Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | W4RT Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Electronics
W4RT Electronics Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: One BIG Punch (OBP) is a custom add-on accessory for the Yaesu MH-31 microphone commonly used with many Yaesu amateur radios such as the FT-817. The One BIG Punch is an AF-based speech compressor specifically configured to provide remarkable increase in talk power while maintaining good audio quality (articulation) for communication purposes. The unit can be mounted inside the MH-31, requires no additional electrical power, and can be turned on or off by using the MH-31's TONE switch. The One BIG Punch can also be install inside the FT- 817 and then no modification to the MH-31 is required.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Electronics .

KJ6QLD Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installation was a bit delicate, but the instructions where very comprehensive and accurate.
Speaking into a dummy load with my FT817 and watching the needle on my watt meter, I'd estimate I'm putting out at least half again as much average power on SSB. Had a test QSO with a friend in noisy conditions who reported that with the OBP off he was getting every other word, whereas with it on he was getting almost everything I said. Seems like one of the best bang for your buck options to improve SSB transmission with an 817. Takes up no space, uses no power, turns off with a simple switch, and doesn't cost a whole lot either. I am very pleased.

KK4HP Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Works great, big improvement.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up for my FT-857D on a whim, found a Demo special at AES and it was a good deal. Installation was easy for me but if you don't have experience working with small components, a steady hand, a Weller or similar quality solder work station and magnification, you might opt for professional installation. It took about 20 minutes start to finish. Instructions are straight forward & clear. The ferrite beads are packaged in two envelopes and labeled for the wire in which they are to be installed. No problems were encountered with the installation.

I initially had second thoughts after reading how the OBP primarily referenced the FT-817. The FT-857D has it's own adjustable speech compressor, mic gain and mic equalizer and I was worried that it would be overkill.

Upon testing, it was quite clear that it made a tremendous improvement in the average power output on the external wattmeter compared to the stock mic. In the case of the FT-817, I'd say it would be a must have in order to get the most from QRP operation. On the FT-857D, there is no doubt that it made an improvement in getting heard in a DX pile up. Previously, I had difficulty getting a reply from S9 DX stations, now the radio performs like my 100W Icom rig and I'm able to make those DX contacts.

There's no doubt that the MH-31 is lacking in performance, the OBP is one option that definitely makes a difference.

KC2QBK Rating: 2/5 Sep 18, 2011 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Mistake  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a "One BIG Punch Speech Compressor"
factory installation for the Yaesu mic used with my FT-817ND.

Mic seemed to oscillate from the first day.
Thought it was me or the rig setting and put it aside. Played with the 817 setting with no luck. Then tried it with my FT-857D with the internal processor turned almost to zero and using it would almost have some sort of tone. Changed the mic setting in the 857 menu and no change.
???
Maybe it is me.
i'm not satisfied with this product.
i SHOULD have contacted the manufacturer but now too much time has passed.
Judge for yourself.
This is a comment regarding my experience with this _one_ item. No knock on the company itself.
Not happy at all.

N5WJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 9, 2011 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Big Punch for My IC-703's HM-103 Mic... I see it has rave reviews for the Yaesu mics and works well with the 817 but for me it just didn't work well.. The Mic is just too hot for the 703.. even with the Mic Gain at 1 or 2 it overdrives and distorts the audio.. I used it and the Heil Headset I have and the headset was just better, I emailed the Ralph for any input on what I might be able to do but haven't heard from him... I am sure it works well for some microphones/and rigs but I really can't use it here..

Frank N5WJ

KK7SS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Mine works fine..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ditto subject...
Nothing needs to be added..

KB0SFP Rating: 0/5 Nov 16, 2010 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Again, SAVE YOUR MONEY!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a follow up to a report I made on the "new" w4rt OBP audio processor. The one I reported on initially was purchased new at Dayton 2010. It not only does not work, but has several problems not the least of which was RF infiltration. But I wanted to be fair. So I purchase a second OBP, this one an early version that had not been installed before.

