Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | W4RT Electronics "One BIG Punch" Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Electronics "One BIG Punch"
W4RT Electronics Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: One BIG Punch (OBP) is a custom add-on accessory for the Yaesu MH-31 microphone commonly used with many Yaesu amateur radios such as the FT-817. The One BIG Punch is an AF-based speech compressor specifically configured to provide remarkable increase in talk power while maintaining good audio quality (articulation) for communication purposes. The unit can be mounted inside the MH-31, requires no additional electrical power, and can be turned on or off by using the MH-31's TONE switch. The One BIG Punch can also be install inside the FT-817 and then no modification to the MH-31 is required.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Electronics "One BIG Punch".

AB9TX Rating: 3/5 Sep 19, 2013 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product, poor implementation...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I knew this product would require modification- so went ahead and purchased the "installed" version.
Checking it out on my FT-450 with the dummy load it worked well only with my mouth 2 inches from the mic- I have a soft voice, so this is not too much of a problem. Adjusted the mic gain in the radio for low, EQ flat. Connected to an antenna it would oscillate and put out horrible wind noise. I can only assume as others that this chip is highly sensitive to RF.
Disassemble- wrap in foil as others, and add .1uf decoupling cap across the +5v and ground.
Works well now, good reports. Made 4k mile plus DX contact on first try.
Bottom line- product is a great idea, poor implementation.

NZ1MT Rating: 0/5 Dec 18, 2012 15:16 Send this review to a friend
One Big Disappointment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the W4RT Electronics one Big Punch kit from Gigaparts and installed it in my FT-817ND MH-31 microphone per the instructions. Adjusted FT-817ND SSB mic gain in menu settings to control ALC (per instructions). All on air reports report distortion. Have also done the Faraday shield modification wrapping the W4RT board in foil again with no on air improvement.

Ended up buying another MH-31 and tossing the W4RT mic into the spare parts box.

In summary the "One Big Punch" is "One Big Disappointment". Save your money.

AB1QX Rating: 0/5 Nov 26, 2012 07:31 Send this review to a friend
unhappy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the pre-installed microphone, on-air
audio reports were very bad. Notified W4RT, was told he knew about this, it was caused by rf pickup by his "improvement". Suggested I wrap his unit in the foil musicians use to isolate guitar pickups and ground it. I feel that selling a product with such a known and glaring flaw---without even a warning-- is something less
than candid and reflects strongly on his business ethic. While YMMV, I urge caution.

W5NNN Rating: 0/5 Nov 9, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Unusable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the pre-assembled version. With OBP on, no one can hear most of my speach unless I shout into the mic. In short, things are much better with it off. No response from the vendor whatsoever, not even scorn. I feel scammed.

K8ESE Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my OBP modification done and works out very nice...I never could make a contact on my new Yaesu FT 817 the past few months using a "Miracle" portable antenna until now! W4RT folks answered my emails fast, and the service was quick! It is great to know they stand by their product and are sincerely helpful.....I definitely will purchase and have them install the cw and ssb filter board....It felt like for a time that I shouldn't have purchased the FT 817ND because of experiencing poor qrp performance with it, but W4RT came to the rescue....great reliable folks there! ....and their cost is very affordable...

KJ6QLD Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installation was a bit delicate, but the instructions where very comprehensive and accurate.
Speaking into a dummy load with my FT817 and watching the needle on my watt meter, I'd estimate I'm putting out at least half again as much average power on SSB. Had a test QSO with a friend in noisy conditions who reported that with the OBP off he was getting every other word, whereas with it on he was getting almost everything I said. Seems like one of the best bang for your buck options to improve SSB transmission with an 817. Takes up no space, uses no power, turns off with a simple switch, and doesn't cost a whole lot either. I am very pleased.

KK4HP Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Works great, big improvement.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up for my FT-857D on a whim, found a Demo special at AES and it was a good deal. Installation was easy for me but if you don't have experience working with small components, a steady hand, a Weller or similar quality solder work station and magnification, you might opt for professional installation. It took about 20 minutes start to finish. Instructions are straight forward & clear. The ferrite beads are packaged in two envelopes and labeled for the wire in which they are to be installed. No problems were encountered with the installation.

I initially had second thoughts after reading how the OBP primarily referenced the FT-817. The FT-857D has it's own adjustable speech compressor, mic gain and mic equalizer and I was worried that it would be overkill.

Upon testing, it was quite clear that it made a tremendous improvement in the average power output on the external wattmeter compared to the stock mic. In the case of the FT-817, I'd say it would be a must have in order to get the most from QRP operation. On the FT-857D, there is no doubt that it made an improvement in getting heard in a DX pile up. Previously, I had difficulty getting a reply from S9 DX stations, now the radio performs like my 100W Icom rig and I'm able to make those DX contacts.

There's no doubt that the MH-31 is lacking in performance, the OBP is one option that definitely makes a difference.

KC2QBK Rating: 2/5 Sep 18, 2011 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Mistake  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a "One BIG Punch Speech Compressor"
factory installation for the Yaesu mic used with my FT-817ND.

Mic seemed to oscillate from the first day.
Thought it was me or the rig setting and put it aside. Played with the 817 setting with no luck. Then tried it with my FT-857D with the internal processor turned almost to zero and using it would almost have some sort of tone. Changed the mic setting in the 857 menu and no change.
???
Maybe it is me.
i'm not satisfied with this product.
i SHOULD have contacted the manufacturer but now too much time has passed.
Judge for yourself.
This is a comment regarding my experience with this _one_ item. No knock on the company itself.
Not happy at all.

N5WJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 9, 2011 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Big Punch for My IC-703's HM-103 Mic... I see it has rave reviews for the Yaesu mics and works well with the 817 but for me it just didn't work well.. The Mic is just too hot for the 703.. even with the Mic Gain at 1 or 2 it overdrives and distorts the audio.. I used it and the Heil Headset I have and the headset was just better, I emailed the Ralph for any input on what I might be able to do but haven't heard from him... I am sure it works well for some microphones/and rigs but I really can't use it here..

Frank N5WJ

KK7SS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Mine works fine..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ditto subject...
Nothing needs to be added..