Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-229A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-229A/H
Icom IC-229A/H Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $120.00
Description: 2 Meter Mobile

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-229A/H.

NX0E Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2016 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Hard to believe  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the IC-229H new sometime between 1990 and 1994. During the intervening years, it has been stored for a couple of years in between uses. The memory battery is shown as a "2032" type on the schematic that came with the manual. It never lost the memories! I have never changed the battery, and the channel memories still work great! When reactivating it in 2013 it still held the memory set from 1994. I reset it and put in local channels now, but wow! 22+ years from a lithium backup battery.

N5NLU Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2014 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first got into the hobby back in 1998, a ham that I barely knew gave this radio to me, free and clear. I used it hard for quite a while with no issues, upgraded to the Yaesu FT8000R which didn't last but 3 years. I went back to the 229H to put in the truck and the microphone was gone. I have no idea what I did with it. I got out of the hobby for 8 years and just got back into it and ran across the old 229H, put it on a power supply and it power up and received quite well. I still can not find a replacement microphone for this radio, so it just sits and monitors.

N5NLU

N4XTS Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Another classic Icom winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently got one of these in a trade. Remember them when they came out in 1990, wanted one- couldn't afford one as a 15 y/o kid. Well, 23 years later they still rock.

Great RX and smooth TX audio, superb sensitivity, and easy to operate, no manual needed. The rig is a nice compact size, yes- it does get warm, but if you have adequate airflow like you should with any radio, it's fine.

Display is easy to read, controls are logical, SET mode is a breeze, always liked the late 80's/early 90's Icom radios (IC-32AT anyone?) in this regard. Build quality is amazing, any wonder why they are still around almost a quarter century later?

Only complaint is the HM-56 mike, the DTMF keys are live when the "unlock" switch on top is off, meaning, if you grab the mike with your hand and press on the buttons, it will key up and transmit tones.

If you see one at a hamfest, grab it. You won't be sorry you did.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT Packet Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1991, a 229H. Used it in a couple of cars. Then put it on packet. It's been on APRS steady since 1998. 12-18 hours a day. Great radio. Have not had a mic. hooked to it since 1998. Not sure where it is.

LU8HRW Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Good rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reliable and strong rigs, easy to use and great Icom audio quality.I have the 229H four output (5,10,25,50 W)since 5 years ago.Big Signal/RF output indicator,easy to read.The only trouble is the HM56 microphone; the radio remain in TX mode when the mic is connected.Reemplacing all 5 capacitors inside the mic; repairs the problem.
Receive frequency aeronautics too.
73^
LU8HRW

KF8HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Good rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this when they were new, and I had it in my truck for many years. Only two issues during the 15+ years of ownership: mic switch needed replacement (no big deal - easy and cheap fix), and a diode blew which happened during an ice storm and the antenna coated up. Icom had it back to me in a flash. The heat sink does get warm on transmit but I never encountered any problems because of it. A good friend is now enjoying it. I do miss it.

RADIOWEENIE Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2007 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Works well but runs HOT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This ICOM 229A works well but on transmitting it gets HOT as a $2 nickle pistol. It is also a glutton for intermod. If i could find a heat sink from a 229H, i would snap it up and then give it a rating of 5.

KA7WZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 15:18 Send this review to a friend
The one that works  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig has never given me any problem, easy to operate, and strong as rock. Sold the newer rigs in favor of one that works best, - - - The IC-229H - - -

N9IXX Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 05:34 Send this review to a friend
workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought 2 of the 229H (50 watt version) on e-bay for around $70.00 what a bargain! Simple to use tough as nails great icom audio quality during transmissions what more can be said.

KG4ZLB Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2004 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up the 229H version this past weekend as I needed a small 2m only radio for the vehicle, paid $50 at a hamfest! Astonishing quality, 50w output on high, great receive reports, small and compact rig with a ton of features which is a surprise for an "old" radio. For its age, its features and its performance...10 out of 10. Plus running a less than secure vehicle (Jeep Wrangler), I am not as bothered about it being stolen as I would have been with my 706MKIIG!
If you are looking for a straight 2m, single mode, powerful radio, find one of these little gems!