Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP Help

Reviews Summary for JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP
JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $375.00
Description: Dual DSP Noise & Interference Reduction
More info: http://www.jps.com/pinfo/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the JPS NIR-12 Dual DSP.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2000 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Very effective and easy to use.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use my JPS NIR-12 with an Icom IC-735 and also an NCG 7/21/50. Neither of these rigs have a narrow SSB filter, and the NIR-12 makes up for this shortcoming admirably. The Dynamic Peak feature is great for eliminating atmospheric noise, and can really help pull the weak ones out. The notch filter also works well. All in all, I am very satisfied.

WA0UDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 1999 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Very effective unit  Time owned: unknown months
I use the NIR-12 with my older Kenwood TS-940, and they make a very good pair. The NIR-12 makes the TS940 more on par with the newer DSP rigs. I am mainly a CW operator, and I find it very useful and worth the money. I bought it used for $175, but I would say it's worth the full retail price, if that's what you have to pay. You will find that you don't have to strain to tell if it is helping or not.

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 1999 14:23 Send this review to a friend
The best DSP implementation  Time owned: unknown months
I have owned or evaluated a number of DSP units including the Timewave models, JPS, and W9GR families. I have found the NIR-12 to be the best single unit to cover many different noise types within the limitations of any audio DSP unit. In head-to-head measurement, the only other DSP which came close was the Timewave DSP-599ZX, and we had not even engaged the NIR function on the NIR-12 yet. This design has two processors, one which attacks in what I call the "frequency domain" and the other in the "time domain". NIR mode is what I call "time domain" and, as such, introduces some time delay. This makes it useless in QSK CW mode, and if you monitor your CW or SSB signal, you'll want to either disable it during transmit or use the bypass feature to disable it. I used the "dynamic peaking" processor, the "frequency domain" all of the time. It is equivalent to the Timewave and W9GR standard operating mode, but does a better job than either. Combine this with the passband controls (center freq and width) and you have a very strong combination against noise. When these were not quite enough, I would add in some of the NIR processing to gain a little more. Too much NIR will result in the strange artifacts that many people who don't like DSP complain about, but the ability to vary the aggressiveness of the NIR allows one to choose as conditions warrant. The "Notch" filter works extremely well on multiple heterodynes. It will remove RTTY or CW signals completely. The control arrangement, size and weight of the unit make it one of the easiest to adjust quickly. I have not used my NIR-12 for the last year as my new Omni VI+ has excellent on-board DSP, but the NIR-12 still tops my list as the best outboard unit that can be purchased. By the way, if you like to experiment with DSP, there is an add-on kit available to allow you to write your own processing algorithms and view the output on your PC. Although JPS appears to not have a web site up any more, there is information available at:
73, Duane AC5AA@juno.com