Conditions, 40mtrs, pour propagation & high noise level. I tried the "old" OBP first with listening stations on both coast. Radio used was an FT-817 with an HLA-150 amp for about 125 watts output. I started with the radio on the 'B' positron(OBP on), then switched the the 'A' position(OBP off). Those listening unanimously chose Position "B"(OBP on) as the best audio under these poor conditions.

I repeated the above A/B test with second mic(currently produced OBP). This time I inverted the selection, "A"(OBP on), "B"(OBP off). Again the testimony of the listening stations was unanimous, The "B" possion(OBP off) was better.

It's very clear to me, as before, the currently produced W4RT OPB audio processor, DOSE NOT WORK, save your $65+! The early production OPB(no longer produced) dose work.

Dennis Starks
Military-Radio-Guy
KB0SFP
Monitor(all USB):
3996, 5403.5, 7296, 14342.5, 18157.5

KB2VMG Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great product. My first SSB QSO was on a very noisy 40m band to another ham operating more than 360 miles away on an island off the coast of Maine with a low G5RVJr. Signal report was a 57. I was using a trapped dipole with a long coax run. Not bad.

As for W4RT's service, it couldn't be better. My emails were answered promptly and when I made a mistake and overpaid for shipping, my money was refunded before I even knew I had overpaid. Kudos W4RT.

Bob
KB2VMG

KD5KC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 23:43 Send this review to a friend
OBP and FT-817  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The installation was a not to hard. Simple tools and the great directions were enough.

I have the OBP installed along with the OBF with the Collins 500 hz CW filter and the Collins SSB filter. They were installed shortly after I got the new FT-817ND.

The conbination of the processor and the filter were amazing. They claim up to 5 dB of talk-power increase with the OBP. I believe it. In addition, the Collins SSB filter is said to have another 2 dB of added talk power.

Several friends who know my voice well say I sounded much "fuller" with the Collins SSB filter. When using a 5-watt radio, that is important. From that standpoint alone it was worth it. In addition, I did an A/B with the OBP speech processor. All my friends agreed that it made a huge difference with the FT-817. On SSB it is hard for my ears to detect any difference at all for receiving with the filter. That may just be me.

As a side-note, the 500hz CW filter really makes a difference on CW. If you will be using CW at all, consider the OBF filter board too. Add the BHI-DSP unit and you have a radio that does everything but spin the power meter. The OBF was worth the price.

N4KZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2009 12:14 Send this review to a friend
One big improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the One Big Punch about two weeks for my FT-817ND. Never before have I worked so much SSB DX. Of course, having good antennas is most of the battle but when I walk among the Land of the Giants on 20-meter SSB and consistently work DX stations with 5 watts and get good signal reports, something is working right. When I listen to my own audio in another rig, I can see about a 5-6 db increase on the receiver's S-meter while transmitting with the OBP on vs. turning it off.

I worked another guy using an FT-817 the other day on 17-meter SSB and he reports hearing a big punchy improvement from my 817 with the OBP turned on. I like it and when you're operating with 5 watts out on SSB, you need all the help you can get.

73, N4KZ

K2SGT Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PRODUCT,A MUST HAVE!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
PERFECT!!! AWESOME!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE NOT ONLY IN LOUD AND PUNCHY BUT THE CLARITY IS ALSO MUCH IMPROVED!! I ONLY USED IT ON FM SO FAR AND IT SOUNDS GREAT!! I AM TOLD IT IS BETTER ON SSB SO I AM EXCITED TO USE IT THERE TOO. EXCELLENT REPORTS BOTH WITH THOSE THAT HEARD THE RADIO BEFORE AND THOSE THAT HAVE NOT. ALL HAD NOTHING BUT POSITIVE COMMENTS. I WAS GOING TO GET THE MD100A8X BUT DID NOT REALLY WANT A DESK MIKE. I USE THE RADIO IN THE SHACK ONLY BUT PREFER A HAND MIKE. I AM GLAD I GOT THE OBP!!! GET IT....YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.