than the built-in DSP functions of my Mark V. So let me give my opinion about the NIR-12 with some comparisons to the 599.

First, in my opinion, the comparison on the Timewave web site is meaningless (maybe that is why they call it “apples and oranges.”) For example, the MIPS of NIR-12 is only 10, compared to the 599's whopping 36.8. Yet the SSB performance (where one would expect more instructions per second would help) of the 599 is not very good compared to the NIR-12. Timewave also says that the “case construction” of the NIR-12 is “bent sheet metal.” In fact, it is steel, that is almost 1/8" thick - a very substantial case. Under “DATA” Timewave boasts that the 599 has 16 data filters, while the NIR-12 has none - this can only mean no “pre-programmed” filters, because the NIR-12's front panel is clearly marked for DATA, and it worked quite well. This kind of stuff really turns me off - Timewave should not be expected to champion JPS equipment, but the impression I got from the Timewave website, was that the NIR-12 was a cheaply made unit - simply not the case. In fact, the knobs and push-buttons on the NIR-12 have a much more solid feel than the 599.

The NIR-12, as I said will completely take away background noise - that is what I wanted. In fact, in all modes, I think it is much more effective than the 599zx. It is much easier to adjust the aggressiveness of the DSP filter - just turn a knob. With the 599, you have to push two buttons to get into a menu, then adjust the aggressiveness. On CW, you can open up the bandwidth very easily, on the 599, if you can, it would be by creating a user-created filter and saving that to memory. On the 599, I find myself going from CW, back to voice to get a wider bandwidth for scanning the band. So in general, I feel that in use, the NIR-12 is simpler to use.

With these two outboard DSP units, one must adjust the volume control of your rig so that the DSP unit does not overload and distort; not to low so it won’t process, but not too high either. I found that my NIR-12 unit has a much broader range, i.e., I don’t have to adjust the volume (AF gain) control as often - in fact, that was one of the first things I noticed.

What is an inconvenience, is the aggressiveness of the DYN PEAK is a three position switch on the back, although I can now easily do the switch. Another inconvenience is that the headphones must be unplugged to listen through the speaker - there should have been a switch (on the 599, one can have both headphones and speaker, or select either one by front-panel switch - very convenient). There is no front panel switch to bypass the DSP unit without turning it off, like the 599. All in all, I think the NIR-12 outperforms the 599 quite easily. Big negative though, is that they are no longer made, although as I discovered, they do come up on the market (I paid $ 150.00).

Other pluses with the NIR-12 are that it can be used to process transmit audio, and there is direct access (albeit, inside the case) to the DSP unit through a RS-232 port, where one can design and test other DSP algorithms.

The 599, has a very nice interface (front panel), with an LCD screen. I am only going to discuss my impression of its performance relative to the NIR-12, not a full blown discussion of the 599 itself (because it is so versatile, one must read the well-written manual). The downside is that one must go into menus. Part of the reason, is that it does much more than the NIR-12 - in addition to all modes, it has pre-programmed filters for all modes, it has special CW features (binaural CW - sort of “panning” the signals, and “CW spotlight” highlights weak signals). It can also be used with digital modes and RTTY, like a RigBlaster-type unit, but with DSP.

Finally, it has a morse code oscillator, and test instrument functions - audio milli-voltmeter, sine wave generator, and much more - it is a Swiss army knife of DSP stuff. The multiple use also makes the control names somewhat counterintuitive - the notch filter is accessed by pushing the “Tone” control.

The best thing about the 599, I think, is the AGC - this is really effective, and does quite a bit for my 509, will add about 15 db of gain to low signals. It has two channels, and can share one speaker with two rigs - so it can streamline your equipment profile. It has DIN plugs and an RS-232 connector on the back panel (which is inside the case on the NIR-12).

On CW it works great - very effective, and on SSB, I did not find it that useful, sort of watery sounding - the NIR-12 is much better to my ears. It has separate tunable high and low pass filters - the NIR-12 has one knob continuously variable from 300 to 3400 hz. It has multiple tunable notch filters - the NIR-12 has one - either on or off (but it is very effective).

Am I going to dump the 599? Absolutely not. I may use the internal RTTY modem, or its PSK-31 features. It is slightly more versatile on CW, and it has those test equipment functions. But bottom line, when all I want is very effective, straightforward DSP, the NIR-12 is my first choice, and only choice when I specifically want voice operation. Also, for Field Day, the NIR-12 has a much quicker learning curve - I was operating it within a few minutes.

W4LGH Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2003 11:13 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The JPS NIR-12 is the best DSP I have ever used, hands down, bar none. It goes way past any DSP built into any radio I have played with including my FT-847. I went thru many different models and brands before ending up with the NIR-12. It is worth EVERY PENNY you have to pay for it, if you can find one. A good 2nd choice is the NIR-10.
You can see on my website that the NIR-12 is still being used with my FT-847, and probably will be used with any new radio that come into my shack! http://www.w4lgh

K3YD Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2003 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great help  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased one of these to help an IC-735, and TS-930, deal with AM carriers on 40 meters and to dig weak CW signals out of the noise on 40 & 80.
It did all this very well. Like most DSP, outboard and internal, there is a bit of a learning curve, but the effort is worth it.
The unit is more helpful for DXing than for contesting because of the time necessary to extract weak signals from the noise.
Unfortunately a fall thunderstorm a couple years ago laid waste to much of my shack--including the NIR-12, and I no longer have it.