Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | B&W Model AXS-80 Extra Short Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for B&W Model AXS-80 Extra Short Dipole
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $127.50
Description: 65 foot long extra short trap dipole for 80,40 and 15 meter bands, 500w output
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/eng/bwcat.eng.htm

You can write your own review of the B&W Model AXS-80 Extra Short Dipole.

N3RIK Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2002 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Good for my situation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a urban area in old building, have just enough room to sling this antenna up from a mast on peek of roof to the corners of the roof in a proper inverted v configuration. My QTH is brick and wood, the antennas highest point its a good 80 feet up from the street down yonder. Building the antenna took some skill and TLC. I wanted to do the job right and it took a afternoon to get it tuned where I wanted it and with soldering and mechanical connections worthy of Mil-Spec. Tuning the antenna was not that bad - but not much fun on a windy day. Bandwidth is a little narrow as dictated by the laws of physics, a tuner is most useful in overcoming this. My main reason for this antenna was to get on select frequencies on 40 meters and 75 meters ASAP without having to use a tuner, this antenna does that job nicely, and it fits into my limited space situation. It does not get a 5 because I didnt like the materials and design of the center conductor. I replaced it with a w2du current balun. Another reason the antenna does not get a 5 is because the MSRP is way to high, I bought it from a big ham supply outlet at a much better price....so far, in my situation and for my needs, I like My little B&W.