Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Azden PCS-7500 Help

Reviews Summary for Azden PCS-7500
Azden PCS-7500 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $530
Description: 6m FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.azden.co.jp

You can write your own review of the Azden PCS-7500.

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Was a fun way to get on 6M mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won a PCS-7500h from an ARRL used gear auction, that far back... Even where I lived at the time there weren't very many 6M repeaters but I put it in my pickup just the same. Occasionally I would find a contact on 52.525 simplex also.

OK, the radio... It worked just fine. It was fairly small and light for a 50W radio, and in those days, especially on 6M you wouldn't need a huge number of memory channels. The tx audio reports were excellent and the rx audio was a little pinched sounding without an external speaker, but most small radios are like that, so I don't count that as a hit. It seemed a little sensitive to noise on the DC power, at least I'd be occasionally told there was whine on the tx signal. It was a little cumbersome to program the memories unless your area happened to be using the 'standard' repeater split. Thus the 4.

I sold the radio to a friend in one of the periodic excess radio purges I do.

W9MT Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2012 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for a band that is quiet most of the time.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Stumbled across this little gem at the Show Low, AZ hamfest on June 2nd of this year. Negotiated the seller down to $40, grabbed the radio and carried it to the car as fast as my feet would go. Powered it up at home the next day and found that it put out an honest 57 Watts which never sagged below the advertised 50 Watt level even after some long test transmissions. Low power was 13 to 14 Watts, depending on in what part of the band you were transmitting.

Had to fix an issue with the PTT lever in the mic, but that was EZ.

One of the panel lamps was dead and needed replacing. I've seen dialogue elsewhere on eHam about the bulb voltage, and found that it needed a 12V bulb, and not the 6V ones the Kenwood TM-X21A series of radios use. Not wanting to place an online order with a minimum purchase, a model railroad grain of wheat/rice "mid-sized" 14V bulb worked nicely. It is a bit of chore to do the replacement. One has to be very careful with the re-installation of the LCD to get it to display correctly.

Be very careful with spray lubricants and contact cleaner around LCD's, as they can distort the conductive elastomer strip needed to connect the glass to the metal fingers on the display board. (I lost a Kenwood TM-421A this way doing a similar panel light bulb replacement, when I also needed to use some WD-40 on a balky hi/lo output switch on the front panel.)

The bulb replacement was successful, but I also realized the prior owner had cracked the diffuser which backlights the controls and the LCD. The top to bottom cracks just don't transmit light as thoroughly as a solid plastic piece, so I had to remove the little elastic boots on the bulb envelopes that gave the display an "amber" color. The display lights nicely now with only a bit of dimming due to the cracked plastic in the middle. I actually like its current shading better than the "amber".

Well, I programmed the local Tucson 6m repeater into the radio, as well as those in Phoenix, and a few from other parts of the USA, as well as the main and secondary 6m simplex frequencies. I can key up the Tucson repeater well, confirming my clear, clean audio and signal with a Rat Shack scanner.

So, I really like the radio, but need to make a few contacts. I put out calls, but haven't raised a QSO yet. I either need a sporadic-e or tropo band opening or someone local to work on the air. Give me a call back if you hear me on the 53.720 repeater or 52.525 simplex. (I keep scanning all 20 memory channels each night.)

I got my $40 worth. The radio's a "keeper", but it would be nice to work someone on this seemingly vacant band.

AA1PR Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Awesome !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
once you get past the odd programming which is easier than some you are golden

I had the 7500H which is now in transit that had an output power of 50 watts

too bad azden got out of the amateur market

KB3HSY Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid Reliable Stable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sensitivity is awesome and power is stable. This rig sold for alot when introduced and is still worth half of regular retail in the used market (approx $250~280)in my opinion. I have 2 units, one has stayed in a box (used as a base for limited time) and the other in operation for over 5 years and not a single issue, if you are in the market for a mobile 6 then this is it, heck do once and do it right, I don't think you will be unhappy with this unit.

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 05:46 Send this review to a friend
A sterling performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
According to the heading of this article, the Azden PCS-7500 lists the price at $530. Believe me, i paid no where near that for mine! It is a very good radio and is easier to operate than the Azden PCS-5000. I had the 6m Azden PCS-7500 permanently installed in a Ford Taurus for over 7 years and over 1,000,000 km (636,000 miles)!! This radio was always on and tuned to 52.525 MHz. It never gave any trouble and provided many a pleasant surprise when Es propagation would come along.

N7OXL Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2006 21:33 Send this review to a friend
The Best Radio Ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You will not find a better radio than this.

The Greatest 6 meter mobile !!!!

VE3TIZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2003 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Shame They Stopped Making It  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a shame Azden got out of the amateur radio business. The PCS-7500H represents GREAT value in a 6-metre band mobile rig. Reliable and top performing. 50 watt output was and still is not to be topped by the competition. Price was right too. I own two of these rigs. If you see one on the used market for a good price, snap it up!

AB0SF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2002 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Best 6 meter radio I've ever owned.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, next to a Micor mobile, of course. I wish I still had that radio. If you can find one, buy it. You will not regret it. .28 uV sensitivity, a stable 50 watt output, and fairly easy to operate. Oh, it was pretty sensitive from 46-54 MHz, too!