Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | AZDEN PCS-6000H Help

Reviews Summary for AZDEN PCS-6000H
AZDEN PCS-6000H Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.azden.co.jp

You can write your own review of the AZDEN PCS-6000H.

K8SX Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2012 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Love this old radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only problem I have now is the "HOLD" light is on and I can't find a way to remove it. (I hit the wrong button and it came on.) The manual doesnt tell you how to remove it. These manuals have a lot to be desired!

Any help???

KC9SNB Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2010 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some years ago, I bought a Kenwood HF rig, and this little Azden was thrown in by the seller to sweeten the deal. The Kenwood rig went on to bigger and better things, and the little Azden went on a shelf and eventually ended up in a basement storage space – for about six years. My two meter needs were well taken care of by a pair of handhelds.
Recently, I had a need for a little two meter to be installed in my truck on a vacation. Remembering the Azden, I dug around the basement and finally found it. Taking it upstairs, I hooked it up to my power supply, and expected the worse. It immediately lit up and came on, with no problems. I scrolled through the frequencies a bit, made a couple of contacts, and noted that receive was much batter than either of my handhelds. Amazingly, with the two units within feet of each other, transmitting on my handheld on a nearby frequency produced no interference or crosstalk. With fifty watts on tap, the Azden also gets out much better than a handheld. For that matter, my Kenwood TS-711 base has only 25 watts.
As has been alluded to here, programming the little beast was a chore, but not an insurmountable one. The biggest pain is putting in the tones, which can not be entered directly, but need to be entered according to a code on a table in the manual. Programming this unit brings back memories of the high tech of the eighties and early nineties. A button scrolls you through various menus, while you make selections with other buttons.
One interesting thing is that duplex TX/RX frequencies are entered manually and separately, rather than putting in a repeater frequency and selecting an offset. What this means is a bit of a cumbersome process for setting up repeater channels, but also that any offset may be set – any at all.
The radio has two banks of ten memory channels each. I know this is not much, by today’s standards, but come on. How many repeaters do you hit in your city? In my area, I only use about five or six. On my trip, a friend and I were hitting local repeaters in Minnesota, and South Dakota, that I had found on the net, and preprogrammed into the radio. My home frequencies stayed in bank A and the new local repeaters went into bank B.
At the Badlands, I was able to hit the Rapid City repeater from parts of the park, probably 60 miles away. I was rarely able to work this with either of my handhelds. The radio looks nice, performs well, and once the memories are programmed, is easy to use. From the handhelds, this thing sounded like a base.
This is a double conversion receiver, while both of my handhelds are newer technology, and feature triple conversion. I can see no advantage to the triple conversion in the handhelds. The Azden is more sensitive, more selective and just sounds better. The two watt audio probably helps.
In addition to everything else, the radio is built like a little tank. It has a metal chassis and frame, and is quite heavy for its size. I give this radio a strong five, simply because it does everything I expect it to, does it well, and has given me no problems. Amazingly, after all this time, the battery back up for the memory still works.

CERTNEAL Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2009 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my First mobile rig, have had a handheld a few weeks but wanted to comment on it. So far it is working great, small size and despite what people say about programming it I find it rather simple after just a bit of studying the manual. This could be because I haven't gotten used to the way new rigs work.

I have hit repeaters on low power 50 miles away and they said I sound great, I have also hit repeaters 100+ miles away on full power. So far I am well pleased with this radio and look forward to using it many years!

KJ4OPC

K2ROK Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2005 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Hot receiver, nice solid rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For it's time this must have been quite a radio to unpack and enjoy in the 80s. Today, it does not do anything as easy as modern-day rigs, but I am enjoying this radio.

Programming is cumbersome, or more like, odd. Obviously things in that department have smoothed out and make more sense in today's offerings from radio manufacturers.

Azden certainly made a solid rig with a nice, sharp receiver. It is very sensitive, but the audio is a little too sharp. Could use a little more bass response. Reminds me of my Icoms, but with more sharpness and tin in the audio.

Display is nice, clean and easy on the eyes. The size of the rig is perfect and similar to most rigs of today.

Mic is lightweight, but feels rugged and almost commercial-grade in some respects.

The real shame is that Azden is no longer in the ham radio business. Their later products in the 90s were something to contend with, and looked sharp and worked great from owners of the equipment.

KB3LKW Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2005 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
(KB3LKW)This is a great little radio,I have hit repeaters 45 miles away with a copper J-pole stuck in the ground in my front yard.This radio is easy to program compared to some other rigs I have.Read the manual a few time and you will get the hang of it.Although with out a manual it will be very diffecult to program this radio.Great output on high of 52 watts on mine and around 25 on low power.Has the am aircraft freq. capabilities.I give this radio a 5 because of the performance of the radio not because diffeculty in programing.If you want to bash the manual give it a 3 or 4 not the radio.If you can find on $150.00 is worth investing in this radio. 73's

N3HKN Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2002 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice Used Market Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the entirety of the previous review. Rugged and reliable is the best description. Programming memoris is wierd but you catch on. Find one-buy it. I still have mine but now relegated to the shelf because I won a new radio at a hamfest.
N3HKN

WB4M Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2002 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid 2mtr xcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just noticed that there were no reviews for this rig so thought I'd be the first, hi.. I bought this radio back around 1986, and have had it ever since. I guess for a radio from it's release date in the mid '80's it is a pretty good one. I have not had a single problem with it other that dropping the mic, but that's not the rig's fault. It has basic features that are standard on 2 meter rigs of today, scanning, a handful of memory channels (20) TT mic, and power output of 10 watts low/50 watts high. I've used this rig as a mobile, then dedicated to 2 meter FM phone as a base unit and then used with a local DX packet cluster.
The only real gripe I have with this rig is the difficulty in programming the memories. Forget about doing it while mobile, unless you make me the beneficiary to your life insurance policy. You have to go through a series of steps to program in the Xmit freqs, offset, and sub-audible tones.. For instance, if you are driving and find a repeater on 146.67, you cannot simply set the dial to 146.67 and select -600 offset and start talking.
But the programming pain is the only complaint I have and therefore give it a 4. It's a good rig that could be had real cheap at a hamfest.