Reviews Categories | Electron Tubes | EIMAC 3CX800A7 Help

Reviews Summary for EIMAC 3CX800A7
EIMAC 3CX800A7 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Hi-Mu TRIODE with Indirectly heated cathode.

You can write your own review of the EIMAC 3CX800A7.

K9BF Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2011 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Tube but ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
RF parts now wants $1800 for a pair. That's just plain nuts.

N4JHY Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2010 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous tube  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My whole ham career of 25 years was using 572B's and Eimac 3-500z tubes. Back in May I bought a sick Alpha 76PA and repaired it. Along the way of the repair, I snagged a new pair of Eimac 3cx800A7's and converted this nice amp to these tubes, rather than buying three 8874's. This is my first venture with metal/ceramic tubes, and I must say I am delighted! 52 watts drive and the amp loafs along at 1500 watts PEP output. The grid current meter just barely wiggles. Also, without all that hot glass, the shack stays much cooler. I am sold! The nicely numbered skirted tune and load knobs allow me to "dial in" to where I want to operate. Set the drive to 52 watts and 1500 effortless watts emanate from these excellent tubes. Yea they are expensive, but if you do the yearly math, they are a great deal.+++++++++

AC5XP Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2008 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Tough as nails  Time owned: more than 12 months
They are expensive as if they were gold dipped instead of silver plated, but the durability and linearity of the 3CX800A7 is unsurpassed. I have them in my Ten Tec Titan and they perform like gangbusters. Two tubes in parallel are just loafing at full legal power, with an input drive of only 60 watts.
I actually had planned to take the tubes out of the Titan, and buy a Commander HF-2500 without tubes to re-use the Eimacs in it. But the Commander guys hardly gave me any discount on such a deal so I decided to keep the Titan. I now plan to rebuild the Titan by rewiring it using Teflon wiring and coax cables terminating in SMA connectors. That also would require me to re-layout some of the boards in the TenTec to facilitate the SMA connectors. I just cannot believe that TenTec did not do such construction from the start - the price I paid for the amplifier certainly would have justified it!

KO4NX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2007 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Energizer Bunny of Tubes  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have the original set of these in my both of my Titan 425's (Going on 12 years now). 40 - 50 Watts Drive still yields full legal limit. I have made mistakes with overdriving, with no apparent ill effect on the tube performance or life span.

Over the years I have managed to stock two extra sets of these tubes, and have found them at very reasonable cost ($200 - $300 per Tube). Lets assume I paid actual retail for these tubes, $1000.00 per set. I estimate that I spent around $83.00 for the set per year. This is really not too bad when compaired to other brand tubes who are known to have a short life cycle.

Would I consider another amplifier using the same tubes, you bet!

K9RX Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2006 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Great tube  Time owned: more than 12 months
20 years old now and still easily putting out 1500W with about 60W in. The TenTec Titan IS, contrary to one posting - as are these tubes - GREAT for contesting! Also the one negative about the Titan is it only warns you of overgrid current - it does not fault on this - but i have HIT it hard many times and still no ill effect.

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2006 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Not $1000 each  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a pair in my alpha 87a and they work. BTW you can buy eimac brand from ameritron( mfj) for $559 and frome rfparts the sevtlanias for $530 each..

ya want to play ya got to pay.

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2004 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Good so far  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'll give them a 4 overall, because I think Eimac is overcharging for this tube just because of ISM customers. I have a pair in my TT Titan 425 that are about 6 years old and still going strong. I don't think I'd contest with this amp at $1000. for a set of tubes, but for extra oomph in casual operation as I do, they work fine.

W7DUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2004 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Very trouble free tube  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used 2 3CX800/A7 tubes in a Command Technologies Commander HF-2500 for six years now. Still going strong.

Also using a single 3CX800/A7 in the Ameritron AL-800, for about 5 years. Tube performance is still very strong.

VE2DC Rating: 0/5 Jan 27, 2004 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Too expensive for Ham use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good performing tube... but who can afford them. I have, for the third time in 12 years, a shorted 3CX800A7. It's going to cost me $1000US for a new pair... I think it may be time to retire the Ten Tec Titan, or modify it to use cheaper tubes!

W2EH Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2002 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Reliable tube when used in properly designed amplifier.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a pair of these tubes in the Commander HF-2500 for 5 years. They are reliable in a well designed amplifier, having grid protection and operated within the Eimac ratings.
The indirectly heated cathodes may take 3 minutes to warm up, but the filiments only draw 1.5 Amps each. There is no need for a heavy screen supply or high current filiment transformer.