Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-7R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-7R
Yaesu VX-7R Reviews: 316 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $369.00
Description: Quad band Hand held Xcvr

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-7R.

AC6DN Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2017 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Mine is better than 2003 review  Time owned: more than 12 months
My VX-7RB, is better than the one from my original 2003 review...

Many of my comments, before about changing the button layout and such still holds true...

-------------------------------------------------
So about a year ago (2015) I bought a used VX-7RB. This one is much-much better than the one I reviewed in 2003. Generally I am happy with this one...

However there are some problems:
-- I have a hard time reading the display - seems there is a contrast problem (even with it adjusted).
-- The DCS is heard in the receiving radios speaker (DPL Dev is too high).
-- If the SMA gets damaged, the whole rear panel has to be replaced, not just the connector? It cost me about $150 to get my VX7 repaired (bought damaged off ebay unknown to me at the time).
-- At higher volumes the speaker distorts.
-- In the duel receive mode, the code squelch doesn't exactly work.
-- Lastly the EPCS (Enhanced Paging & Code Squelch), is not supported (other radios made in this time frame had it)...

Generally I am happy with my purchase.
It was quite a learning curve to have an identical looking keypad and nothing was the same. What the...

AC6DN

N9ZL Rating: 1/5 Oct 1, 2016 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Every time I turn it on I remember why I hate it  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has the most awful user interface of any radio I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot of them.

Every single time I try to use it I have to resort to Google or reading the manual to even figure out how to get into the byzantine menu system (MONF, Set. Why not MENU?). There are no hints on the front panel how it is supposed to work. Even simple things like changing the CTCSS is an exercise in aggravation. And that's really a shame, because the radio has awesome frequency coverage, and it is a nice small size.

The radio has no squelch knob, despite having two rotary knobs on top. To adjust the squelch, you have to hit MONF, press the button on the side, use the main and sub buttons to go up and down, and then PTT to save it. None of these buttons are labeled for this function.

To change CTCSS you press MONF, 8 Tone, spin the knob until you get to #2 tone set menu, press Band to be able to change it (WHY? Why not just use Main/Sub directly like everywhere else?!?!?!), then use Main Sub to change the tone, press band again, then PTT to save. Why not just Function, tone, spin the knob, done? ARRRGH!

There's no hope for using the radio's more complicated functions on the fly. The radio is useless without the manual in your pocket.

YD6IBM Rating: 1/5 Jul 31, 2016 07:30 Send this review to a friend
poor components quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
first problem, within 2 years the receiver on both band gone deaf. problems solved after repalcing both filter on main and sub band. it cost me $10 for 2 filters & diy replacement.

second problem just occured, the freq. display's blinking. completely no rx/tx capability.
got the same issue from other forum which said that the problem comes from the pll unlocked.

still figure out how to solve this since service center is the last option due to some reasons.

RAINS Rating: 3/5 Feb 27, 2016 20:56 Send this review to a friend
It's just not a good radio.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my HT a lot and I had a vx-7r for a couple of years. I would rather use a $30 Uv-5r than a $300 vx-7r. Just stay away unless you can pick one up for $100bucks or are given a vx-7r don't buy one.

cons. Expensive, even used, super-super "bad" belt clip, gets really hot, too hard to adjust settings, poor quality RX/TX audio.

Pros, can work as a scanner too, Nice wide RX range. Small size, metal case. Tough as hell and waterproof!

I have had lots of handhelds but this one has been the worst.

N0RRS Rating: 3/5 Oct 30, 2015 16:01 Send this review to a friend
An honest review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these radios. My first was the silver version, the second was the black version. The silver version was used heavily as my main HT. I would take it with me everywhere. I had it for about 7 years before I sold it. The only difference between the silver and black was that darn silver paint. It tended to flake off. The black has gave me no problems. Here is my opinion of the radio:

PROS:
Military style
Rugged and sturdy
Capable of dual VFO and split
It covers 2m/440, 6m and even the 220 bands
It is an AWESOME wide band receiver for scanner use. Also capable of FM broadcast and WX receive
It can withstand brief dunking if submersed

CONS:
Silver version paint flakes off the case
Terrible belt clip design
Short battery life if not in "save" mode
No squelch knob, must use the menu to set
Menu is too intensive, far too many features
Each button does 3 functions, hard to memorize
Easily distorted audio if strong signal
Wall charger is HUGE, rapid desk charger EXPENSIVE
WIRES button is way too easy to get pushed and a real pain to figure out how to disable

If you can live with the negatives it is a pretty good radio overall, and makes a good scanner if you don't need a P25 digital capable scanner. I used mine for a scanner until my local cops with all P25 digital. Now I have sold both of mine and use the FT-60R which is a dream of simplicity.

N9LCD Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2015 20:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT FOR THE AIR BANDS AT ORD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing like using the VX-7R to monitor Clearance PTC-South; Chicago Center; or D-ATIS while at ORD Departure. Just last week heard "Hey, how're you listening to us" from an AA four-striper. They can't believe something something the size of the VX-7R can cover the VHF & UHF air bands.

I had the screw & washer holding the cover on the "EXT DC" jack come loose several times. Used a couple of drops of the XYL's nail polish as "Thread Lock".

Wish the memory labels or tags were longer. Seven characters is too short for anything other than repeater & amateur call signs.

The built-in clock keeps poor time (runs slow) and is almost impossible to set

VK4FIAT Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Wide coverage, good for emergency communication   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know a lot of reviews negative about the VX7R, but on my expirience this HT saves the day.
I got this second hand, un moded, after I do the wideband mods, I started to use it at work. I am working on an Airline company as an Avionics Engineer, sometimes I do riding on brakes from hangar to the airport bay's.
One afternoon during tow From hangar to the allocated bay,, the Auxiliary power unit failed (APU supplying bleed air/ air conditioning and electricity to the aircraft), while we are on hold short taxi way H3, awaiting clearance from the tower to cross runway, since aircraft on tow is the last priority, I need to turn off my battery to prevent it from discharging. Prior to turn it off I call the tug that I'm turning off the battery, intercom won't work, so I advised him to standby on the company frequency.
Since Yaesu VX7R is dual receive, I can still monitor The Tower(awareness for aircraft movements on airside) while at the same time monitoring on the company frequency. My VX7 did its job, modulation was not a problem, receiving was loud and clear + I attached the Flight crew headset (using CT91) headset adaptor for David Clark headset and put to Vox on level 5. Thanks for the Yaesu company, VX7 saves the day. Yes it did transmit on airband as my company frequency is using airband. Highly recommended. I know from the start I had a lot of finger trouble(part of my learning curve). So far so good, loving it.
73 DE VK4FIAT

VK3FMJA Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 20:41 Send this review to a friend
MASTERPIECE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my FIRST handheld radio and I have no complains. The specs of this radio and capabilty is unbelievable. This radio is built to last... The price is a bit dear but its worth paying for.

73....

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have both the VX-7 and VX-6. This little hand held is a great little radio. It has good audio for a hand held, and being able to survive in the rain is a real plus. I take it with me when I go Backpacking and charge it with a solar charger. Have not babied it, and it has always come through. I will leave my callsign (N8ZEE), because I am not worried about feed back.

G3GJW Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2013 10:26 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the VX-7R since it first available in G, regularly for emergency service use in bad weather. I agree that the stock ant is deaf and that the batteries run down quickly - but it does what it is meant to do. Do handheld perfectionists ever test competitive handhelds before chosing one?